Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10th September 2007, 08:54   #1
Kiwirover
Loves to post

1999 75 Con SE 2.5 Auto

Default TV in Motion

In my travels around the interweb I found the following interesting snippet:

To enable TV in motion

Info deleted as it is illegal to enable this function in the UK, the club will never condone the use of such information

Now your passengers can watch TV while you do the driving - and keep your eyes on the road!

To watch videotext use the same procedure as above, but chose "contrast" instead of "brightness".

To disable - repeat the procedure above

The procedure appears to “toggle” the inhibiter on or off – i.e. do it once and it’s off do it again and it’s on. Apparently this procedure also works the same on some BMW’s but they reverse the brightness and contrast options, and only up to MKII Nav versions. It certainly works on my 75 and seems completely non-invasive and reversible.

Obviously this information is provided for documentary purposes only. What the reader does with it is entirely up to them.

Enjoy

Last edited by GreyGhost; 10th September 2007 at 10:26..
Old 10th September 2007, 09:04   #2
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Here in the UK, such an action would put the driver of the vehicle in a position where he or she would be committing an offence rendering them liable to being charged and possibly appearing in Court and collecting a criminal record into the bargain.

For that reason, I'd not recommend the procedure.

Just wanted to make the risks perfectly clear.
Old 10th September 2007, 09:25   #3
Kiwirover
Loves to post

1999 75 Con SE 2.5 Auto

Good point Raistlin. Rules and regulations notwithstanding - on the grounds of safety alone I would not recommend it either.

However there are numerous administrations in this world that do have differing positions.
In one country I visited recently some cars actually had toilets, refrigerators, and microwaves fitted plus of course TV, phones etc. The whole family seemed to live in the car. Mind you they can spend many hours travelling at 5Kmph (if they are lucky) to and from work so I guess they use that as justification.
Sometimes I think we just don’t know how lucky we are.
Old 10th September 2007, 09:35   #4
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Whats the difference between having the Map from Sat Nav running or TV?
I have in Motion facility for mine and it is mainly used for DVD playback for grandchildren.
Yes I know the Law and it is not recommended for members to do this.

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 10th September 2007 at 09:38..
Old 10th September 2007, 09:43   #5
Kiwirover
Loves to post

1999 75 Con SE 2.5 Auto

The TV in Motion procedure does raise a bigger question mark though.

Apart from the already well documented tips and tricks, it makes one wonder as to what other hidden functions or options can be selected through the use of the “normal” car controls - and have yet to be discovered.
Old 10th September 2007, 09:57   #6
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Hmm.............moral dilemmas

But if this is illegal in the UK (which it is), where the club is based, why are we publishing material that facilitates such illegality?

We get a lot of member feedback and posts on here about law breaking of various types, together with appropriate and sometimes heavy condemnation. It seems strange (a tad hypocritical?) for the club to allow such info to remain - imho.

Mike
Old 10th September 2007, 10:13   #7
Kiwirover
Loves to post

1999 75 Con SE 2.5 Auto

If it is creating an issue Mike, moral or otherwise, I am more than happy to have it removed.
Old 10th September 2007, 10:24   #8
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

I think that although this information is already in the public domain it is inappropriate for it to be published on the club site, being, as it is said by our resident magistrate illegal for any car in the UK to run with this configuration.
I find myself agreeing with JDC though that the use of SAT Nav IMHO constitutes a very similar situation to that of having video running for passengers, and should be legislated against.

I will be deleting this info in a few minutes after the posters have had a chance to see this post. The relevant info will be gone now and the thread locked.

Thanks for pointing out that we have put ourselves in a hypocritical situation Mike.

Last edited by GreyGhost; 10th September 2007 at 10:35..
Old 10th September 2007, 10:29   #9
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwirover View Post
If it is creating an issue Mike, moral or otherwise, I am more than happy to have it removed.
Very sorry to see that you have been put in the position of having to make apologies Kiwi I can assure you that none are necessary.
Old 10th September 2007, 11:29   #10
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I am sorry if my comments have also caused any problem they are purely a Debating part re difference between TV and Sat Nav on same screen.
Also the Police now have TV monitors on (even when single crewed) and the law has not been altered to allow this, they are linked to their Cameras but are used for all sorts of other Info, whilst on the move, so this is either the same as watching TV or DVD playback?
There cannot be one rule for enforcement agencies and one for the Public IMHO and that is why you most probably don't get booked if you point this out which is what I did!
I am presently awaiting an official Explanation and Clarification from the Chief Constable which will be posted as soon as received.
You can of course have the TV running with sound only.
I won't even get into Head Up displays!
Closed Thread