Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th January 2014, 04:29   #1
jimn
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Default Harmony replacement advice please

Ignore this bit, I've now bought a Sony WX-GT90BT double-din and am in the process of trying to fit it, see further down for details

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I currently have to use one of those cassette adapters to play music from my phone in the car so I'm looking at replacing the Harmony with something a bit more modern. My requirements are:
  • Plays CDs
  • USB
  • Phono-in
  • BlueTooth
    • For streaming music from phone
    • Also for making hands-free calls
    • External microphone

These are the two units have caught my eye and seem a good price, both at £99.99 from Argos.

Sony MEXBT4100U Bluetooth Car Stereo with USB and AUX Input

Pioneer DEH-X5600BT

The major difference seems to be that the Panasonic offers "200 watts RMS" compared to the Sony's "52 watts RMS", but I have absolutely no what this means in real world terms. I won't be replacing the speakers, and it looks like the current harmony has "7 watts per channel" and sounds fine to me.

I think I'd prefer the Sony, but I couldn't really say why.

Could anybody offer any advice on these are any similar models for s similar price?

I've looked at the existing posts about replacing a stereo with a single din, so I'm aware I need a single din fascia, adapter to make a new unit work with the steering wheel controls and an adapter for the aerial lead. There seems to be a plethora of fascias on eBay & Amazon so if anybody has any advice on one that fits well and looks nice (I'd want one with a cubby hole) that would also be appreciated.

Anything else I've missed or not though of?

Edit: I should also point out that I use an Android phone, a lot of the stereos seem very Apple-centric

Edit: I'm not married to single din, so double would be acceptable this Sony double din is available from Halfords for £129.99, or a Pioneer

Cheers
Replace broken window switches, fit warning triangle, remove mobile phone aerial & wiring, replace boot cover (now includes 'dog' net), new clutch (122,740 miles), Jules' plenum guard, replace Harmony, new Bosch MAF (129,597 miles)

To Do
Fog lights (bought, to be fitted), aux power (bought, to be fitted)

Last edited by jimn; 27th January 2014 at 19:31..
jimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 05:28   #2
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Hi.
If the choice is between those two then I would definitely go with the Pioneer. I, as well as others have found the Sony lacking in depth of sound.
I actually fitted the Pioneer DEH9500BT, a bit more expensive but has more connection options, and looks more refined fascia wise.
As far as single din fascias go I think the one that has the central opening that is recessed with the tray above it is best. But that is personal preference I suppose.
And as you say you will need the adapter lead with the patch lead for the make of player. I got mine from Dynamic Sounds. Online.
Good luck....
Old 27th January 2014, 05:32   #3
jimn
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Cheers MM,

I was probably editing whilst you were replying, I've been looking at the Dynamic Sounds site and I'm now getting tempted by double din systems such as a pioneer FH-X700BT.
Replace broken window switches, fit warning triangle, remove mobile phone aerial & wiring, replace boot cover (now includes 'dog' net), new clutch (122,740 miles), Jules' plenum guard, replace Harmony, new Bosch MAF (129,597 miles)

To Do
Old 27th January 2014, 05:53   #4
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

Don't forget if you fit the double din Pioneer you'll have to fabricate some brackets as it won't sit in the aperture without some work
GeraintUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 06:02   #5
jimn
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraintUK View Post
Don't forget if you fit the double din Pioneer you'll have to fabricate some brackets as it won't sit in the aperture without some work
Yes, I was naively assuming it would fit straight in but I've just found some posts detailing this issue; here & here. I'd rather not have to faff around jerry rigging something so I may go back to single din.

To Do
Old 27th January 2014, 06:23   #6
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Yes, I too thought of fitting a double din but because of the work involved, other than the one supplied by radioguy which was out of my price range, I decided against it in favour of the single din option.
Old 27th January 2014, 14:01   #7
jimn
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

I've been and bought the Sony WX-GT90BT double din, and ordered all the extra bits that I think I should need so I'll update this thread with the fun & games when I try and fit it.

As I said at the top, I don't really know anything about car stereos, I just had a list of requirements and this one fits. This bloke seems to like it. One of the bits I liked about the Sony was it looked nice & subtle and would fit into the ethos of a Rover 75, there's texture on the main button that matches the texture of the dashboard. There's also an Android (& Apple) "App Remote" app that looks interesting.

I did look at a few videos of the Pioneer and that looks like it should belong in a hot-hatch (apologies to anybody who has one installed), with the disco lights all over the place.

Cheers

To Do
Old 27th January 2014, 15:14   #8
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Yes, I agree about the Disco-Lights, (Mixtrax) on the Pioneer you mention but it is an option to have on or off... But other than that it is quite sophisticated in looks, well the 9500 anyway.

Nothing wrong with the looks of the Sony, it's just that it lacks in the sound department resulting in a very 'thin' sound. And I haven't been the only one... http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...hlight=Pioneer

Please let us know how you get on...
Old 27th January 2014, 19:37   #9
jimn
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Things are never straight-forward; when I bought the car it had an old mobile phone kit in it. I removed as much as I could get to, but now I've taken the Harmony out I've found some more of it

There's one bundle of wires disappearing towards the glovebox.

If anybody has a need for a Autoleads Telemute Module V3 I've got one going spare.

To Do
Old 29th January 2014, 18:38   #10
jimn
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

A bit of a teaser, but I have all the necessary bits and have powered up the unit; the sound is astounding! I just need to get the mic sorted (see other thread) and then I can fix it all in. It should look the dog's whatsits.

To Do