Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th August 2019, 17:43   #411
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool What a lovely day I have had spent...................

.............................................. with my niece Laura.

Laura along with her boyfriend Ollie and his mum Carol have been on holiday in Bude, staying at a friends cottage. And today they came to see me. We met at Louis Tea Rooms at Kit Hill on the outskirts of Callington. They have a hire car, one of those Hyundai i10's. On a 19 plate as well.

We had a nice lunch followed by a dessert which we all shared. I did intend to pay for the meal, with my new debit card, but Ollie beat me to it.
Then we took the cars, I had Banana today, up to the top of Kit Hill so that my guests could see Cornwall and Devon laid out like a giant carpet. The wind was sharp but the view is worth it.

Then we convoyed back to my home, Laura decided to ride with me. Glad of that as we could have our heart to heart chat, which we often have. She finds it easier to talk to me than to her Dad, Michael. She remarked how techty he had become over the last 6 months, I thought it may have had something to do with his impending eye operation that is happening next Tuesday.

We arrived back and I took them all on a guided tour of the house. They all loved the house and complimented me on how lovely the place was. They loved the garden and Carol said the kitchen was ideal. Tea was made by Laura and we sat and chatted. Then it was 5pm and my guest made their way back to the car. Having had one hug from Laura she came back and gave a second hug plus a kiss, and whispered in my ear "Thank You". Made me blush.

Just a text to say they are home now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2520.jpg (134.8 KB, 30 views)

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2019, 16:21   #412
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Owned the house.............................

......................................... 3 months now. Where has that gone? Only seems like yesterday I started house hunting. And where has the 15 months gone since I left dear old Barkingside. Feels like I have been here ages. Still discovering things in the house, like found another 3 power points in the kitchen in cupboards, no idea what they are for but they are live.

Miss ole Redfive as my workhorse, Bear works fine but guzzles the gas too much. Went around to Debbies this morning to collect more hardcore expecting it to be in bags but it was all loose. We put about half in the car but that will be the last time. Spent 2 hours cleaning the inside out, dust everywhere. I’ll still take the hardcore but not in the Bear anymore.

I know it’s not perfect but I’ve managed to get my back gate on. The frame was already made. So I bought some hinges and a sliding bolt lock this morning. Got the frame lined up using a couple of bricks to hold it in place. Got both sets of hinges in place before I snapped the drill bit. Popped along to Screwfix and bought another 3, not realising their is two drills in each packet. Still you cannot have enough drill bits.
As for the centre section on the gate, I took the old trellis apart and screwed the two sections on to the frame. Not perfect I know but it will hopefully stops someone’s dog leaving me parcels.

Think it must be someone who lets their dog off of the lead and late at night. It’s only been happening in the last 10 days, so either someone new to the area or someone taking a different route. Still hopefully my barrier will stop it happening again.
Planted out some more bulbs, Lady of the night Tulips, Snow Crocus, Snowdrops,
Honey bells and Snakes Head Fritillary’s. Re-located 6 Gladioli to the front of the house. Re-sited some of the strawberry plants. Once the greenhouse is sorted then I’ll growing all sorts of stuff.

I phoned Michael to wish him well for his eye op today. He apologised for being a pain on our holiday up to Ledbury a few weeks ago. Transpires it was a serious problem at his workplace, some of the blame was put onto Michaels shoulders but he had done no wrong. Hopefully it’s all now sorted and he will be back to his old self.
Going up in a few weeks time, going to a surprise birthday party, the chap who’s birthday it is has just returned from living in Australia. He has lived there for over 60 years. Been back once, and that was the last time I saw him over 30 years ago.

We’ve kept in touch, birthdays, Xmas cards and suchlike plus the occasional phone call. We did try the ole webcam but I could never get it to work right. Still we got a laugh out of it.
I’m not sure why he has returned to the UK after all of these years but I expect I’ll hear all about it.

Well that’s me lot for now.

Thanks for reading and the kind comments.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:05   #413
Mark Murphy
Regular poster

Rover 75, and Mg zt 1.8T

I really enjoy reading your posts, i can't thank you yet, as i'm a newbie, But thank you.
Mark Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2019, 15:14   #414
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Murphy View Post
I really enjoy reading your posts, i can't thank you yet, as i'm a newbie, But thank you.
No problem. My life in story form always brings a smile to many a face. Glad you like it.

onen hag oll
Old 3rd September 2019, 17:34   #415
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool I only went for a haircut....................

.......................................... around Allen n Val’s house, ended up staying the day and learnt about welding from both Allen n Matt.
Still got my haircut from Debbie, who is a qualified hairdresser. She also cut her Mums hair and tidied up Allen’s.

Allen was having problems welding up his keel ballast plates. He has done one ok but was struggling with the second one. So Allen spoke to Matt who offered to come down and have a go at finishing off the welding.
So after the haircuts Debbie was taking Val shopping, just as they left so Matt turned up. I made Matt, Allen and myself a cuppa. My plan was to have my tea then leave and go home and paint my gate.

But it did not work out like that as I got to learn about welding. I have had a go at welding back in the year dot with the old oxygen and aceterlyn gas system. Could never get on with arc welding but the system that Matt and Allen were using fascinated me. Gas and wire is the best way to describe it. I know it has a technical name but it eludes me for now.
The keel ballast plates weigh in at about 2 cwt each. So having Matt there was a bonus for Allen.

As turning the plates was easier with two rather than Allen either struggling on his own. He does have a heavy engine hoist but it’s long winded in getting, and setting it up.
I watched why they fitted new and bottom plates. Heated and hammered into place. Then drilled and bolted to pull the new pieces into place. The under the lip plates bend in one direction and the top plate bends in another direction. Amazed at watching the clamps, heating, hammering, drilling, welding and bolting the plates together.
In between all this I was making the tea, holding the various drill bits, hanging onto the butane heating torch and sweeping up.

One of Allen’s friends popped in just as Allen was off to Screwfix to get two new 13mm drill bits. Then Val and Debbie came back. More tea? Oh! Go on then. Now on my 5th mug of tea. We chatted with Allen’s friend.
Soon Allen was back and the drilling could get started again. Debbie went off to see how the workmen were getting on at her bungalow. She had the plasterers, plumbers and electrician working today.
Allen’s friend left and Val announced that lunch was ready. I only came round for a haircut and now I was eating lunch and drinking more tea.

After lunch Allen and Matt went back to work whilst I helped Val to clear up. Val washed and I wiped. Soon everything was put away.
Now the reason that Allen was having trouble with the welding was due to the mask. It has a lightness/darkness adjustable window. Allen had somehow darkened the window, along with is tinted glasses it was too dark to see. But Matt had shown him what the problem was.

So with more tea being drunk whilst I watched the last bolt being tightened up. The wind had picked up and it was starting to turn a lot cooler so Allen called it a day. Matt has a hours drive home, and what with the kids back at school the traffic would be heavy.
I swept up whilst Allen and Matt put the welder and gas safely away. Tools and drills were stowed and it was time for Matt and I to leave. Takes me less than 3 minutes to drive home. Takes longer to park up.

(I should point out that the welder and mask belonged to Matt which Allen was borrowing).

Many thanks for reading and the kind comments.

onen hag oll
Old 3rd September 2019, 19:02   #416
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

May Peace and Love go with you now from now to times end Bob
Old 12th September 2019, 19:04   #417
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Got a lovely compliment.............

............................... from two neighbours from the cul-de-sac across the road from me. Said that they both love how I have turned the back garden to an area of bursting colours. They often stop and have a peek in, well they did until I put the gate on. Now they have to look through the gate.
I said they could always open the gate and look in but they no to that, privacy is important they said.

Everyone that walks past, obviously I have to be outside to hear, all say hello. Whether they walking the dog or taking the kids to school. A very friendly bunch around here.
No-one has moved in next door yet. Nor have I seen anyone around to view it either, although I’m not looking out the window all the time.
Got the chap coming back next Thursday to fit my Venetian blinds, so I’ll see less.

Once home, I’m off my travels tomorrow, the next big job I need to get done is getting the bath taken out and a shower cubicle put in. Getting harder and harder to climb over the side of the bath plus there are no handles to hold onto.
Nothing wrong with the rest of the bathroom though. Other than that not much needs to be done.

Oh! Well back to watching the box. Early night to night.

onen hag oll
Old 22nd September 2019, 16:03   #418
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Been here 106 days now..................

....................................... and cooking my first proper roast dinner. Peeled and par boiled the spuds, prepared the joint of pork with some salt on the fat to make some cracklings although I’m not a great fan of it and peeled the sprouts. Gravy to add and then it’s nose bag time. Dessert is an apple and all washed down with some cranberry juice and tonic.

Glyn came on Thursday to fit my Venetian blinds, 2 in the lounge, 1 in the kitchen, 1 on the upstairs landing and 1 each in the two spare bedrooms. Although the blinds fitted OK the finishing plinths did not. Only one was the correct size the rest were too short. So he had to order the replacements. So he came back Saturday and fitted all but one, again the wrong size. So have to wait for the last one to be fitted.

Figured out that the walls in the dining room, inside, were plasterboard and not brick as I first thought. So now I have managed to get more pictures up, mainly Banana’s awards. Also put up my smoke alarm in the lounge.
Up in the second bedroom I have now put on the window ledge my 1/12th scale Jaguar XJ220 collection, 7 cars and all in custom built display cases.
Moved one of the 1/8th scale Lamborghinis out and onto the widow ledge on the landing. Looks the part sitting there.
Allen is going to come round and put my wooden surround mirror up, needs to be straight and not crooked.

The gardens are all sorted out, done the weeding in the week. Grass is also cut, and the triffid in the greenhouse has been watered.
Garage needs sorting out, need to get the rocks out to start building my rock garden.
Bought a steam cleaner last Saturday and now we really clean floors, never realised how grubby they were. The mop has an attachment that allows you to clean carpets, will give this a try on my rug first making sure I get it right.
After all the breakdown sagas from last weekend I treated Banana to clean inside and out.

Washed the Loud One as well. She goes into the garage on Tuesday to have a rattle sorted out. But she is still running sweet, nearly on 62k miles. Needs claying at some point, will get this done before the bad weather sets in.

That’s it for now as dinner is nearly ready.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 22nd September 2019 at 16:54.. Reason: Spellin’
Old 8th October 2019, 09:45   #419
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool 4 months today we.....................

..................................... Have been our New home, and I’m still loving it. Have cooked a few more roast dinners, getting the experience back on track. Mainly as I have very special visitors coming down on the 20th and I know they like a decent roast. Need to perfect my Yorkshire puddings though, so far total collapse or so crisp I could have used the sides as paint scrapers.

House is nigh on perfect now, just a few jobs to do just need to pluck up the courage to do a bit of drilling into the brickwork. Need to get my key safe put up on the outside somewhere. Had a plumber come in to have a look at taking the bath out and a shower cubicle put in, that was a fortnight ago.
Got the Venetian blinds up but still waiting on the plinth to be fitted on the last window, have left a couple of messages, but no reply yet. I’ll give him till Friday then I’ll have to phone head office and speak to them.

The gardens are all looking good, bought a couple of hanging baskets but I need a higher ladder to get them up on the hooks above the window. Got them hanging on the bird feeder at the moment. Had to tie the bird feeder to the gate post to give it a bit more stability. The gate is still working ok, although it has dropped a wee bit.
The triffid in the greenhouse is huge but still growing, waiting for the courgettes to grow.
Garage still needs sorting out, hoping to start on that tomorrow if the rain holds off.

That is the disadvantage of living at the top of the hill ‘cos the rain hits you hard, and as for the wind...............
Lovely views across the valley when the sun is shining. On a good day I can see right across to Anthony House on the outskirts of Torpoint. On a bad day I’m lucky to see the houses down the street.

Both cars have visited the garage up at Treulefoot, Banana got there under her own power with the AA and Allen following. She has had the fuel pump relay and crankshaft sensor replaced. The Bear rattled her way up there to have her drop links replaced. We now have quiet Bear, well till I put my foot down.
We’ve had few successful meets which I put together, got a new member along the way as well.
I was going to “work” on the clubs stand at the NEC this year but having had the experience for four visits now I decided not to attend this year, one of the Green Team has taken over my hotel booking. Great fun but very, very tiring.

My friends that are coming down on the 20th are also bringing their dog. She is a failed police dog originally named Petal, but she now has the name of Sapphire. I’ve looked after her a few times when I lived up in Essex. So obedient but docile. She guards my friends son with her life, he pulls her about but she takes no notice. If their son is tired he will lay down with her and they snore together.
So looking forward to them coming down from Kent in their LR Freelander.
Whilst they are here they will be celebrating their 13th wedding anniversary.
So some falling down water is needed, so I’m off to the Cider Farm to get stocked up.

So other than that I’m still very happy to have made the decision to live here in Saltash.
So No Going Back.........................

Will get some photo’s posted up over the next a few days.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 8th October 2019 at 09:48.. Reason: Spellin’
Old 27th October 2019, 14:42   #420
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool The things you take for granted.............

...................................... when you live on your own till visitors turn up, then you have to remember to lock the bathroom door.

My good friends from Kent arrived last Sunday, 20th. John, Lisa and their 5 year old son plus the dog. I was not sure how I would cope with a 5 year old staying with me. The dog would be fine, she has stayed with me before. My neighbour, Gerry, across the road is away on holiday so he said that my friends could leave their L/R Freelander on the drive. Looks like someone is home then.

I had prepared a chicken casserole before I went out on Sunday morning, I took the Bear to the MGOC breakfast meet at the Trevaskis Farm Restaurant. So food would be sorted for when they arrived. I got home at 13.30 and they arrived at 14.00. They had a clear run from just outside Dartford, Kent in England.
I had borrowed a camp bed from Allen so that I had a bed. John & Lisa we’re sharing my bedroom, John Louis was on my spare bed in the 2nd bedroom. That left me sleeping in the dining room.
But Lisa said that the camp bed should be in their room for John Louis to sleep on. OK by me if they was sure, that way I could sleep on the Z bed in the 2nd bedroom.

Once the beds were sorted out and they had unpacked we had dinner. Sapphire the failed Police Dog had her own bed. They had brought her food but forgot the water bowl. That was soon sorted with a large plastic tub I found in the cupboard. Love this dog, so obedient. Once we had washed up Lisa took John Louis upstairs for a shower, then teeth to be cleaned then PJ’s on. Back down he came to say goodnight to us. Dad went back up with him to tuck him in, I had a spare night light for them to plug in.
I opened the back door and let Sapphire out into the garden for a sniff and a wee.

Out came the falling down water, I had been to the Cider Farm and bought some Apple juice. Plus I had been collecting various Gin’s for Lisa to try. And a couple bottles of single malt. And they had brought wine, so that was Sunday night sorted.
It ended with me collapsing on my bed, which I broke. But I slept well. Never heard a thing till my phone went off at 06.00, it would appear that I had set my alarm. But I have no recollection.

This was how the evenings went on till Thursday. Days were spent out and about.
Monday we took the Bear, without Sapphire, to Looe. If you have never been it is well worth a visit. This was how John and Lisa had thought the traditional Cornish village should look. Monday evening we ate at Louis tea rooms up on Kitt Hill. Allen and Val joined us as well. Then after food we took my visitors to the top of Kitt Hill to see Cornwall and Devon laid out in front of us.

Tuesday was John & Lisa’s 14th wedding anniversary. I had booked the table at the Lewinick Lodge on Pentire Head near Newquay.
I had also planned a wee surprise for John Louis, who is Supermarine Spitfire mad.
There is a replica Spitfire parked in a front garden of a bungalow at the end of the runway area of St.Mawgan. It’s on YouTube should you wish to look it up.
This particular plane was a “extra” in the making of the film Battle of Britain. Was the only extra not to get blown up.

The visit to the Spitfire went off ok. John Louis was gobsmacked to see the plane.
Banana was on duty today, she had her photo taken by some tourists along with the Spitfire.
The meal at the Lewinick Lodge was fabulous. The food was amazing. I was driving to soft drink for me. But the happy couple had a couple bottles of wine.
Once the meal was over we repaired to the veranda overlooking the sea. John and Lisa finished of the wine. Then the three of them posed for photo’s taken by me.

Next visit was a trip to the cider farm, Healys. This is part of the Donald Healey family. So in the entrance of reception is 4 Healey cars. 2 Austin Sprites, 1 Austin Healey 3000 and a Healey Silverstone. All taxed and insured.
Banana was loaded up with more falling down water for my visitors to take home plus a few jars of chutney.

To be continued..................

But thanks for reading.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 27th October 2019 at 16:17.. Reason: Paragraph spacing