Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th June 2017, 17:34   #11
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I agree with Harry that the price of the 2003 caravan you looked it is excessive.
Old 28th June 2017, 17:40   #12
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-C...0AAOSwK6RZHtie Any of the ones with plastic arms on eBay will be ok, as long as they have the adjustable rubber straps, don't get the ones with the metal bar, as they will not have a secure hold on the mirror of the car.
Those are the ones I have and yes they did move about. I solved that by warming the plastic on the arms, between the strap fixings with an hot air gun and gently bending them to better curve around the mirrors. Once cooled, they will stay curved.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 28th June 2017 at 18:33..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 18:31   #13
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post

Just been re-reading it on the .gov site, and I can't actually see anywhere where it says that the trailer has to weigh less than the towing vehicle, but I was sure that was what I'd read previously? Does anyone know?
The dealer ought to have questioned you and given you advice..

Most advise that for an inexperienced person, they should not exceed 85% trailer weight, to 100% tow vehicle weight, simply for reasonable outfit stability. Tail wagging the dog (snaking whilst towing) is really, really scary.

Above weights are calculated as car minimum load, trailer fully loaded. You can improve stability by transferring heavier items to the car.

Remember - the basic accessories are NOT included as part of you caravans unladen weight. Your mover (100Kg), gas bottles (30Kg), water containers, hook up cable, are all part of the payload allowance, which also includes your bedding, chairs, food and clothes. The margins are not great and you will be surprised by what such things weigh.

Aside from the above, you need to worry about the practicality of your car's actual ability to tow a second vehicle close to its own weight and hill starts.

Nose weight, static weight on the tow ball is also critical. Use an accurate pair of bathroom scales to get this right, with the van level on level ground and a piece of timber between hitch scales, so it is the same height as the ball. All the weighty items need to be placed as low as possible and as close as possible, to the axle. Nothing in there like fluids, able to slop about.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 28th June 2017 at 18:51..
Old 28th June 2017, 21:57   #14
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Thanks, withe the current plan, the caravan could be towed with almost nothing in it, just the battery and gas bottle, and maybe the awning, depending how long it is when packed. She'll have the kids and clothes, bedding, dinghy, buckets/spades etc in her car. I'll tow the caravan and be alone in the car, so can load the boot and interior up with the water containers, pots/pans plates etc to keep the caravan as light as possible. It should then be around 1450kg to tow. Might take it to work sometime as we've got a weigh bridge there so I could check it and see.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 06:58   #15
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Thanks, withe the current plan, the caravan could be towed with almost nothing in it, just the battery and gas bottle, and maybe the awning, depending how long it is when packed. She'll have the kids and clothes, bedding, dinghy, buckets/spades etc in her car. I'll tow the caravan and be alone in the car, so can load the boot and interior up with the water containers, pots/pans plates etc to keep the caravan as light as possible. It should then be around 1450kg to tow. Might take it to work sometime as we've got a weigh bridge there so I could check it and see.
It will not make any difference to the legalities, it remains a matter of the cars minimum weight and the trailers maximum weight, though it certainly will be a safer towing experience.

Old 30th June 2017, 20:05   #16
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Not to mention the strain on the clutch.!
Old 30th June 2017, 21:09   #17
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Not to mention the strain on the clutch.!
Indeed, hence a trip to flat Norfolk, and her taking everything in her car.

TBH it's been bought mainly to shut her up, and I fully expect within a year or 2 for her to get a different car, Freelander type of thing, or caravan be sold. It'll cost me a bit but at least it'll have been done and she can move on to moaning about something else...
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2017, 08:04   #18
steveo
I really should get out more.......

None

Default Motorhome

Quote:
Indeed, hence a trip to flat Norfolk, and her taking everything in her car.

TBH it's been bought mainly to shut her up, and I fully expect within a year or 2 for her to get a different car, Freelander type of thing, or caravan be sold. It'll cost me a bit but at least it'll have been done and she can move on to moaning about something else...
Hi
They sell some very nice (and expensive) motorhomes at Oakwell in Barnsley
Regards
Steve
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2017, 08:36   #19
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Problem with motorhomes Steve, is you need to pack everything away if you want to go out somewhere, unless you have a small car to tow behind, and leave the mh on site. Some friends of mine do this, he has a 30ft motorhome,and tows a Suzuki Vitara behind on an A frame, so they can leave the van on site.
Old 1st July 2017, 08:52   #20
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Problem with motorhomes Steve, is you need to pack everything away if you want to go out somewhere, unless you have a small car to tow behind, and leave the mh on site. Some friends of mine do this, he has a 30ft motorhome,and tows a Suzuki Vitara behind on an A frame, so they can leave the van on site.
The other problem is you have a very expensive extra vehicle, which will spend most of its time just parked in your drive or stored somewhere and needs the usual maintenance of any other vehicle. My caravan gets 3 or 4 outings a year, but at least it is costing me not a lot, whilst stood there.

There is a web site I came across recently, which aims to put MH owners in touch with people who might wish to rent a MH for a while. I wouldn't fancy renting my caravan out, even less so renting out an expensive MH.