Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st October 2009, 18:07   #1
Pedro
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi Saloon, facelift model, manual

Default Big thanks to Greeners

Many thanks David for fitting my fuel burning heater today. It's just a shame that I seem to have bought a dud, but that's the risk you take I suppose when you buy from a scrappy.

Having read through some of the threads on FBHs it seems that the fault could be with the pcb, the burner and/or the glow plug. Is there a member near me with a working fbh who would be prepared to try my pcb in their unit so I can see if that's OK or not?

Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 18:14   #2
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Peter

pleasure to be of service, bit disappointing but hopefully easy to fix....
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 18:54   #3
Departed
Retired

--

Have you tried getting the Webasto diagnostics from their website. I think Keith has a link in a thread. He may also be ebale to advise, and I believe he offers a testing service for a reasonable fee.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 19:03   #4
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowedb View Post
Have you tried getting the Webasto diagnostics from their website. I think Keith has a link in a thread. He may also be ebale to advise, and I believe he offers a testing service for a reasonable fee.
Hopefully once my Resler I/F arrive, I can run the webasto Diagnostics......The strange thing is, as soon as you plug the power connector on, the fan kicks in, and that's with nothing else connected.

The PCB is very clean, as is the whole unit, fan and pump work, and there is an out putt to the glowplug.

we're hoping the burner is coked up, but if not it's PCB...(probably)
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 19:36   #5
Departed
Retired

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
Hopefully once my Resler I/F arrive, I can run the webasto Diagnostics......The strange thing is, as soon as you plug the power connector on, the fan kicks in, and that's with nothing else connected.

The PCB is very clean, as is the whole unit, fan and pump work, and there is an out putt to the glowplug.

we're hoping the burner is coked up, but if not it's PCB...(probably)
OK, good.

If you connect the Resler just to the car, it will be OK, but direct to the heater may be a problem. The bus needs a pull up resistor to work, I think it lives in the BCU.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 20:06   #6
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

I never got the Resler to work off the car with or without pull up resistors
Glow plug is easy to resolve 0.3 ohm good, any more bad most bad ones I saw were about 0.6 ohm on my DVM.

I tried a couple of those dedicated Webasto diag interfaces from ebay one worked for about 10 minutes on my test rig then went up in smoke its replacement immeadiately went up in smoke got a refund and stuck to the resler

Decoking the burner with caustic soda before fitting ought to be mandatory easy to do off car impossible on.

I dont do any FBH work for people now it was far too time consuming and I got ripped off by a couple of members, postage alone is not cheap so not funny when people don't pay up even for that.

Plus my Radiator I was using for the test rig is now installed in the house

I think as the FBH pipes are so high that low water level in the tank leads to air being trapped in the top pipe and poor circulation that could quickly lead to the FBH burner overheating too many of them and the PCB will be cooked.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 12:13   #7
Pedro
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi Saloon, facelift model, manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Decoking the burner with caustic soda before fitting ought to be mandatory easy to do off car impossible on.
OK, I've just bought some caustic soda to do a decoke. I've seen some references to 'leaving the burner to soak overnight', but what strength of solution is recommended?

Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 12:35   #8
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Keith very kindly checked my FBH while I was at his place, sadly it was Kaputt! The circuit board was goosed.

Personaly, from what I have read about the FBH, it is not worth all the time and trouble they take to repair, thanks to Keith and his T4, I can now run my car engine with the doors locked for 5 mins. Simple and effective..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:31   #9
SMC Trading
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Many thanks David for fitting my fuel burning heater today. It's just a shame that I seem to have bought a dud, but that's the risk you take I suppose when you buy from a scrappy.

Having read through some of the threads on FBHs it seems that the fault could be with the pcb, the burner and/or the glow plug. Is there a member near me with a working fbh who would be prepared to try my pcb in their unit so I can see if that's OK or not?
He is indeed a good egg
SMC Trading is offline   Reply With Quote