Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd May 2009, 14:45   #11
JP53
I really should get out more.......

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE saloon. 'Eliza'

Fair comments.

I have always been 100% up front on ebay. The vast majority of ebayers are honest (as are people in real life) but these sort of scams, if indeed it is one, make my blood boil. I have managed to raise over £3000 in the past few months by being honest and up front with people. There is no need to fiddle others, I think some people are just being greedy.

I agree that two wrongs don't make a right but if some ones kicks me in the shin I kick them back

"Eliza ... Where the devil are my slippers?"
JP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 15:05   #12
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbooker View Post
One of the tenets of British justice is that a person is innocent until proven guilty. I live by this philosophy, and I am doing nothing more than making allegations against an unidentified trader and bidder, with a view to the legal bods at Ebay providing the proof, if it exists - probably a forlorn hope, either way.

There, how magnanimous is that, Roverowner?
I agree with you wholheartidly! There of the comment -there you go-.

As for kicks in chins I agree aswell. Nobody mucks about with me either so I know what you mean, different ways of doing things though.

Dear old -Maureen- in Somerset admits she´s had the money off me for a ventilation grille for a Stag but has decided to keep it (as she broke her other one). I´ve got all the emails to this effect. I gave here the benifit and waited (too long as it happens) for here to give me back my cash (or the grille) but no. E Bay said to much time had elapsed so they couldn´t do anything. She still trades. Hope she´s happy. I´m happy that I was brought up, not dragged up.:lol:Alan
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 15:09   #13
JP53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverowner View Post
I agree with you wholheartidly! There of the comment -there you go-.

As for kicks in chins I agree aswell. Nobody mucks about with me either so I know what you mean, different ways of doing things though.

Dear old -Maureen- in Somerset admits she´s had the money off me for a ventilation grille for a Stag but has decided to keep it (as she broke her other one). I´ve got all the emails to this effect. I gave here the benifit and waited (too long as it happens) for here to give me back my cash (or the grille) but no. E Bay said to much time had elapsed so they couldn´t do anything. She still trades. Hope she´s happy. I´m happy that I was brought up, not dragged up.:lol:Alan
There certainly are some characters on ebay Alan!

One lady bought a load of Dinosaur models off me for her 4 young children to play with arrrrrr. I had already checked her out and found that she had bought and sold dozens of them (dinosaurs not children). Why lie?

Old 23rd May 2009, 15:22   #14
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Yes, human nature is a funny thing! She probably thought that you would part with them at a better price by hoping you had a soft spot for kids.

Most people are decent but often werey of others. Causes too much bickering. The study of human nature never stops to facinate (probably why I´ve got the job I have). I went from -sorting them out- (6 years in the Parachute regiment) to trying to understand and help -them out-

Think my previous occupation in a lot of ways was much easier!! It´s really good to have the dialog that we have in this club - something we all need to keep going!!Alan
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 15:46   #15
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

I loathe and detest shill bidding and have spent considerable time gthering evidence to force ebay to take action on a number of occasions.....however;

He made just one bid, which forced me to raise my offer to £245.

"Forced" maybe the wrong phraseology, perhaps "manoeuvred" would be a better term.

Actually no, you bid what you were prepared to pay and then you paid what you were prepared to pay...which is as it should be. Now, one may argue, 'but I could have paid less' but equally the seller could argue that you were prepared to pay more! You chose to pay the going rate at the specific moment you chose to buy...whether it was shill bid or otherwise....it is a bit like those who bought a Rover the day before they went under...

Nevertheless, you were right to report your suspicions
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 16:11   #16
davidbooker
Gets stuck in

'51 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Conn. Purchased 02/05

Quote:
Actually no, you bid what you were prepared to pay and then you paid what you were prepared to pay...which is as it should be. Now, one may argue, 'but I could have paid less' but equally the seller could argue that you were prepared to pay more! You chose to pay the going rate at the specific moment you chose to buy...whether it was shill bid or otherwise....it is a bit like those who bought a Rover the day before they went under...
Well, if the alleged shill bidder really was the stooge of the seller, I was "forced" to pay £25 more than necessary because the bid was illegal. This is tantamount to theft in my book, no matter how much anyone tries to reconcile it to market forces, personal choice, and so on.

The Rover bankruptcy debacle is quite a different matter. I bought my beautiful three year old 75 2.5 V6 just six weeks before Rover went under, and I paid £10k for her as she had only covered 9000 miles. The fact that I could have bought a new one for about £12k a few weeks later was irritating, but I knew that nobody had deceived me, so I accepted it philosophically, and I am perfectly happy with my wonderful car.

However, a friend of mine, a Vicar, bought a brand new 75 CDTI literally days before the failure, and paid £17k. He was beside himself with rage, as he thought the main agent (the same as mine) had conned him, so he traded it in elsewhere for £10k against a new Jaguar X Type 2.D at £22k!! So his fit of pique effectively cost him £19k, just because he thought he had been duped.....none so strange as folks, as they say!
davidbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 16:18   #17
JP53

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbooker View Post
Well, if the alleged shill bidder really was the stooge of the seller, I was "forced" to pay £25 more than necessary because the bid was illegal. This is tantamount to theft in my book, no matter how much anyone tries to reconcile it to market forces, personal choice, and so on.

The Rover bankruptcy debacle is quite a different matter. I bought my beautiful three year old 75 2.5 V6 just six weeks before Rover went under, and I paid £10k for her as she had only covered 9000 miles. The fact that I could have bought a new one for about £12k a few weeks later was irritating, but I knew that nobody had deceived me, so I accepted it philosophically, and I am perfectly happy with my wonderful car.

However, a friend of mine, a Vicar, bought a brand new 75 CDTI literally days before the failure, and paid £17k. He was beside himself with rage, as he thought the main agent (the same as mine) had conned him, so he traded it in elsewhere for £10k against a new Jaguar X Type 2.D at £22k!! So his fit of pique effectively cost him £19k, just because he thought he had been duped.....none so strange as folks, as they say!
You would have thought his boss would have tipped him off

My local MGR dealers had strarted to sell KIA along side the MGR car's a few months before Rover folded. It did make me wounder just how much the dealerships new about Rover's plight.

I also found that some parts (alloy wheels for instance) were hard to come by. I needed one for a 75 and a chap who I worked with was waiting for two MGTF wheels for his accident damaged car which make have been down to bills not being payed.

Old 23rd May 2009, 16:29   #18
davidbooker
Gets stuck in

'51 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Conn. Purchased 02/05

Quote:
You would have thought his boss would have tipped him off

Very good!

Funnily enough, my car was owned by a vicar prior to his trading her in for a Mini - perhaps he was nearer to God than me.......

Last edited by davidbooker; 23rd May 2009 at 16:31..
davidbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 22:03   #19
TurboZed
Loves to post

75 saloon

Theres a simple solution to this that I use. When you see an item, think what the maximum amount you are willing to bid is, and then place that bid 20 seconds before the end of the auction. Nobody can counter bid, theres no time, and you either get the item in the price range you want, or you don't. Simple.

TurboZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 23:31   #20
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboZed View Post
Theres a simple solution to this that I use. When you see an item, think what the maximum amount you are willing to bid is, and then place that bid 20 seconds before the end of the auction. Nobody can counter bid, theres no time, and you either get the item in the price range you want, or you don't. Simple.
Then there's e-bay's auto bid which puts a bid in at the last nano-second (Admittedly only up to the bidders maximum bid)

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote