Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st June 2013, 07:41   #1
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Default Really Annoyed...

Got my renewal from Peter Best for my ZT. Last year my premium was £650 and my renewal letter gave me a price of a touch over £700 with my 'new' endorsements.
Not too bad an increase considering and I had added the side skirts to the list of modifications so I thought i'll take it.
Phoned them up to go through a few errors in the quote details and also had to notify them of an incident from back in May in a motability car.

I was in BP filling up (pump 1) and had gone inside to pay, on my way out I noticed an Astra moving in reverse towards my Astra, it mounted the kerb and scraped the back bumper of my car. My wife and kids were in my car.
I rushed over and there was nobody in the other car, peered inside and noticed the electric handbrake.
The owner came out of the adjacent shop frantic as her car wasn't where she parked it and she thought it had been stolen.
She said at the time she'd just bought the car and was just getting to grips with the electronic handbrake and she'd forgot to engage it.
She admitted liability and I informed my insurer and the work was done at no cost to me.

Peter Best then came back with a renewal of £1400, which I just cannot justify. So even though I was a completely innocent party my insurance has doubled, the only other thing that changed was that the car is now on a drive, not on the street as the original renewal stated.

So i'm now in a position where I either stump up the £1400, SORN the car for a year until a speeding endorsment expires or sell the car.

Wish i'd just let it go, but you can't. All incidents MUST be reported to your insurer whether or not a claim is made regardless of fault.... or your cover is invalidated!

Insurance......biggest con going. And it is a compulsory nessecity
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 07:56   #2
TriumphStag
Gets stuck in

MK1 Connie SE 2.0CDTi Tourer

That is ridiculous. I would check the three main comparison sites and see what they come back with.

www.comparethemarket.com
www.confused.com
www.gocompare.com

I do this every year and generally get my renewal halved.
TriumphStag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 08:03   #3
andyg2011
This is my second home

no mg/rover ATM

Wink

Wow Thats @@@@

Cant believe you do the right thing and they shaft you for it,

You was the one that put me onto peter best last year,

I cant wait for my renewal now,

Please click below for nano website and 2014 dates etc etc
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/i...nocard_sig.jpg

Thanks

Andy
andyg2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 08:12   #4
DaveyC
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T Diesel

Definitely GOooooo Compareeee!!!!! That is just mad. Its not a serious quote.

Mine from Direct Line cane in at £480 this year. went on price comparisons and now have a better policy for £313 !! Direct line had been cheapest by a mile last year. They also seem to have little or no interest in keeping me on as a customer and moving on their price. Their loss.

Seriously, you should shop round on the net.......

Dave
Old 21st June 2013, 08:32   #5
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
Got my renewal from Peter Best for my ZT. Last year my premium was £650 and my renewal letter gave me a price of a touch over £700 with my 'new' endorsements.
Not too bad an increase considering and I had added the side skirts to the list of modifications so I thought i'll take it.
Phoned them up to go through a few errors in the quote details and also had to notify them of an incident from back in May in a motability car.

I was in BP filling up (pump 1) and had gone inside to pay, on my way out I noticed an Astra moving in reverse towards my Astra, it mounted the kerb and scraped the back bumper of my car. My wife and kids were in my car.
I rushed over and there was nobody in the other car, peered inside and noticed the electric handbrake.
The owner came out of the adjacent shop frantic as her car wasn't where she parked it and she thought it had been stolen.
She said at the time she'd just bought the car and was just getting to grips with the electronic handbrake and she'd forgot to engage it.
She admitted liability and I informed my insurer and the work was done at no cost to me.

Peter Best then came back with a renewal of £1400, which I just cannot justify. So even though I was a completely innocent party my insurance has doubled, the only other thing that changed was that the car is now on a drive, not on the street as the original renewal stated.

So i'm now in a position where I either stump up the £1400, SORN the car for a year until a speeding endorsment expires or sell the car.

Wish i'd just let it go, but you can't. All incidents MUST be reported to your insurer whether or not a claim is made regardless of fault.... or your cover is invalidated!

Insurance......biggest con going. And it is a compulsory nessecity
Ouch. I feel your pain.

Try Lancaster Classic Insurance, I insure my ZT with them on a classic policy, comes in about £270. With that policy NCD is disregarded, so you can use it on another car - if you have another car that is!

FWIW I had someone reverse into me last year in my SLK, so I now have a no fault endorsement on my policy. My SLK is a 3.5l V6, 306bhp and amazingly my insurance dropped by around £200, to £284, thats with Swift Cover via confused.com.
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 08:36   #6
TriumphStag
Gets stuck in

MK1 Connie SE 2.0CDTi Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
Try Lancaster Classic Insurance, I insure my ZT with them on a classic policy, comes in about £270. With that policy NCD is disregarded, so you can use it on another car - if you have another car that
I thought you could only get a classic policy on a second car. I.e. you have to have a normally insured car first?
TriumphStag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 08:53   #7
roverchippy
Regular poster

2001 Rover 75 connie CDT

Hi,

I had the same issue and dont let them walk all over you!!!!

I persisted and claimed back the full amount of increase on my insurance over the next 5 years - that was an extra 4 grand in my pocket which has genuinly gone back on this increase.

I hate claiming - i really do...but my quoite went from 650 to about 1600...

Just so you know

2001 Rover 75 Connie CDT!
1977 Austin Allegro Vandan Plas 1500 auto!
1989 Austin Metro 998cc Cityx!
2006 Cityrover Select!
1993 Maestro LX!

RIP

Rover 414 - Cambelt snapped
Rover 220 - Somewhere in wales...
Austin Allegro 1300 - Rear end shunt - seems to be back on the road!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
roverchippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 08:54   #8
roverchippy
Regular poster

2001 Rover 75 connie CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphStag View Post
I thought you could only get a classic policy on a second car. I.e. you have to have a normally insured car first?

No not at all - very few insurers do this now...

2001 Rover 75 Connie CDT!
1977 Austin Allegro Vandan Plas 1500 auto!
1989 Austin Metro 998cc Cityx!
2006 Cityrover Select!
1993 Maestro LX!

RIP

Rover 414 - Cambelt snapped
Rover 220 - Somewhere in wales...
Austin Allegro 1300 - Rear end shunt - seems to be back on the road!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
roverchippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 09:04   #9
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

That's terrible news Alan. I have seen similar reviews about your insurer on the net how they suck people in with a low rate and double it up on the first claim. I always try to settle a claim privately without involving the insurance people, but then if the 3rd party won't agree that's a non starter. I wonder if you could get a classic car quote?

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 21st June 2013 at 09:07..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 09:09   #10
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Just shows that honesty doesn't pay with these sharks!

If someone's car ran into mine in a filling station and the Insurance wasn't involved, there's no way that I'd tell them, as it a No CLAIMS Discount, not a no incident discount!

I've said it before and I'll sat it again, Car Insurance in this Country is the closest thing you can come to legalised theft!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote