Old 14th March 2017, 18:01   #82
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE + 1947 Morris 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Wow

A lucky escape, from getting squished and getting caught
He was incredibly lucky Jeff. The jib bounced a couple of times, then snapped off and crushed the cab as it fell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Nice pics always nice to see lesser known parts of the world and the little stories that go with them.
Some of the stories would make your hair curl. Like the Kamikaze taxi drivers who drive at break-neck speed at night with no lights, (It makes them last longer) and take short-cuts the wrong way down one way streets! Or the night we were very late getting back from work due to grid-lock at one of the busiest junctions at peak traffic. The driver of an articulated lorry was half way round the roundabout when he stopped to buy cigarettes, then got involved in a conversation. It took ages to get the traffic moving again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
I just saw him run past our gate
He is probably still running Paul. His work permit, crane operator's license, and other documentation was with the personnel department when he ran away. I doubt if he could get work anywhere without his papers.
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 23:19   #83
Fifer
Gets stuck in

HMS Osiris greets the arrival of HMS Avenger.

East Cove, Falkland Islands.
Old 18th March 2017, 01:19   #84
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Passat is a German four-masted steel barque launched in 1911 at the Blohm & Voss shipyard, Hamburg.

In the centre of the picture is an effigy of "Fiete" - the last sailor of the Passat, and in the background the cruise ship Boudicca.

Fiete

Decommissioned in 1957 she is now a youth hostel, venue, museum ship, and landmark moored at Travemünde.

Travemünde, Germany.
Old 20th March 2017, 15:28   #85
Fifer
Gets stuck in

The church at Grytviken was gifted by the people of Sandefjord in Norway, and erected in 1913.

It is still in use by military and visiting RN and BAS ships.

The grave of Ernest Shackleton the explorer, in the cemetery at Gryviken. Tributes are left by visiting ships.

Grytviken, Islands of South Georgia.
Old 16th April 2017, 12:00   #86
Fifer
Gets stuck in

I've been a bit preoccupied lately, but here is a shot taken in Stanley Harbour.

It had been a nice Sunday afternoon, when the clouds suddenly rolled in and the sky darkened. I managed to grab this shot before the squall hit, and the wreck of the "Lady Elizabeth" in Whalebone Cove can just be seen in the background. The "Lady Elizabeth" was built in Sunderland and launched on 4 June 1879.

Stanley, Falkland Islands.
Old 16th April 2017, 13:52   #87
Fifer
Gets stuck in

In the mid 1970s, after towing the semi-sub "Sedneth 701" from the North Sea to just off Setubal, Portugal, we were running the anchors and setting the "piggy back" anchors. A helicopter was flying out to the rig with some Portuguese government dignitaries, including an admiral of the fleet, when a thick fog came down. The pilot was flying blind and the rig was giving the pilot the wrong directions. After too long in the air, and fuel getting low, he set down on the sea.

We were tasked with picking up a heli-tank and giving the helicopter fuel. The fog was lifting, and as we went to the helicopter a frigate and a corvette came racing out of the naval base in Setubal. We had to stand-off, as every time we went in the direction of the helicopter the frigate would cut across our bows with the forward 4" gun pointing at us. I've worked on 4.5" guns, but when looking down the wrong end of a 4" gun it looks massive! Eventually the warships were convinced that we were friendly, and after a boat load of marine commandos checked us out we were allowed to proceed.

The odd blue cast is due to the combination of light, and fog which was lifting.

The helicopter was secured on the stern roller in readiness for the fuel transfer.

The helicopter pilot was embarrassed and somewhat shocked. He said that if he hadn't put down in the water when he did, he would have flown right into the cliff face!

The officials refused to go back in the helicopter, so we took them to the rig, and they went up in the basket. Quite an adventure for them, and us, but one that almost went horribly wrong!
Old 18th April 2017, 08:49   #88
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Good morning Jim, how come the helicopter didn't sink? A stressful time for all. Thank goodness you were there to help. My brother-in-law flew helicopters in the gulf war for the British army. He said how the GI's often poked fun at the pilots, because the British army choppers were so poorly equipped compared to what the yanks had. One wonders if things have improved since.
Gate Keeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 10:32   #89
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Good morning Jim, how come the helicopter didn't sink? A stressful time for all. Thank goodness you were there to help. My brother-in-law flew helicopters in the gulf war for the British army. He said how the GI's often poked fun at the pilots, because the British army choppers were so poorly equipped compared to what the yanks had. One wonders if things have improved since.
Hi Philip,

The helicopter had floatation pontoons fitted to where the skids would normally be. In the last picture, the pilot is actually standing on one of the pontoons. Many short-hop helicopters servicing the offshore industry have pontoons fitted, to enable them to set down on the sea in an emergency.

It was indeed quite stressful, as we had not been expecting to be blocked by a couple of warships. They were protecting their own Admiral etc, so it was understandable. They did come out of Setubal very fast indeed. We were being directed by the rig on civilian channels, but the warships were on their military channels. Thank goodness the two did eventually get talking to each other.

On speaking to guys in our military, they have said that the Americans do tend to spend more money on their equipment than our government does. Ours are built for a purpose, but theirs have all the bells and whistles!

When I was working on Dreadnought, our first nuclear submarine, an American nuclear sub came in for minor repairs. When I went on board I was surprised to see a Coca Cola machine, and an ice cream machine! Talk about luxury!

It reminded me of a story from the Second World War, when an American battleship and a British one crossed paths in the Atlantic. The American Captain signalled, "How is the world's second biggest navy?" The British Captain signalled back, "Fine thank you, how is the world's second best?"

Last edited by Fifer; 18th April 2017 at 10:34..
Old 18th April 2017, 19:37   #90
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Well Jim, my Grandfather was an American and I have an uncle who still lives in the U.S, so I am entitled to have a laugh at my Yankee side. I rather like your last paragraph, it did put a smile on my face tonight You must have a treasure trove of experiences, good and bad. Maybe some you could not possibly ever share on the Internet. Your maritime photos all tell their own story. Thank you for posting them up.
Gate Keeper is online now   Reply With Quote