Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd May 2009, 14:17   #1
nuts75
Gets stuck in

Mgzt

Default jaguar S type ..swap

hi been offererd a straight swap for a jaguar S type 3.0. in smoke silver .for my 1.8 classic se.in old english white .now i have allways liked the jaguar s type . but i think our 75s are a better build better looking .i looked inside the jag ,its on a t plate with 126000. and its not a patch on our 75s. theres a different kind of quality in our rovers than ,jaguar ,i think. would be interested if any othere users thoughts ?
Old 23rd May 2009, 14:37   #2
JP53
I really should get out more.......

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE saloon. 'Eliza'

I really like the S type, but I would not want the 3 litre, it would be a bit to expensive for me to run.

I think the ride on the non sport version is very good, build quality seems good too. The later models have a very nice interior with a wide screen sat nav etc.

In my humble opinion they are as good as a 75, maybe even a tad better BUT they were £1000's more expensive to buy! You can get a much much better condition 75 for your money should you ever be looking to buy. If however there were two identical mileage/condition/colour combination cars at the same price one being a Rover 75 connoisseur SE CDTi, the other being a Jaguar X type diesel SE, both 06 plater, I would buy the Jag.

"Eliza ... Where the devil are my slippers?"
JP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 14:46   #3
Rover418275
Banned

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Swap = Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts75 View Post
hi been offererd a straight swap for a jaguar S type 3.0. in smoke silver .for my 1.8 classic se.in old english white .now i have allways liked the jaguar s type . but i think our 75s are a better build better looking .i looked inside the jag ,its on a t plate with 126000. and its not a patch on our 75s. theres a different kind of quality in our rovers than ,jaguar ,i think. would be interested if any othere users thoughts ?

During WW2 the American General at Bastogne (The Battle of The Bulge)was asked by the Germans to surrender, he replied , "NUTS", of course he meant NO.

If any one asked me to swap my 75 for a Jag, I would use the word used by the American General, "NUTS".
Rover418275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 14:54   #4
slickster
Gets stuck in

With the lack of availability of the R75/ZT 4.6 V8s I did have a quick check around for Jag 4.0 V8s and they seems reasonable at £4-5k for a post 2000 S-type. Not made the step to going to see one, but am still tempted! (So I'd be glad to hear of any comments on the S-type, and the V8s!)

Previously owned 75/ZTs:
Rover 75 4.6 V8 Conni SE Auto // MG ZT-T 260 4.6 V8 // R75 Conn SE 2.5 V6 Auto Vanden Plas (LWB)
01 '51' Rover 75 2.0 Diesel Conni Auto Tourer // 99 'T' Rover 75 2.5 Conni Auto

slickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 16:50   #5
nuts75
Gets stuck in

Mgzt

hi again,slickster .do you mean that there arent enough parts for the 75 .lack of availability?. this has me worried....i am tempted i will be honest.but i do think our 75s are a better looking car inside and out .ive got to give the gent an answer tomorrow . ive done a trip to barmouth in my car and she never missed a beat,. .i think i might tell him NUTS
Old 23rd May 2009, 16:56   #6
JP53
I really should get out more.......

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE saloon. 'Eliza'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts75 View Post
hi again,slickster .do you mean that there arent enough parts for the 75 .lack of availability?. this has me worried....i am tempted i will be honest.but i do think our 75s are a better looking car inside and out .ive got to give the gent an answer tomorrow . ive done a trip to barmouth in my car and she never missed a beat,. .i think i might tell him NUTS
I think he means lack of V8's for sale

What milage as your 75 done?

"Eliza ... Where the devil are my slippers?"
JP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 17:00   #7
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

3.0 V8..too expensive to run.they were both launched at the same time and the 75 was called the poor mans jag,prefer the look of the 75 to be honest..
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 17:22   #8
beejay
Retired

Rover 75, 04 Connie SE Auto. 2.5

Default Jaguar S Type

Having driven my brother's X Reg S type, I prefer my 75, more comfortable and less expensive to maintain. He had some work carried out last year prior to MOT and came out £2400 lighter in pocket!!!!.

I have same as yours Nuts and I'd keep it that way

Did you sort out your fog lights?

Barry
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 17:33   #9
Michal
Regular poster

Jaguar S-Type R

2.5V6 and 3.0 V6 have just a bit better economy than 4.0 V8 and lots of owners advise that if you go the petrol route it should only be a V8 route
I wouldn't touch a pre facelift S-Type as the quality and reliability was patchy... They were facelifted in 2004 adn I wouldn't mind swaping 04reg Rover for 04reg S-type, but would be careful with older ones.
Michal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 17:34   #10
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

If going for an s type it has to be the model 2000.5 onwards with electronic park brake, the models before that had the horrible chrysler box that had massive problems, also the rear suspension on those models was different and was absolutely terrible (jag never wanted to fit it was forced to by ford) other things to look out for on all model years are worn suspension bushes (common on all bushes) front tyres will be worn out within 10-15000 miles (wear on inner edge set up for high speed stabilty) a wheel alignment to jag spec wont cure that, on petrols the ignition coils are a common failure,and on the later zf 6 speed gearbox the oil cooler can become contaminated with coolant and can contaminate the gearbox leading to new gearbox, they can also jerk forward with the later box leading to a software update and if really bad can neeed again a new box, other common things are water ingress into boot area and electronic park brake wiring faults above rear axle (warning on dash epb failure) sometimes this can also be the motor faulty, engine are generally good although can suffer timing chain problems, another thing to look out for on petrols is the engine hunting and this is another common fault which is the rear engine breather split, having worked for jag the s type is a good car but you gotta find a good one.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote