Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th January 2023, 09:36   #11
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
And the last time you ever heard that someone was stopped and fined for driving with fog lights on when it was not foggy?
Stopped 2022. Stopped and fined 2019 (other issues, were discovered though).

Personally ,1995. Stopped and told to switch them off. But that was pre ceasefire/GFA.

sent from my iToilet Pro 3□

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2023, 12:18   #12
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
Because the standard 75 headlights are so poor I usually run with the front spot/fog lights on. However, finding the correct switch in the dark is a pain, usually accidently turn on the rear fogs or alter the dash illumination intensity.
Is it possible using a T4 to set it so the front spot lights come on automatically with the dipped headlights? If done is it legal and still acceptable for the mot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Mine are yellow 💛 as an aside, I wired mine to a drl kit to come on with ignition. A police lady very kindly stopped me and told me, quite nicely, to get them off 😎

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Well, on cars DRL's should not be lit with the headlights on*. They must go off. The eurobox I've got now uses the same lights for DRL's and sidelights, how? by dimming them 50% (and that's ok legally).

* N.B. on motorcycles this does not apply allowed to have DRL's on with headlights on, probably because you'll have trouble finding a modern motorcycle with a switch to turn the headlights off!

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2023, 12:57   #13
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Well, on cars DRL's should not be lit with the headlights on*. They must go off. The eurobox I've got now uses the same lights for DRL's and sidelights, how? by dimming them 50% (and that's ok legally).

* N.B. on motorcycles this does not apply allowed to have DRL's on with headlights on, probably because you'll have trouble finding a modern motorcycle with a switch to turn the headlights off!
BMW also use the Halos as DRL and dim them when the headlights are on.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2023, 14:10   #14
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Personally I've never found fog-lights on any car I've ever driven to be of any use whatsoever - apart from looking, well, flash from the outside.
Old 25th January 2023, 14:16   #15
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Front fog lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Personally I've never found fog-lights on any car I've ever driven to be of any use whatsoever - apart from looking, well, flash from the outside.

Simon
Old 25th January 2023, 17:23   #16
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
I use them at night on campsites, instead of headlights so not to disturb other campers

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2023, 16:01   #17
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Yep agree with this. While foglights may not point up they are bright lights at the front of the vehicle which will hinder an oncoming drivers view compared to running on dipped beam. Also the area they illuminate isn't where you would be looking during driving in normal (not foggy conditions) as you should be looking well up the road past where the fogs illuminate.
A decent bulb upgrade would help, or if they are particularly old they might just need changing. You could well notice a good difference doing that and as others have said check your lenses and headlight glass/plastic is in good clear condition as well as your reflectors and alignment
Maxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2023, 16:11   #18
Shuknami
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Yellow with halogen or led yellow bulb? How did you get them to work as a DRL? I assume that working as DRL they are white?
Shuknami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2023, 19:02   #19
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuknami View Post
Yellow with halogen or led yellow bulb? How did you get them to work as a DRL? I assume that working as DRL they are white?
If you're asking me Julio, white leds with a DRL switch, needed to turn on with ignition & off when headlights come on. Yellow fogs are a tint with Osram Fogbreaker bulbs.
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2023, 18:45   #20
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
Yep agree with this. While foglights may not point up they are bright lights at the front of the vehicle which will hinder an oncoming drivers view compared to running on dipped beam. Also the area they illuminate isn't where you would be looking during driving in normal (not foggy conditions) as you should be looking well up the road past where the fogs illuminate.
A decent bulb upgrade would help, or if they are particularly old they might just need changing. You could well notice a good difference doing that and as others have said check your lenses and headlight glass/plastic is in good clear condition as well as your reflectors and alignment

I use the so-called fog lights on unlit rural roads to pick out the verge, essential to see how close to get when passing oncoming traffic.
With respect to dazzle, ordinary LED headlights on more modern cars are far more of a problem and another reason why being able to see the nearside verge is so important.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote