Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th April 2017, 18:41   #1
-Joe
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Classic SE 1.8T

Default ABS ECU swap out

Q.1 Will any Rover 75 petrol / diesel ebay 2nd hand Rover 75 ECU ABS fit a diesel without traction control?

Q.2 Can you just swap the plastic front bit with the elctronics and solenoids in it without disconnecting the fluid pipes?

Q.3 If you unscrew the plastic front bit does it leak brake fluid?

Q.4 Do you need T4 to open valves and bleed replacement abs?

Q.5 Does ABS need T4 to code it to the car?

Any hints of DIY ABS replacement?
-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 19:15   #2
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

I had a problem (twice actually) with my ABS ecu. Basically corrosopn on the pins, a common fault. I managed to change just the electronics bit so as not to disturb the pipework and hence require bleeding the system. I purchased both from members on here, no idea which car model they came from, but certain without traction control. Mine is a KV6 2.5 auto.
The job is tricky, but possible. The screws holding the 2 parts together are awkward to get at, I seem to remember I used hex screwdriver bits and a combination of spanners and sockets to turn them. Very tedious. I also had to carefully lever the unit around, with potential damage to pipes, but managed ok. Also, the connector has to be treated carefully. It has a slider which has to be fully released before separating the connector from the unit (and replacing it). Also the pins are easily bent. I ended up using a multimeter to check continuity between the inside of the ECU, and the wires from the connector, using a needle to pierce the insulation.
There is no loss of fluid if you do it this way, nor is a T4 needed. Tricky, but possible with care and patience.

Stewart
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 19:42   #3
-Joe
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Classic SE 1.8T

Default ty

Thanks Stewart. I think you answered everything for me.

Gunna do the job ASAP.
-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 19:58   #4
Cable Tie
Regional Secretary

Orange grove ztt cdti

Thanked 1,381 Times in 818 Posts

If your worried about fluid loss there's a failsafe way to exchange the whole unit if you get a second person to push the pedal to the floor as you would bleed the brakes release a bleed nipple to release the pressure tighten the nipple back up whilst holding the pedal to the floor put either a length of wood or bar on the pedal and prop it off the front of the seat and no fluid will come out if the pedal is kept at the floor I've used this method on numerous occasions and it has worked every time I hope this helps
Old 16th April 2017, 21:46   #5
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Q.1 Will any Rover 75 petrol / diesel ebay 2nd hand Rover 75 ECU ABS fit a diesel without traction control?

A. There is a 2 letter code stamped on the aluminium valve body of the ABS unit (don't confuse this with the pipe identification letters).
If your car doesn't have TC, you should not fit a ABS ECU from a vehicle with TC.

Q.2 Can you just swap the plastic front bit with the elctronics and solenoids in it without disconnecting the fluid pipes?

A. Yes you can albeit a bit fiddly.

Q.3 If you unscrew the plastic front bit does it leak brake fluid?

A. No

Q.4 Do you need T4 to open valves and bleed replacement abs?

A. You don't need to bleed the ABS unit if you are only swapping the ECU.

Q.5 Does ABS need T4 to code it to the car?

A. No, provided you go by the 2 letter code.

Any hints of DIY ABS replacement?

Make sure you have your radio code (unless you have hi-line satnav/tv or aftermarket).
Battery & battery tray out, disconnect harness multi-plug, un-mount ABS unit by removing the bolts from the top bracket & then pull up on the whole unit to release the bottom locating pin mounting.
Twist the whole unit around slightly to gain access to all the ECU mounting screws.
If I remember rightly, they are security Torx screws (they have a central pin sticking up so your Torx bit needs to be hollow in the centre).

Last edited by mh007; 16th April 2017 at 21:52..
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote