Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th May 2018, 11:27   #1
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

Default Increase in mpg

For as long as I can remember my car has been averaging 44-45mpg. Last week I filled up in a different garage than I normally use. Brimmed car yesterday and I calculated 51 mpg.

Car had been driven over 650 miles before fill up and driven on same route as before.
Can fuel be that different in garages??
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2018, 11:37   #2
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

This could open a can of worms (again)..... I used to fill up my diesel with supermarket, and averaged 34/35 (automatic), but had some issues with a couple of fillups (in different supermarkets in town), so changed to 'proper' fuel - and now see 39/40mpg.

In our now gone Freelander, again used supermarket petrol, and again had issues, so changed to 'proper' petrol - didn't improve the mpg, but ran a hell of a lot better.

Only use 'proper' fuel in my CDT and in the new MG ZS we've just bought. My father (who does next to no mileage at all in a 45) also changed from supermarket fuel and is getting better mpg and the car runs better.

So, whilst some people will say there is no difference in the fuels, from my experience there is

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2018, 11:43   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Short answer is yes.

My monthly use of the car has next to no variation. Going from 'go' and tesco fuel to maxol, saw an increase in mileage from 420 ish to 450. As well as a noticeable increase in responsiveness.

You will also notice a slight increase due to ambient temps too. When I changed it was coming into winter but overall I reckon the weather to be worth 5 to 10 miles per fill. My father who like me didn't believe it would happen even commented on how his car seemed to perform better and get better mpg with branded fuel.

Some will disagree, and years gone I would have too, but I was pleasantly surprised. The super diesel from branded fuel companies though, I didn't notice any difference.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2018, 13:58   #4
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT number 1 of 25 celestial!!

In my various v6s, ive found that using a premium fuel such as momentum, optimax etc, gives around 20-30 miles a tankful more than the basic 95ron petrol. I've not found too much difference on my cdtis, apart from being slightly smoother.
However, I have recently noticed that my fuel economy has improved by the time of around 30 miles a tankful in my 190, and close to 50 miles in my cdti. The only thing different that has happened in the last couple of months that I've noticed is the weather has got warmer.
Dansrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2018, 14:35   #5
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelaaa View Post
For as long as I can remember my car has been averaging 44-45mpg. Last week I filled up in a different garage than I normally use. Brimmed car yesterday and I calculated 51 mpg.

Car had been driven over 650 miles before fill up and driven on same route as before.
Can fuel be that different in garages??
difference in air temp, pressure and humidity have a small effect, but not doing cold starts from sub zero help a lot too...
Old 15th May 2018, 20:47   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansrockin View Post
In my various v6s, ive found that using a premium fuel such as momentum, optimax etc, gives around 20-30 miles a tankful more than the basic 95ron petrol. I've not found too much difference on my cdtis, apart from being slightly smoother.
However, I have recently noticed that my fuel economy has improved by the time of around 30 miles a tankful in my 190, and close to 50 miles in my cdti. The only thing different that has happened in the last couple of months that I've noticed is the weather has got warmer.
And you just answered your own question. It’s warmer. Some people do not believe it. Those that don’t:- put 5 litres in a five litre can, and don’t put the top on. Tell me it did not overflow. Best time to fill up.............."...in the morning when it is still cooler.