Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th October 2009, 15:00   #1
ALPACA
Gets stuck in

MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT

Default Diesel door/window rattle cured

:lol: I first noticed the phenomenon when driving my dad's CDT a while back, and when I bought my own Diesel 75, the annoying rattle/buzz/hum/vibration that permeates my eardrums whenever the old girl is ticking over on the driveway or sitting in traffic, or just poodling along slowly...... has managed to become an obsessive annoyance!!!!

Oh yes, it's easy to stop whilst driving along.....When it occurs, simply take your left index finger and gently press against the top right hand corner of the drivers door trim, and the buzzing stops...... Or, gently pull the top lip of the door plastic towards you and again, it ceases to exist..... And if you can keep your left finger in situ whilst doing the three hundred mile round trip with the wife and family to quaint country village of Much-Pestilance (just near Southampton), then job's-a-gooden

And I have tried everything I know to stop the buzzing, the most recent efforts being the stuffing of adhesive pads down the trim to no avail.....

So today, I decided enough was enough, the worm had turned, it was do or die. I decided to tackle the problem from a different angle so I studied the door and window for a few long minutes, rubbed my chin, shrugged my shoulders and went for a beer!!

This time, I decided to have a look at the channel between the top of the door trim and closest to the door glass, shown in the photograph below...

By luck, I had kept a length of washer jet rubber tubing left over from the recent upgrade to heated washer jets, and just for a bit of a giggle between 330ml bottles of Stella, I pushed the tube into the channel and noticed how snugly it fitted.

A quick turn of the ignition and.....'by the blood of Thor'.... a big negative on the buzz/rattle/hum/vibration front

With trial and error I soon realised that you do not need a length of tube to fill the entire length of the door/window channel (the window then struggles to open and close), you simply need to cut off a two or three inch section....

I tapered the end so that it fits snugly into the recess at the far right corner of the channel and played with a full piece of tubing, which caused a slight resisistance when the window is operated, and a three quarter section, which fits nicely, and does not cause the resistance....

The result when the window was wound up and I switched on the ignition, could very nearly make the maddened and enraged eyes of any half crazed Rover 75 Diesel owner turn dewy moist with sheer joy as, for the very first time since owning Roxy, I had no rattle/buzz/vibration/hum from my drivers door/window.......

OK, so perhaps I could make it look a little tidier, or perhaps someone could devise a more subtle device for the job, but right now, my work is done and more beer bekons......
MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT - Dynamic Red Tri-Coat with Sardana red Bader leather interior. K&N filter.Weathershields.Mudflaps.Sundshades.Slot mats.Quilted rear seat protector.Latch guards.Fabric & rubber mats.Fabric & rubber Loadliners.Full alloy spare.MG seatbelt covers.Aussie chrome tailgate strip & bumper protector.Autoglymn lifeshine.Indonesian tailgate badge.Chrome steering wheel cover.

Last edited by ALPACA; 26th October 2009 at 15:04..
ALPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 15:17   #2
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Very good. My front windows chatter or rather the mechanisms do & with a quick upward flick of the switches the windows go clunk & the noise goes away but it comes straight back within seconds I'm guessing there must be some wear in the window mechanisms another job for a sunny day
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 15:34   #3
wildfirejc
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto Diesel

Smile Window/Door rattle

We used araldite and glued the panel trim - no more rattle.
wildfirejc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 15:49   #4
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

The rattle on mine was traced to the door lock button, and was simply cured by a taking off the button surround and pushing a bit of sponge beside the pin, replacing the trim, making an invisible repair. (I broke one of the tabs that hold the trim in place, so do it carefully)

Not my discovery/invention, BTW, I found it on here or 'tuther side yonks ago.

Malcolm
Old 26th October 2009, 16:05   #5
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Diesels View Post
Very good. My front windows chatter or rather the mechanisms do & with a quick upward flick of the switches the windows go clunk & the noise goes away but it comes straight back within seconds I'm guessing there must be some wear in the window mechanisms another job for a sunny day
The only way I got rid of that particular annoyance was to replace the window channel.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 22:27   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I turn the Music or TV up loud...............
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote