Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th May 2009, 11:17   #1
davecw000
Regular poster

rover 75 Saloon, Diesel

Default Towing and clutch problems

Anyone had problem with their clutch when towing in reverse – Was doing some towing recently and clutch seems to get very hot very quick – towing the boat is absolutely fine (1300 Kgs) but reversing any distance is causing a concern, not sure the clutch is up to it.

Have read on some caravan sites where other people are complaining about the same thing – Seems that since clutches no longer have asbestos in them they are not quite as good.

Anyone else had any problems?

Regards

David
davecw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 11:33   #2
Hampton Caught
Loves to post

ex MG ZT-T (sob!), Rover 25 and TR7 dhc pilot, but not all at the same time!

Dave,

My immediate thought concerns the trailer brakes. I'm presuming that a boat that heavy would have over-run brakes and these should disengage when the trailer is reversed, as a caravan's would. The brakes can engage when the trailer is reversed up an incline, which may be the case with a slipway.

Given the nature of the way the brakes work and the environment they are used in (salty or fresh water, they're both aggressive), I'd strip the brakes down and grease all the moving parts that need greasing.

My only other thought is that often when reversing, drivers will keep the speed down by slipping the clutch but keeping the revs up, which works the clutch surfaces hard. Dropping the revs and taking your foot off the clutch may help. I used to tow with a Discovery and the low ratio box was useful for manoeuvring without slipping the clutch - sadly not an option on our cars!

Hope that helps, and let us know what you discover

Steve
Hampton Caught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 11:45   #3
davecw000
Regular poster

rover 75 Saloon, Diesel

Steve

Thanks for that.

Trailer just serviced so breaks etc OK.

Your right about the revs and dipping the clutch - guilty as charged - But when I searched on-line about this, I was supprised to find so many people complaining about how long clutches seem to last in new cars. But as you say I guess it also depends upon how experienced at towing people are - I'm not....

David
davecw000 is offline   Reply With Quote