Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Overseas Club Members Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th February 2017, 04:14   #1
barry
Regular poster

mg zt 180 sport

Default cambelt change Auckland NZ

Had my ZT180 Sport cambelt replaced last week, plus a coolant change. All carried out by MG Rover NZ in Avondale, Auckland - www.mgrovernz.co.nz. They provided an excellent service - courtesy car, reliable bookings etc. Can't see where they've been. All shipshape.
I provided the parts (assembled over several years, such as fluids, waterpump, tensioner, belts and idler) although they would not have had any problem providing these.
The car was first registered in late 2004 but built late 2002. Has covered 68k kms, around 20% City, remainder longish trips. The old belts, tensioner and water pump looked like new when removed. Improved peace of mind though.
Car since new apart from tyres, filters, fluids, batteries has blown one stop light bulb and required the dreaded orange clip on the fuel pump.
I have one of Kaisers thermostat housing replacement but have not needed to use it.The good maintenance record may be helped by the fact that our speed limit on the open road is 100kph plus a bit.
Looking forward to the next twelve years, after which I will probably not require it.
Cheers all
Barry
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 07:24   #2
savi18
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur, Range Rover Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
Had my ZT180 Sport cambelt replaced last week, plus a coolant change. All carried out by MG Rover NZ in Avondale, Auckland - www.mgrovernz.co.nz. They provided an excellent service - courtesy car, reliable bookings etc. Can't see where they've been. All shipshape.
I provided the parts (assembled over several years, such as fluids, waterpump, tensioner, belts and idler) although they would not have had any problem providing these.
The car was first registered in late 2004 but built late 2002. Has covered 68k kms, around 20% City, remainder longish trips. The old belts, tensioner and water pump looked like new when removed. Improved peace of mind though.
Car since new apart from tyres, filters, fluids, batteries has blown one stop light bulb and required the dreaded orange clip on the fuel pump.
I have one of Kaisers thermostat housing replacement but have not needed to use it.The good maintenance record may be helped by the fact that our speed limit on the open road is 100kph plus a bit.
Looking forward to the next twelve years, after which I will probably not require it.
Cheers all
Barry
Hi Barry, not be on the overseas page for a while now, just read you had you cambelts done, done my own when i first bought mine in 2011 ex rover dealers wanted $2200, got parts from UK, have done 2 more 75s which i bought and sold on, also did thermostat housing and other bits and pieces, nothing is easy on these Rovers, Cheers
savi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 23:03   #3
barry
Regular poster

mg zt 180 sport

Hi.
The cost at MG Rover NZ for the cambelt and coolant change was $700 with parts supplied by myself so a complete job with parts maybe in the vicinity of $1200.
I was quite content all round the way it panned out. The thought of doing it myself with its attendant fishhooks was rejected. Maybe if I had the opportunity to watch someone experienced doing it first, may have been different' but maybe those days are in the past.
Need to pick the right operators though.
Regards
Old 8th February 2017, 08:21   #4
Matt NZ

MG ZT 180

Very much in the same boat - I got all the parts in to do it myself but ended up giving it to MG Rover NZ. Very happy with the price and the work done.
I have a Kaiser thermostat housing waiting to go on after the last plastic one only lasted about 18 months. I'll do that one myself.
I would recommend MG Rover NZ to anyone. The only thing that may tempt me away is I heard Walbrans (just around the corner in New Lynn) has a T4. If that is true it may be useful - certainly if any T4 work needed they are bound to be cheaper than Archibald and Shorter / Roverland.
Matt NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 07:06   #5
Rovering
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 Connoissuer, #2 of 16 exported for NZ market.

I would and will take my cars to Walbrans long before MG Rover in Avondale. I have had two dealings with them, and neither left a feeling of trust or that they follow thru.
So for me it is:
1: Walbrans MG in Avondale. T4 capability.
2: Michies Automotive in Takapuna (they did the belts etc for my BRG Tourer).
3: Roverland on Wairau Rd.

As a side note, I will be purchasing a Virtual T4 from Phil T4, hopefully in May or June. Would have been sooner, but Family Trust tax payments were a shock this year!
So NZ people keep me in mind. I travel readily around the North Island, South can be arranged!
Graeme
2004 BMW 530d

2002 MG ZT 190 manual Anthracite (NZ new) built 18-07-2002
Rovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 03:37   #6
savi18
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur, Range Rover Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovering View Post
I would and will take my cars to Walbrans long before MG Rover in Avondale. I have had two dealings with them, and neither left a feeling of trust or that they follow thru.
So for me it is:

As a side note, I will be purchasing a Virtual T4 from Phil T4, hopefully in May or June. Would have been sooner, but Family Trust tax payments were a shock this year!
So NZ people keep me in mind. I travel readily around the North Island, South can be arranged!
Graeme
Sounds good to me Graeme getting a T4, i live in Mosgiel near Dunedin so would be good a T4 session if ever down this way, Cheers Derek
savi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 09:15   #7
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savi18 View Post
Sounds good to me Graeme getting a T4, i live in Mosgiel near Dunedin so would be good a T4 session if ever down this way, Cheers Derek
That's a long run, perhaps a "tour"?

Barry, that's labour at £350, and if you're happy with their work, that's a good thing.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 20:48   #8
Davpil
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon, MGZT

Default Rovering in NZ

Hi down there in NZ. I'm planning to retire from the UK to Waitomo (where my son farms) next year and I want to take my ZT with me. Any hints and tips about getting an older car into NZ, tests, approvals etc ?

Thanks, David P.
Davpil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 00:03   #9
barry
Regular poster

mg zt 180 sport

Hello David. A good central position Waitomo - in the Waikato dairying district. Easy reach of Hamilton and Auckland for the ZT. Don't try entering Auckland between 2.30 and 6.00pm though. The usual modern problem of traffic congestion.
Unable to give you any direct help with importing your car except to say that it can be done with the usual inspections and paperwork especially if the car is original and not been badly damaged or altered. It needs to be VIN inspected by an authourised operator. Numerous importations of American classics and Hot Rods take place successfully. You should be able to access NZ Customs' website or NZ Tranport Agency www.nzta.govt.nz, they may be of help.
Regards
Barry
Old 2nd August 2017, 20:42   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovering View Post
So for me it is:

Graeme
Did you get that T4 ???------------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote