Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th November 2010, 15:05   #41
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverama View Post
Apart from the enthusiast owned vehicles, these cars will go much the same way as the rest. Once the cost of repairs outstrips the perceived value of the car they will be scrapped or broken for spares.
I've visited the breakers yard recently whilst looking for bits and bobs for the ZT, some very nice 75s are being broken, which would give years of motoring for the sake of a few hundred quid.
It's the way people (don't) value things in a throw away society!

Stephen
I agree to some extent Stephen, BUT compared to any other Car in the last decade owners are definitely spending more on 75/ZT's to keep them on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagHalfrunt View Post
Well having just spent ~£740 on springs/brakes etc on a car that's probably worth only double that I think I have to keep it now just to get my money's worth! Drives better than it ever has mind.

That's the problem - my car is worth more in bits and certainly worth more to me. If anyone is interested in buying one of these I will tell them all the same thing - "they are cheap to buy, expensive to maintain but you'll love it!" When I park it at Work it's one of the few cars which "sticks out" from the crowd of boredom.

I hate going back to other cars so I can see me keeping it for a fair few more years. 20 years is nothing on a modern car anyway.
Good on you Sir for treating it to an extended life!!
At stated previously owners are spending £500-£700 or even £1000 on bills because for that money they cannot find a different make that is as nice as these we all know & love

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 15:23   #42
Roverama
Last chance saloon

SAAB 900S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I agree to some extent Stephen, BUT compared to any other Car in the last decade owners are definitely spending more on 75/ZT's to keep them on the road

Good on you Sir for treating it to an extended life!!
At stated previously owners are spending £500-£700 or even £1000 on bills because for that money they cannot find a different make that is as nice as these we all know & love
I absolutely agree, and that's been my philosophy since my first 75 on which I spent more than it's book value several times over, and never regretted it.

I shall continue to value my current car this way, as other enthusiasts will. However as for the majority of non enthusiast owners, once the big bills start arriving they will jump ship and look for something else.

Also, at the risk of sounding negative, once the enormous hike in the road fund license kicks in next year I expect even more of these lovely cars to go the same way.

I'm not saying it's right or fair, just how it seems to me !
Roverama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 11:55   #43
EnEnGee
Posted a thing or two

CDT Tourer (SORN) & 2.0 V6 Saloon

When we started to look out for a V6 saloon to complement the diesel tourer a couple of years ago, we noted that many of them had been perfectly good cars gotten rid of by their previous owners at the time the cam belts became due for replacement.

Whether this was a coincidence with the cars reaching a certain age, or whether the big bills frightened them off, who can tell.

Also, when at the Kent Agricultural Show this summer, we took the time to look at some of the new metal on show by the local dealers in the North Kent and Maidstone area. Some nice motors with undoubtedly all the toys, but oh dear. Acres and acres of bleak hard black or grey plastic inside. None of the cars we looked at inspired once inside them, even though they often looked stunning from outside.

We returned to the wood and leather comfort of our 8 year old Connie SE in contemplative mood. We didn't see anything that particularly excited us, so I think our two will be around for a while yet.
EnEnGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 12:23   #44
rotrex
Passed Away

mg zt cdti se 150+. mg ztt 190 lpg. rover 75 cdt club se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnEnGee View Post
When we started to look out for a V6 saloon to complement the diesel tourer a couple of years ago, we noted that many of them had been perfectly good cars gotten rid of by their previous owners at the time the cam belts became due for replacement.

Whether this was a coincidence with the cars reaching a certain age, or whether the big bills frightened them off, who can tell.

Also, when at the Kent Agricultural Show this summer, we took the time to look at some of the new metal on show by the local dealers in the North Kent and Maidstone area. Some nice motors with undoubtedly all the toys, but oh dear. Acres and acres of bleak hard black or grey plastic inside. None of the cars we looked at inspired once inside them, even though they often looked stunning from outside.

We returned to the wood and leather comfort of our 8 year old Connie SE in contemplative mood. We didn't see anything that particularly excited us, so I think our two will be around for a while yet.
I agree with your coment on the plastic. I had a C5 hdi for over a year untill I got my zt. it has to be said the C5 is a fantastic car, faultles reliability,comfort,MPG ect ect it really did everything said on the tin. however part of me hated it so much it really was a chore the thought of having to drive somewhere in it.{not a nice place to be inside it, like being trapped in a sea of boring plastic} now I find myself finding excuses to drive places, anywhere at all, sometimes nowhere at all just go and drive. for me that is the difference between C5 and my current ZT, I dont fully understand why but thats how I feel about it, tam.
rotrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 17:09   #45
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

I reckon these car like many others on the road today driven or cossetted are sound enough to last till the point where we are priced off the Roads and that can't be more than 10-15 years away, by then emission requirements will get us all

I sold my CDT Saloon and Tourer because needs dictated I need more seats
I miss the drive and economy they both offered the Grand scenic I use now does not compare in any way other than the flexibility of it 7 seats

I love driving my V8 but at £50 a trip I have to do that in moderation
so I will not be clocking up loads more miles in it perhaps 3k a year so it will be the powers that be (or redundancy) that will be the end of my ownership.

Before geting my 2nd V8 I was toying with buying another Motorbike for a speed fix but the V8 is almost as quick on acceleration as any Bike I have owned, faster and miles safer and cheaper. I can't believe how expensive Bikes are now!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 18:23   #46
nick nick
Retired

R75 CDTI SE ( N80 UTD )

Personally i think the decision will be taken out of our hands
with the introduction of electric vehicles i think petrol & deisel cars will
be priced off the roads

Last edited by nick nick; 12th November 2010 at 18:25..
nick nick is offline   Reply With Quote