Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd April 2011, 08:51   #1
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Mk1, Rover 75 Mk2, MGZT-260 Rover 75 CDTI Touring

Default 5.0 V8 Supercharged

Hi Guys, I am new to the forum, I live in Southampton and have been looking around the board for various bits of info to help me with my project. OK, here we go, I have a 2001 75 connoisseur 2.5v6, I also have a 1990 Mustang 5.0 Gt engine fitted with a vortech supercharger and manual box. I want to remove the V6 and shoehorn the V8 in its place. I know that the tunnel has to be modded but what else, there is a V8 heater box on ebay, so I presume that is different. Will a BMW M3 rear cradle fit or will I need to source a Rover/MG V8 unit. Any info or pics that you jolly clever chaps could help me with would be greatly appreciated.
75.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 09:03   #2
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75.0 View Post
Hi Guys, I am new to the forum, I live in Southampton and have been looking around the board for various bits of info to help me with my project. OK, here we go, I have a 2001 75 connoisseur 2.5v6, I also have a 1990 Mustang 5.0 Gt engine fitted with a vortech supercharger and manual box. I want to remove the V6 and shoehorn the V8 in its place. I know that the tunnel has to be modded but what else, there is a V8 heater box on ebay, so I presume that is different. Will a BMW M3 rear cradle fit or will I need to source a Rover/MG V8 unit. Any info or pics that you jolly clever chaps could help me with would be greatly appreciated.
I am a long way from being an expert but as one is FWD and the other is RWD I would imaging that is going to be very difficult. Much cheaper to just buy a V8

Steve

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 09:11   #3
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Have to agree, that's a little bit more than a project !
I remember reading on here the other day about a brand new V8 bodyshell being available, wouldn't that be a better idea ?
Failing that though, as said above, by far the cheapest option would be to buy a 260 & work with that.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 09:43   #4
matt1301
Avid contributor

75 Cdti Auto

A salvage 260 to nick the RWD bits from would be useful..

But, anything is possible. There was an SD1 with a merlin engine in it on 5th gear last night!!

Other than the transmission tunnel, I think the 260 only has half a spare wheel well to make room for the diff

Sounds like an epic project!!!!
Old 2nd April 2011, 11:11   #5
Mannie
Avid contributor

MGZT-T 260 Supercharged

Quote:
Is it the 2v unit if not I think you have to do with out heater etc because the bulkhead has to be removed.......yep cheaper to flog the engine and buy a 260 then S/C it.
Old 2nd April 2011, 11:33   #6
andy willi
I really should get out more.......

PRE LAUNCH 75/ZT 190/XJ 550

pm tonybubble he might sell you the v8 bodyshell he ownes and as an added benifit its preped to take a bigger engine as it was going to be used as a dtm toring car and has had all the mods done to it

andy
andy willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 12:09   #7
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Bit of a project to take on.

Front bulhead, transmission tunnel, front and rear subframe and mountings, front impact beams are all different from the V6. Heater box won't work unless you you can get hold of all the heater valves and heater ecu.

Front hubs are different, steering rack is different although basically an LHD mounted the other way around. Rear axle and brake setup are different, ABS modulater is different, clutch system and master cylinder are different.

Engine bay needs to be modified, only a Ford 2V engine will fit.

The list continues, better find a V8 for sale and it might be a lot cheaper in the end.
VMax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 10:36   #8
Avid contributor

Thanks chaps, thanks for all your replies. Yes it is the early 2v (5.0 not 4.6) engine, and thankyou very much vmax for your list, this gives me something to go on. I am from a motor engineering background so the task isn't too daunting and one way or another I will fit it. I do not really want to buy a v8 or a 260, thats just cheating!! The V6 rear cradle is suspiciously BMW looking this is the reason I was wondering if the M3 rear assembly would fit, if not I do have a complete Hydratrack rear cradle that was used in one of the ill fated Jensen SV8 cars, maybe that could be modded. Thanks for the heads up Andy willi, I'll drop tonybubble a pm
Old 4th April 2011, 13:41   #9
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

It is all doable just tin work at the end of the day and if Prodrive were able to knock up a few prototypes then I think a budding DIYer could do the same.

A big advantage is there are plenty of production cars to look at to see how it can be done.

If you are serious then I would start by getting hold of a V8 front subframe fit it in the V6 it might even use the existing hole and then you can start measuring etc.

The 5.0 engine might not need as much room as the modular lump you may even manage to obtain a decent geachange and clutch
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 20:50   #10
Avid contributor

Hi Guys, I bet you're all wondering what happened to the strange chap with the daft idea of stuffing a rear wheel drive supercharged mustang lump into a front wheel drive Rover 75? well, he took on board all of your comments and has given up on that idea (for now) but there is a new thread just about to start in the V8 forum that should interest you all. Thanks for your comments and help in this thread.
Regards, John