Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th February 2016, 19:56   #1
tidus72
Avid contributor

MG6

Default Anybody want a cheap Rover 75, Not Anymore !

Well I am rather miffed today

I sold my Rover 75 1.8t a couple of weeks ago and it was in fine fettle, the new owner messages me today saying he has taken it to the garage and his mechanic mate has plugged it into a diagnostic and come up with, engine miss fire, cat converter fault, fuel pump fault, oil temp sender fault, heater matrix is knackered and a couple of other things, and it needs new plugs, leads and coil packs ! he has only had it 2 weeks and managed 200 miles and knackered it up, now he is demanding his money back

I politely pointed out its had a new cat, new plugs, new fuel pump, full service etc but he is adamant its a piece of S*%T and wants his money back.

As he knows where I live and work I feel I have no option but to refund him, I am just gutted as I loved that car and only sold it to buy an automatic

So tomorrow I get it back and god knows what state its in, I really need to sell it but feel that if I fix her up again I may end up keeping her, or if she is that knackered selling her for parts

I just get so down when people are this way with a second hand car that in my mind was a minter

Last edited by tidus72; 28th February 2016 at 10:36..
tidus72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 20:11   #2
Juego
Gets stuck in

Skoda Superb

Sold as seen, tell him to jog on
Juego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 20:13   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidus72 View Post

I sold my Rover 75 1.8t a couple of weeks ago and it was in fine fettle, the new owner messages me today saying he has taken it to the garage and his mechanic mate has plugged it into a diagnostic and come up with, engine miss fire, cat converter fault, fuel pump fault, oil temp sender fault, heater matrix is knackered and a couple of other things, and it needs new plugs, leads and coil packs ! he has only had it 2 weeks and managed 200 miles and knackered it up, now he is demanding his money back

I politely pointed out its had a new cat, new plugs, new fuel pump, full service etc but he is adamant its a piece of S*%T and wants his money back.

As he knows where I live and work I feel I have no option but to refund him, I am just gutted as I loved that car and only sold it to buy an automatic

So tomorrow I get it back and god knows what state its in, I really need to sell it but feel that if I fix her up again I may end up keeping her, or if she is that knackered selling her for parts

I just get so down when people are this way with a second hand car that in my mind was a minter
I am sorry, but are you a car trader, if not, then you have no obligation to refund and return. How do you know this guy did not drive it like he stole it? Did you send off the V5 etc? If not or had delayed it, I would not want it back until he returns the V5 docs to you again (if you take this back) . Just because he knows where you live, does not give him any right to return it, and especially not to make threats. If you have been threatened in any way, report it to the police. I feel for you.

What kind of diagnostic? I have read some diagnostics can throw up false codes. (everyone has a mechanic mate hmmmm). Did he get a good deal? Has someone just told him that its a Rover, the head gasket will go, or it is **** etc. This makes me angry, I feel you are being taken advantage of. You sold a car in good faith, and the so called faults may or may not be there! Even if they are, it is a second hand car. It was his money, and should have done his due diligence!

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 20:14   #4
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Go and have a word with the people at the garage, he may be lying innit...
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 20:14   #5
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Quote:

I politely pointed out it's had a new cat, new plugs, new fuel pump, full service etc but he is adamant it's a piece of S*%T and wants his money back.

So tomorrow I get it back and god knows what state it's in, I really need to sell it but feel that if I fix her up again I may end up keeping her, or if she is that knackered selling her for parts

Hi,
The problem could be that when the new parts etc., were fitted, the garage or whoever did the previous work, forgot to remove the stored fault diagnostics information from the computers memory. Hence the buyer thinks all these faults are new, and has jumped to conclusions and is not prepared to accept the car with these listed faults.
Maybe if this was explained to him he would understand the situation.
On the other hand you may well be happier to take it back and find a better home for your car.
Regards,
Telfer.

Last edited by Telferstr; 24th February 2016 at 20:18..
Telferstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 20:39   #6
Southside
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

The guy sounds like an idiot. Do not give him his money back.

How do you know he hasn't swapped all the good bits off your old car onto another one? Who cares if he knows where you live, if he starts making threats call the police and say he's harassing you.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 20:40   #7
tidus72
Avid contributor

MG6

Thanks for your response guys, yes have explained about they are more than likely the old fault codes but that seems to make no difference, never in all my years have I had such a nasty response in selling a car to some one, yes he had the car cheap and got a bargain, so stuff him, I will get her back, sort her out and sell her to someone that cares, just hope he's not knackered the car up, he mentions nothing about head gasket etc.

Once it's gone for the second time that is the last time I sell a car !
Old 24th February 2016, 20:49   #8
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for your response guys, yes have explained about they are more than likely the old fault codes but that seems to make no difference, never in all my years have I had such a nasty response in selling a car to some one, yes he had the car cheap and got a bargain, so stuff him, I will get her back, sort her out and sell her to someone that cares, just hope he's not knackered the car up, he mentions nothing about head gasket etc.

Once it's gone for the second time that is the last time I sell a car !
He has had the car for a couple of weeks, if you are going to give his money back, I would not give it all back. Fair use, restocking fee, call it what you will, if he is going against the 'contract' (verbal agreement) then so can you But Do NOT do anything unless his name is currently on the V5. If he has been doing 100mph and been caught, or anything else like that, you could be in the line for it.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 21:30   #9
tidus72
Avid contributor

MG6

Yes v5 is in his name, I have told him I want it back in the same condition as I sold it too him, will be checking tyres, engine components, exhaust etc to make sure it's the same bits on the car, its funny he was really nice when I sold it to him, funny how people change
Old 24th February 2016, 21:39   #10
kc13661
I really should get out more.......

Freelander Td4

I would also deduct some cash as he has now added another registered keeper onto the V5

The guy is a NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- and I am afraid once the deal is done then that's it, especially after two weeks..... In reality he probably realises that Insurance is not that cheap and MPG is higher than expected,

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote