Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd November 2018, 11:53   #1
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts
Angry Flickr!

Looks like another picture hosting site is going "paid" after being bought out.

They've been bought. In January 2019 if you have more then 1,000 pictures there you need to pay, or get locked out of uploading. In February 2019 if you don't join with a paid account they will delete all but your most recent 1,000 pics.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto

Last edited by Lancpudn; 3rd November 2018 at 12:04..
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 12:42   #2
Roverlike
Avid contributor

Rover, few of them

That is the reason I did not want to open account on any other "free" hosting site after photobucket fiasko, as I suspected same will happen to them as well, sooner or later...
Roverlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 12:55   #3
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

A real shame - I quite like Flickr. I was thinking that 1000 photos is plenty, but on checking my account I already have 528 photos and I only joined Flickr when Photobucket went rogue.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 13:31   #4
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
A real shame - I quite like Flickr. I was thinking that 1000 photos is plenty, but on checking my account I already have 528 photos and I only joined Flickr when Photobucket went rogue.

Cliff
Hello Cliff It’s surprising how the numbers clock up. Early August I had a problem with the laptop, charging point was burnt, the hard drive was faulty and the battery was dead. It had over 50,000 photos accumulated from 10 years use. That is how old the laptop is. Fortunately, all the photos are backed up into the cloud. For Flickr Pro I pay an annual sub. It’s all about money, making it through a sub or through advertising. What happened to photo bucket was a disaster for customers and the company and reading the reviews at the time, the owner for photo bucket didn’t give a monkeys.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 14:52   #5
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Hi Phil

You're spot on with regards how the numbers clock up. If you'd asked me before I'd checked, I'd have estimated around 40 or 50 photos, not 500+!

A year or so back, I invested in a 4 TB NAS solution that has 2 x 4 TB discs working in a mirrored array. I keep all my photos on a separate drive on my pc, with a backup set on the NAS, as well as an additional backup on a portable drive, so they should be reasonably safe. However, the likes of Flickr etc are invaluable when it comes to posting photos on forums and the like. I guess I will just have to be a little more picky about which photos I upload in future.

Sorry to hear of your laptop failure - it must have been a nightmare at the time. Just shows how important it is to have some sort of backup strategy .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 15:48   #6
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

If theres a 1000 photo limit then you could just create more email addresses to male more accounts. For example i have a private account and a second one for my work photos. If they're not asking for stupid money like photobucket then i guess some wouldnt mind paying.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2018, 18:36   #7
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

I saw this the other day and I did swear..
I don't really know what the benefit is of having a pro account over what I already had up until
this new direction change.
Old 3rd November 2018, 20:21   #8
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Try signing in if you have a BT email address

The log on directs you to the BT sign in page.This fault has been there for at least 6 months and they claim BT are working on a solution.I haven't needed to host anything for a while but I can't see the situation being resolved.Time to move on.
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2018, 02:14   #9
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Hi Phil

You're spot on with regards how the numbers clock up. If you'd asked me before I'd checked, I'd have estimated around 40 or 50 photos, not 500+!

A year or so back, I invested in a 4 TB NAS solution that has 2 x 4 TB discs working in a mirrored array. I keep all my photos on a separate drive on my pc, with a backup set on the NAS, as well as an additional backup on a portable drive, so they should be reasonably safe. However, the likes of Flickr etc are invaluable when it comes to posting photos on forums and the like. I guess I will just have to be a little more picky about which photos I upload in future.

Sorry to hear of your laptop failure - it must have been a nightmare at the time. Just shows how important it is to have some sort of backup strategy .

Cliff
Cheers Cliff, how long does it take to scan the discs that size for viruses etc?
My laptop is fully repaired and I had the hard drive replaced with an SSD making it fast and quiet.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2018, 03:01   #10
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Flickr used to have limits with only 3 groups being allowed and limited photos uploaded unless you had a pro account. I had a pro account for a few years and stopped when they changed to free hosting with no limits a few years ago, looks like they are going back to how they used to be.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote