Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2009, 23:50   #11
Chris Broughton
Loves to post

2003 Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connie SE + Projectors ,Chrome Grille +Hi Line Nav,Walnut Kit,Sunroof.

The 75 is a fantastic car. I previously Owned an Omega 2.5 CDX before I opted out of the company car scheme the Vauxhall was very comfy but extremely thirsty.

My preference would be for the diesel and they are smooth economical and long lasting.

The car you are looking at looks a nice example. All I would say is not to jump straight in there are nice 75's out there and the higher spec cars are that little bit special.
I tracked down my Connoiseur SE in CDTI Auto Tourer spec and find it a fantastic motor. The extra's make owning the 75 an even better experience. I previously owned a Connoiseur saloon the MK1 SE has lots of toys Al la CDX and is a pleasure to drive.
Cruise Control , CD Player and Hi Line Navigation packs (If you can find one)electric leather heated memory seats etc all add to the pleasure of driving and worth a bit of patience in finding one so agree with Demon on that one.

Good Luck and look forward to hearing your news.

Best regards
Chris
Old 24th May 2009, 07:31   #12
JP53
I really should get out more.......

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE saloon. 'Eliza'

Hi baconbuttyman and welcome to the club.

The car in the link looks very nice, my favorite colour too.

However there are lots out there and coming from a high spec car you may be happier with a Connoisseur or Connoisseur SE, they have full leather and other extras. Remember though that if you find a classic or club that you think ticks all the right boxes and is in fantastic condition most of the up grade bit's can be retrofitted.

I live in Kidderminster and if you are any were near then you are very welcome to come and drive my 1.8. I also have a sales brochure with all the Club, Classic and Connoisseur standard kit listed. If you live far away then I can post you the brochure, as long as you promise to post it back

I only do short journeys on fairly busy roads. Speed limits are mostly 30 or 40 mph around my area so the 1.8 copes well enough, the insurance is low, as are servicing costs, timing belt change etc, so it suits me. The 1.8T as the same advantages (insurance is higher) but with a bit more go. Against this is the fact that the turbo charger is an extra bit to go wrong.

The diesel is similar in 0-60 performance and top end, but is better through the gears. It is more economical on fuel but like for like is normally more expensive to buy. The performance can be improved easily with the addition of a Rover Ron box. I have owned 3 diesels.

I can not say much about the 2.0 V6 because I have not owned one, but being a V6 it should be smoother than the 1.8 and have a bit more go in it. I think the insurance will be a bit more expensive.

The 2.5 V6 engine is very smooth and gives a great driving experience. It sounds great and suits the 75 best of all. However it is a thirsty old beast, especially on short high volume traffic journeys. IF road tax brackets reach the government proposed rates, it will be expensive to tax. Cam belt change is expensive too. I have owned 2 2.5 V6's

If you can test drive all the types then do so, look at the sort of mileage and journeys you will be doing, get insurance and service quotes, but most of all get the best condition car (preferably with full service history) that you can afford.

Which ever engine/model configuration you choose you will have a very well built, great looking car, with a supple ride that is simply the best product ever built by BMC, British Leyland, BL, Austin-Rover, Rover, MG/Rover.

Hope this helps, all the best, John.

"Eliza ... Where the devil are my slippers?"

Last edited by JP53; 24th May 2009 at 07:34..
Old 24th May 2009, 07:54   #13
JP53

Here are some nice one's, including a couple of face lifts. All are £3000 or less. There are plenty more too
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...leRegLetter=52
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...leRegLetter=02
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...cleRegLetter=Y
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...icleRegLetter=
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...leRegLetter=53
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...leRegLetter=04
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...leRegLetter=54
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...cleRegLetter=T

Old 24th May 2009, 09:03   #14
baconbuttyman
Banned

also looking at this one, opinions welcome and appreciated, the car is about 5 min drive from me, there are a few bits need doing but i think thats reflected in the price#
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-ROVER-75-...3A1%7C294%3A50
Old 24th May 2009, 09:14   #15
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Only thing to do is go and have a look. Wear and tear. Depends on how much you want to spend. Didn´t give me very good vibs. If he is worried about the charges for ebay one can wonder how he has looked after the car. Look at ALL the bills!:lol: Alan
Old 24th May 2009, 09:27   #16
baconbuttyman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverowner View Post
Only thing to do is go and have a look. Wear and tear. Depends on how much you want to spend. Didn´t give me very good vibs. If he is worried about the charges for ebay one can wonder how he has looked after the car. Look at ALL the bills!:lol: Alan
i have actually seen the car and its it good condition apart from it needs a good clean, also the drivers door velour around the door opener is very slightly worn as is the door opener, but its a nice spec and cheap enough to put a bit of money into to bring it back to show room condition.

also how important is the history on a diesle. the diesle in the showroom i have seen only has part history.
what mpg will i get with a 1.8 petrol and a 2.0 diesle
Old 24th May 2009, 09:49   #17
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Seems okay then by your description. If your hapy with the overall look then why not? Look at the MPG threads on here and you wil get anidea of the mpgs. I have a diesel, first one I´ve owned, and I´m really pleased with it. Keep thinking the gauge is stuck!. The diesel is very reliable so I don´t think there is much trouble there. The others will be along shortly (when they get up or get back from the pub!) So wait a while.Alan
Old 24th May 2009, 10:00   #18
JP53

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbuttyman View Post
i have actually seen the car and its it good condition apart from it needs a good clean, also the drivers door velour around the door opener is very slightly worn as is the door opener, but its a nice spec and cheap enough to put a bit of money into to bring it back to show room condition.

also how important is the history on a diesle. the diesle in the showroom i have seen only has part history.
what mpg will i get with a 1.8 petrol and a 2.0 diesle
1.8 Pertol Urban 26.6 Extra Urban 46.3 Combined 36.2
2.0 Diesel Urban 36.5 Extra Urban 60.7 Combined 48.8

Official MGR figures

Old 24th May 2009, 13:12   #19
magranville
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8t Contemporary SE

Hello and welcome to the club. You have done the best thing when buying a 75, that being talking to the members of this club. I did this before buying mine and have found the assistance and advice invaluable.

I can only talk about the 1.8t as that is the car I have (owned for 3 months) plus I am not very technically skilled. Owning a 1.8 really is a case of minimising the risks associated with the engine:-

Coolant loss = Check level in expansion tank very frequently. T-cut (a member on this site) has a good picture of the correct coolant level and very knowledgeable on the 1.8. I check my expansion tank level when dark, shining a torch through the tank on the right hand side to make the level more obvious in the opaque tank. Using a torch is also good for checking for leaks elsewhere in the coolant system as slight losses 'glint' in the torch light. Kaiser (club member) has done and is doing some long term testing of 'non surgical' coolant loss treatment. The 'T' piece in the coolant system (just behind the radiator) is made of plastic and deforms over time. My car leaked coolant from the 'T' but again a member of the club (Gerry3) makes a bespoke replacement in stainless steel that I have had fitted that has stopped this leak.

Over Heating = Another member, (see what I mean about the technical advice and skill of members of this club) Haans, makes a temperature display/monitor that can be placed on/in the dash making temperature monitoring easier. You can monitor engine temperature from a menu in the on board computer details of which can be found on the this site.

Head Gasket = This site is full of tales of head gasket failure (HGF). They nearly put me off buying my car but at the same time there is a lot of useful advice to help prevent/delay HGF. As already mentioned there is a modified head gasket, bolts and oil ladder available that helps reduce HGF.

MPG = On a run doing 55 - 60 mph (which drives my wife mad) I can get 42 - 45 mpg. To and from work, about 28 miles on mainly A roads I average 36 mpg. These figures are from the on board computer so may be over economic.

Performance = more than acceptable. Once the turbo really takes effect pick up is very nice indeed.

Comfort = I have a contemporary se with lots of toys (heated, electric leather, dual climate, stereo upgrade etc) which makes the car a very pleasant place to be. The ride comfort is a 75 strong point. Bumps do not seem as harsh and you arrive at your destination a bit more refreshed and relaxed.

Overall = Ignore the majority of the reviews from 'motoring journalists' and web sites. Read what real owners say on this site and look at the 75s standing in the auto express used car list. Ask questions of the members of this site, get a good warranty either from a garage or privately and enjoy a great car.

Sorry for being overly 'wordy' but i wanted to share my limited ownership experience and express my thanks for the assistance I have had from the members and to help a potential new 75 owner.

Marcus
Old 24th May 2009, 13:20   #20
JP53

Marcus that is a great post, very informative

Closed Thread