Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th November 2014, 21:11   #1
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Default Be kind to "Newbies" please

Well having driven dozens of cars in my 45 years+ of driving, two years ago I bought my first 75 and joined the club as a "newbie" and asked possibly a few naïve questions, naïve that is to existing club members.
The vast number of members were kind and considerate in their response but there was the occasional element of sarcasm.

Currently there is a thread running by a potential, now hopefully, new 75 owner and what annoys me is one member whose self description reads "tantrums don't work" not only did their posts show they had not fully read the "newbies" post but when criticised, showed signs of the tantrums they abhor.

I'm amazed the Mods did not find a rule that would allow them to delete this guys threads and am thankful the "newbie" is thick skinned enough to ignore the sarcastic thread.

Now play spot the member.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=201361
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 21:55   #2
Nige B
This is my second home

honda civic

yes i agree , we were all new at one time ..if not for the friendly advice early on I may never have checked my plenum chamber and so protect the ecu..Courtesy costs nothing and although I am nowhere near as knowledgeable as some of the guys on here , I try to help or point in the direction of another member better suited to helping.

Nige B
Nige B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 22:41   #3
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

I just got a txt from a gumtree ad saying a 220 rover and u want 595 are u mad. After explaining I was asking for offers I got no response. Take the rough with the smooothe. You've been driving longer than I've been alive so I won't teach you to....... internet is full of opinion its up to you to ignore the less than constructive. Liken it to an open discussion in a pub theres always one loudmouth thats know it all but when pressed knows nothing....

My 2p worth; opinion I'm allowed aren't I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanjay View Post
Well having driven dozens of cars in my 45 years+ of driving, two years ago I bought my first 75 and joined the club as a "newbie" and asked possibly a few naïve questions, naïve that is to existing club members.
The vast number of members were kind and considerate in their response but there was the occasional element of sarcasm.

Currently there is a thread running by a potential, now hopefully, new 75 owner and what annoys me is one member whose self description reads "tantrums don't work" not only did their posts show they had not fully read the "newbies" post but when criticised, showed signs of the tantrums they abhor.

I'm amazed the Mods did not find a rule that would allow them to delete this guys threads and am thankful the "newbie" is thick skinned enough to ignore the sarcastic thread.

Now play spot the member.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=201361
lionatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 22:56   #4
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionatus View Post
I just got a txt from a gumtree ad saying a 220 rover and u want 595 are u mad. After explaining I was asking for offers I got no response. Take the rough with the smooothe. You've been driving longer than I've been alive so I won't teach you to....... internet is full of opinion its up to you to ignore the less than constructive. Liken it to an open discussion in a pub theres always one loudmouth thats know it all but when pressed knows nothing....

My 2p worth; opinion I'm allowed aren't I?
You most certainly are allowed your opinion as am I and we both appear to be mindful of club rules of being respectful and not discourteous towards other members.
I happen to think one club member pushed the boundaries on this occasion but I could be wrong.
Old 27th November 2014, 22:58   #5
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige B View Post
yes i agree , we were all new at one time ..if not for the friendly advice early on I may never have checked my plenum chamber and so protect the ecu..Courtesy costs nothing and although I am nowhere near as knowledgeable as some of the guys on here , I try to help or point in the direction of another member better suited to helping.
Been there back in the day

The "trouble" with this forum is that it is that fast moving the Mods cannot keep up with you lot We do our best, but if you see a post that is detrimental or simply "spamming" a thread, please report it... By clicking here This will go to all the Mods and hopefully, where necessary acted upon asap.

It is a fine line we walk and we try to be fair to all posters

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 23:09   #6
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
Been there back in the day

The "trouble" with this forum is that it is that fast moving the Mods cannot keep up with you lot We do our best, but if you see a post that is detrimental or simply "spamming" a thread, please report it... By clicking here This will go to all the Mods and hopefully, where necessary acted upon asap.

It is a fine line we walk and we try to be fair to all posters
Thanks for pointing me towards the warning triangle, mind you if a few members were more mindful of club rules in the first place, the Mods would not have so much trouble keeping up.
Old 27th November 2014, 23:16   #7
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for pointing me towards the warning triangle, mind you if a few members were more mindful of club rules in the first place, the Mods would not have so much trouble keeping up.

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 23:19   #8
chillyphil
Gets stuck in

MGZT-T

Quote:
You most certainly are allowed your opinion as am I and we both appear to be mindful of club rules of being respectful and not discourteous towards other members.
I happen to think one club member pushed the boundaries on this occasion but I could be wrong.
Looking on the bright side/glass half full side, I was impressed with amount of support and advice the newbie was offered, not many forums where this amount of help would be offered to a new member.
chillyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 23:39   #9
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillyphil View Post
Looking on the bright side/glass half full side, I was impressed with amount of support and advice the newbie was offered, not many forums where this amount of help would be offered to a new member.
I quite agree, it is the helpful and friendly side of the club that can attract people into the joys of Rover/MG 75 ownership and the best way of keeping the marque alive, far better making unwelcoming posts that could put a newbie off from buying a 75.
Thought I might try a warm and friendly colour for this post.

Old 27th November 2014, 23:46   #10
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

I am in no way knocking 'newbies', I was one, it was a while after joining before I asked for help. I chose to search and read posts regarding my fan, A/C, FBH, ECU & plenum etc......
I have no problem when someone asks after searching but quite frankly if they cannot be bothered to search then I cannot be bothered to help.
A little blunt I know but I learnt an awful lot from searching threads. All my personal opinion with absolutely no intention of offending anyone.
Just read Alanjay's post that wasn't there earlier, #feelfoolish.

Last edited by Billy1mate; 27th November 2014 at 23:48..
Billy1mate is offline   Reply With Quote