Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th May 2009, 09:33   #21
keiron99
Loves to post

75 Connie SE 2.0 CDT auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
Buy a mk3 Ford Mondeo or a Volvo S60, basically the same cars with various components etc swoped over, hell, even the dash switch boards on the pre 2002 are volvo spares.
Isn't it the X Type, rather than the S Type, that's based on the Mondeo?
keiron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 10:25   #22
JP53
I really should get out more.......

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE saloon. 'Eliza'

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiron99 View Post
Yes

The X type is a nice car but the S type has a much better ride.

"Eliza ... Where the devil are my slippers?"
JP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 19:13   #23
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1983 View Post
If going for an s type it has to be the model 2000.5 onwards with electronic park brake, the models before that had the horrible chrysler box that had massive problems, also the rear suspension on those models was different and was absolutely terrible (jag never wanted to fit it was forced to by ford) other things to look out for on all model years are worn suspension bushes (common on all bushes) front tyres will be worn out within 10-15000 miles (wear on inner edge set up for high speed stabilty) a wheel alignment to jag spec wont cure that, on petrols the ignition coils are a common failure,and on the later zf 6 speed gearbox the oil cooler can become contaminated with coolant and can contaminate the gearbox leading to new gearbox, they can also jerk forward with the later box leading to a software update and if really bad can neeed again a new box, other common things are water ingress into boot area and electronic park brake wiring faults above rear axle (warning on dash epb failure) sometimes this can also be the motor faulty, engine are generally good although can suffer timing chain problems, another thing to look out for on petrols is the engine hunting and this is another common fault which is the rear engine breather split, having worked for jag the s type is a good car but you gotta find a good one.
Hi,
One or to points to sort out.
1. No Chrystler auto boxes were ever fitted to the S-type. from 1999 - 2002 they had the Ford 5speed auto box or the option of the 5speed Getrang manual box similar to the 75 manual box.
The first Facelift in 2002 model year had redesigned front suspension, electric operated hand brake, a new interior front dash, the centre of which is similar to the 75 and the Ford 5 speed auto box was replaced by a 6 speed ZF unit.
The late 2004 Facelift for Model Year 2005 saw some front end re-styling, round shaped fog lights, a slightly more upright front grille, and an aluminium bonnet. New dials for the dash board, rear end styling changes, giving a very slightly deeper boot, with new rear wings, lights and new chrome trim arrangements were all introduced at this point. ie Bumper chrome strip now ran across the full width of the rear bumper but narrower in size and new chrome plinth the full width of the boot lid was also introduced. The 2.7 Diesel was also introduced at this point. The V6 2.5 petrol engine was discontinued in May 2006, leaving the V6 3Ltr, V8 4.2Ltr and 4.2Ltr supercharged engines along with the new 2.7Ltr Diesel as the choice of engines.
I have been running my 2005 facelift for 2.5 years now and have found it a very smooth and comfortable car indeed. However I honestly think that the interior of the 75 is superior to the S-Type, in as much as the 75 offers a better interior, with more and better storage areas, a left foot resting plate, wiper cut off when coming to a halt and imo less comfortable seats than the 75. The 75's boot is also much deeper than the S-Type and we find our cases etc have to be laid flat which limits the capcity somewhat.
My 2.5 with 205 bhp has a manual gearbox, which took some finding, as I prefer a manual box. On long runs it is return 30 /32 mpg and local running about 26/27 mpg. I find the 2.5 V6 gives a very good performance, with plenty of power available when required, though some think you need the 3ltr V6 or the bigger V8s to give a Jaguar style performance. Running cost so far have been not bad and the car has been 100% reliable.
With regards to the styling, I much prefer the 2004 update, which I think improved the cars overall looks.
Hope this answers some questions and would advise that in preference, if considering an S-Type, choose the 2002 facelift versions and beyond. You can identify the earlier models by the front grille and bonnet arrangement, as they had the round Jaguar badge set in the bonnet immediately behind the radiator grille. Later models have the Jaguar badge incorporated in the grille and also have the 75 like interior centre dash and electric operated handbrake. Cloth upholstery was available with Leather and premium Leather Options. Again the leather specs with the Jaguar look the better choice where as with the 75 the cloth spec seats looked very good and were very comfortable.
Regards,
Telfer.
PS My S-Type and the 75 it succeeded.

Last edited by Telferstr; 24th May 2009 at 19:51..
Telferstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 19:31   #24
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiron99 View Post
Oppps, my bad. Always learning something!
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote