Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 20th October 2009, 09:25   #1
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Default 75 Bin £800

Almost shamefull

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-75-CLUB-...item1c0d4c878e
Old 20th October 2009, 10:18   #2
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

The way people describe cars in some of these adverts is beyond belief. It's like reading an ad for 90p can opener:

Opens tin, don't bid unless your right handed only, can contact me 3rd Thursday of the month, no blondes bidding can be difficult to operate - happy bidding !

Last edited by Parker; 20th October 2009 at 10:21..
Old 20th October 2009, 13:34   #3
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

The manual petrol engined 75 does sell for silly money, but.. Would I -- could I? recommend one to a friend? -- Hmmm to be honest, no!.. They need far too much attention, even then they can be very unreliable, and very expensive to maintain and repair if you don't DIY. So, maybe they are simply not worth much.

The 75s are nothing like as reliable as the Asian cars, and reliability is paramount for 99% of the working population..

Last edited by James.uk; 20th October 2009 at 13:38..
Old 20th October 2009, 14:00   #4
thomas 75 connie
This is my second home

Rover 75 launch car x2, Rover 800 Vitesse

Thanked 1,083 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
The manual petrol engined 75 does sell for silly money, but.. Would I -- could I? recommend one to a friend? -- Hmmm to be honest, no!.. They need far too much attention, even then they can be very unreliable, and very expensive to maintain and repair if you don't DIY. So, maybe they are simply not worth much.

The 75s are nothing like as reliable as the Asian cars, and reliability is paramount for 99% of the working population..
Maybe i didnt get it but is that a joke as a family we have had many foriegn cars ie jap,german french etc and the rover has by far been the best car we have ever owned
Old 20th October 2009, 14:28   #5
James.uk
Passed Away

No I was being perfectly serious! I don't doubt that there are some good 75's around, hopefully mine is one of them. *fingers crossed* ..

But since I bought it (March 2009) I have already had to spend about a £1,000 on it = "O" rings, fans, PCV, MAF, filters, plenham cleaned, disk sensors, brake pads, brake pipes, etc etc.. And it still needs 2 new rear disks and springs!! (recent MOT advisory). .Oh and a Synergy2 that it deff needed.

I bought my prev car off ebay for £600. a 2.0ESi Honda Accord auto and that cost nothing further during the 4 years I owned it. Similar story for my other car the ZX listed below..

My bro did much the same thing, he had a Honda engined Rover 623 GTi auto that was no trouble, then bought a 75 late last year, but his 75 (V6 2.5 auto) is now on its fifth breakdown!!! .. Not good huh...

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the Mk1 75, and I love the way it drives even more, but I have to be honest, and i would not, coukl not, reccomend one to a friend..

Last edited by James.uk; 20th October 2009 at 14:37..
Old 20th October 2009, 15:51   #6
75ContempSE
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE Auto

To be honest though, your car like mine is a 2002 , so its fast approaching 8 years old, there are not many cars out there that get to 8 years old that dont need some money spending on them. Brake discs, pads, line are all wear and tear items and need changing on all cars.!!

I'm now on my third V6 75 and not one of them has had to have any where near a large sum of money spent on them, they have all been a pleasure to own infact apart from a new clutch on my first V6, i have never spent money on one apart from mods or service items!!, the car talked about in this thread is coming up to 10 years old and does has 127000 miles on the clock, that will set its price, but dont forget in a few months this car will rise in value as it will be eligable to be scrapped under the government scheme

Andrew
Old 20th October 2009, 16:40   #7
v192mak
Banned

Saloon V6 Connie SE & MG Rover T4

I myself would recommend the petrol over the diesel any day of the week.

The 1.8 is a sound engine but has one weakness and thats the head gasket. If its changed and done right it will be fine. If its done wrong it will go again.

The 2.0 and 2.5 V6 again have one issue and thats the iffy stat and the VIS motors.

The diesel has afew more issues that go wrong and can cost alot more then the petrol's problem to fix. Thats why I wont touch a 75 diesel ever.

Ofcourse the petrol and diesel are heavy on tyres and breaks and the other known issue with all cars is the springs.

But apart from that you get a smashing car for very little money at the min. The diesel is worth more because of the percived relibility and the BMW connection. Same as all L series diesel Rovers seem to be worth more then petrol equivilants.
Old 20th October 2009, 18:15   #8
James.uk
Passed Away

>>To be honest though, your car like mine is a 2002 , so its fast approaching 8 years old, there are not many cars out there that get to 8 years old that dont need some money spending on them.<<<

Erm, I hate to mention this, but my Honda was a 1996 model, so 12 nearly 13 years old when I sold it, and my ZX is 1994 so now 15 years old, and still totaly reliable. .

.It's not age related, most of the 75 probs are design faults..

On the Honda Accord site, most stuff is about cleaning and doing mods, very little relates to mech problems, and on the GFS site the ZX never gets mentioned at all!

As stated, the 75 is a lovely car to drive, but I'm very glad we have recovery Companies around.. heh. heh..
Old 20th October 2009, 19:00   #9
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

I completely agree. 75's are stupidly expensive to maintain.

I had to buy a walnut wheel, walnut handbrake, walnut gearknob, Heated washers, Highline IPK, Traffic master system, parking sensors, drivers cup holder, Boot Triangle, Cuppby box power, Cubby box torch, Bluetooth kit, rear electric blind and Heated electric leather memory seats.. Now they are mandatory..

I think I did a MOT but I just turned up and the bloke returned teh car an hour later with a bit of paper.. Dunno what that was about but it was quite painless.

At the end of the day buying a second hand car you have no idea how much has been spent on a car prior to owning it. Your Hondas may have already had all the items that you have replaced done so it's not exactly a fair comparison. I had a Honda Accord Aerodeck Auto and I had to spend more money on that than my Rover.At least the Rover brake pads fitted perfectly on the Honda and saved a few pounds.

Apart from teh Cambelt issue I think thats a cracking car for £800

Looking for: 7 seater
Old 20th October 2009, 19:35   #10
starbug2
This is my second home

Silver Rover 75 Tourer Club SE CDTI + MGF 1.8 in BRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenWilliams View Post
I completely agree. 75's are stupidly expensive to maintain.
couldn't some one of told me that before i got one

now with 2020 MG ZS 1Lt TURBO engine with automatic 6 speed gearbox to help keep the 75 and MG F going as long as possible
Closed Thread