Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th June 2017, 17:45   #1
Iain Walker

MG ZT

Default Intercooler o rings

Evening all.

I've had a dripping oily nastiness going on from the intercooler o ring bit (you can tell I'm a technical whizz...) and sorted some rings from DMGR (excellent service!) and fitted them today adding the extra ring mod. All well and good but the old girl is now rather asthmatic without the usual punch it ordinarily has (upsolute remap) and is leaving a black sooty trail when I push the revs up. Is this it just clearing its throat as it were, and will return to normal after a few runs? Not eager to rev and lacking power. Prior to doing the job it ran fine, just rather drippy and bit of smoke on occasion. Can't see that I've done anything wrong as it's a simple job. The old o rings were totally shot. All advice gratefully received.

Iain.
Iain Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 17:50   #2
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Best person to ask would probably be forum member Arctic. He's done a ton of these (actually did mine Saturday) So if anybody will know it'd probably be him.
Old 20th June 2017, 17:56   #3
Iain Walker

MG ZT

Thank you. No idea how I track him down tho cos not only am I a bit pants with Mg repairs, I'm also NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- with new fangled forum stuff. Any chance you could point me in right direction? Thanks again
Old 20th June 2017, 18:00   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

It may be the plastic elbow has not fully engaged into the intercooler socket. If the joint leaks, yiou get the symptoms noted.
Did you remove the front bumper to do the job or did you do it from above without taking the per off? Getting a good fit and a solid fastening can be difficult because all poorly designed.

There's aHowTo somewhere if that's of any help.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 18:02   #5
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Here you go
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=160031

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 20:33   #6
Iain Walker

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
Many thanks folks. That would make sense. Seems I've made matters worse! I did tackle it from above but took the hose off completely to ensure I'd got the elbow stuffed into place and was sure I had! The bolt lot hold it on went on a tear, all appeared lined up. I perhaps haven't got the hose on properly, or properly tightened up. I'll have a poke with it again tomorrow or Thursday eve. Fortunately the weather is good for tomo so I can give my bike (currently behaving itself) a thrash to work and back. I'll let you know and thanks again all!

Iain
Old 20th June 2017, 20:38   #7
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Get someone to rev the car up while you feel the intercooler hose, if it sucks itself inwards, you have an air leak somewhere.
Old 21st June 2017, 06:04   #8
Iain Walker

MG ZT

Morning. Thanks for that. However, at four this morning I realised in my haste to ensure the correct fitting at the bottom I had neglected to fasten the top jubilee clip up! (What a fool. In my defence my son demanded a potty with some urgency as I was doing the job so I was little distracted!) A quick trip into the garage at five had it tightened up and sorted, although a test run to the childminders shortly see for sure. Thanks everyone for your help. Greatly appreciated!
Old 28th June 2017, 19:25   #9
Iain Walker

MG ZT

Evening all.
Have given the old girl a jolly good testing and is now going lol ke a scalded cat. I think the o rings must have been leaking for some time and I wasn't aware of the gradual loss of power. Thank you all for your help! Now to sort out the various bangs, clunks and groans from the offside front... Drop link and strut top bearings waiting in readiness... Thanks again.