Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th May 2017, 15:25   #101
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE + 1947 Morris 8

The penguins don't seem to mind if you get close to take a picture, but the other birds in the Falklands are not so accommodating. For years I tried to take a photograph of a Falklands Robin, but never managed to get a decent shot.

I did get a reasonable shot of the Magellanic Oystercatcher (below) which sort of made up for it.

I stumbled on a pair of Kelp Geese on Sunday afternoon while they were taking a nap. The female is the colourful one, while the male is all white.

Two female Upland Geese kept waddling away, but I managed to get this shot.

Our captain had been told that the Upland Geese were easy to catch, by one of the locals. He was told that if he lay on his back, and waved his arms and legs in the air, the geese would be curious and come over to see what was happening. He just had to wait till they were close enough, then grab one of them. He found a quiet spot on the way to Bertha's Beach, lay down and waved his arms and legs in the air as advised. A passing patrol stopped, and the patrol leader asked if he was OK? Caught off guard, he said, "Yes, I'm, er, just doing my exercises!" The patrol leader said, "Aye, OK mate.", and the patrol went on their way laughing their heads off.
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 16:10   #102
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Great story

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 11:39   #103
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE + 1947 Morris 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Great story
He was caught on a couple of occasions Paul. One weekend he had won a fishing rod and reel at a golf competition in Stanley. He went to one of the nearby pools to try it out, but on the first cast the lure got caught up in the tussock grass on the other side of the pool. As happens when you don't want anyone looking, a patrol appeared over the hillock. He decided to act as if everything was fine. The leader asked if he had caught anything, and he replied that he hadn't had a nibble. The patrol leader then said, "I'm not surprised, your lure is caught in the tussock grass, would you like me to get it out for you?", which he proceeded to do. Our captain had a very red face as the patrol walked away laughing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the Iran - Iraq war the Persian Gulf was not a safe place for tankers. War planes from both countries were targeting tankers that were thought to be heading for enemy ports.

In 1985 the Athenian Xenophon came into Dubai for repairs atter being hit by four missiles from an unidentified warplane. The ship had been heading for Kuwait, and neither side admitted the attack.

The accommodation block beneath the bridge was a favourite target for the warplanes.

The Polish First Mate was seriously injured during the attack and was lifted off by helicopter. Thankfully there was no loss of life.

The Athenian Xenophon was the 77th victim of the so called "tanker war", and was attacked just 185 miles north east of Dubai.
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote