Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th August 2019, 18:43   #21
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Constraints which again means car consumers pay much more for their motoring than need be. Not to mention the waste and the harm to the environment as a result of such constraints.
Yes - the environmental cost of our throw away society where cars are scrapped well before their real sell by date, is huge.

The environmental cost of producing a car, shipping it round the world rather than maintaining what we already have is hardly ever mentioned.
Old 16th August 2019, 20:42   #22
SCP440
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 260

An average car needs to do at least 80k miles just to equal the amount of energy it takes to make it.

This is often left out when the ''Greens'' get involved about pollution. The greenest cars are the ones that last 20 or more years with little more than basic maintenance.

Cars are always picked on but in truth there are a lot of worse polluters that rarely get a mention, what about the 3000 Civil airlines in the air at any time in the air burning 10,000 gallons of fuel per minute or all the cruise ships and freighters burning 1000's of gallons of diesel with no filters around the oceans of the world?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SCP440 For This Useful Post:
Old 16th August 2019, 21:29   #23
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
An average car needs to do at least 80k miles just to equal the amount of energy it takes to make it.

This is often left out when the ''Greens'' get involved about pollution. The greenest cars are the ones that last 20 or more years with little more than basic maintenance.

Cars are always picked on but in truth there are a lot of worse polluters that rarely get a mention, what about the 3000 Civil airlines in the air at any time in the air burning 10,000 gallons of fuel per minute or all the cruise ships and freighters burning 1000's of gallons of diesel with no filters around the oceans of the world?
So very true. Plus other harmful environmental effects in production. What doesn't help either is our know-it-all media see it as an indicator of National decline when new car registrations are down as consumers ... consume less. Then pull up some little girl on a worldwide tour on "Green Issues" in the next news item. Talk about looking both ways at the same time.

Yeah but, the greens need their long haul flights and cruises too.

Get these old cars off the roads sharpish. We need to rape the finite resources of our over loaded planet for battery production to power the electric cars which do not pollute directly, but do so in many other harmful ways not least by the need to generate electricity to charge those massively expensive batteries. Additionally, mining cobalt and other stuff required for massive batteries are often in countries with very poor human rights issues so beloved of the Greens and leftward leaning with even permanent harm to precious forests in the process.

Yes, UK car users are always the prime target by the greens and rightly so ..... according to them. When the real and more extensive harmful impact on the environment lies elsewhere at many levels and in all directions even directly overhead.

Twenty years ago, ex-purt opinion and advice about the "Diesel Good, Petrol Bad" for the environment scenario mainly from vested interest outside the UK saw a clueless knee-jerk Government keen to be seen doing the "Right Green Thing" formulate unfair taxes based on those advices WITHOUT ever questioning them. The only surprising thing about that harmful scenario was just how long it took that bovine excrement to hit the media and Westminster fans. Those involved with those decisions should be made to stand behind their diesel vehicles during the emissions part of their MOT test ideally taking deep breaths. Whilst so doing. Then asks themselves how the hell any ever pass those tests but, they do. Have any of them redressed that harmful imbalance? Have they hell!

Not fit for purpose and still ongoing.

Having said all that, I bet I have planted more trees over the past thirty odd years than any of the Green types... including Caroline Lucas. All female cabinet indeed... sorted. Clueless in excess.

It has to be made to make sense... with emphasis on MADE in GB
MGJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 21:48   #24
SCP440
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 260

A couple of years ago we went to stay with some relies in the US, one night there daughter offered to take us out for a Mexican at there favourite restaurant. They picked us up in the Dodge Pickup ( 5.7 litre ) and we drove for 1.5 hours to a place in the middle of now where, yes the food was good and then they took us back. We had done over 200 miles and probably used 10 gallons of fuel or more. I asked ''do they go there often'' and I was told '' no more than once a week . I know fuel is cheap over there but if they are burning it at that rate we can sleep easy.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 21:50   #25
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
So very true. Plus other harmful environmental effects in production. What doesn't help either is our know-it-all media see it as an indicator of National decline when new car registrations are down as consumers ... consume less. Then pull up some little girl on a worldwide tour on "Green Issues" in the next news item. Talk about looking both ways at the same time.

Yeah but, the greens need their long haul flights and cruises too.

Get these old cars off the roads sharpish. We need to rape the finite resources of our over loaded planet for battery production to power the electric cars which do not pollute directly, but do so in many other harmful ways not least by the need to generate electricity to charge those massively expensive batteries. Additionally, mining cobalt and other stuff required for massive batteries are often in countries with very poor human rights issues so beloved of the Greens and leftward leaning with even permanent harm to precious forests in the process.

Yes, UK car users are always the prime target by the greens and rightly so ..... according to them. When the real and more extensive harmful impact on the environment lies elsewhere at many levels and in all directions even directly overhead.

Twenty years ago, ex-purt opinion and advice about the "Diesel Good, Petrol Bad" for the environment scenario mainly from vested interest outside the UK saw a clueless knee-jerk Government keen to be seen doing the "Right Green Thing" formulate unfair taxes based on those advices WITHOUT ever questioning them. The only surprising thing about that harmful scenario was just how long it took that bovine excrement to hit the media and Westminster fans. Those involved with those decisions should be made to stand behind their diesel vehicles during the emissions part of their MOT test ideally taking deep breaths. Whilst so doing. Then asks themselves how the hell any ever pass those tests but, they do. Have any of them redressed that harmful imbalance? Have they hell!

Not fit for purpose and still ongoing.

Having said all that, I bet I have planted more trees over the past thirty odd years than any of the Green types... including Caroline Lucas. All female cabinet indeed... sorted. Clueless in excess.
Oh goodness John! - don’t get me started on Caroline Lucas !!!

I have never heard someone talk such spherical objects with such conviction. It does not happen so much now as she has been caught out - but at one stage she was introduced as Dr Caroline Lucas - “expert in Climate Change/Global Warming.

Having heard her speak decades ago I came away with the distinct impression that whatever she had a PhD in - it was not a science subject.

And I was correct - she does have a PhD from Exeter University. It’s title is :-

“Writing for women: A study of women as reader in Elizabethan romance.”

Make of that what you will.....
Old 16th August 2019, 21:57   #26
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
A couple of years ago we went to stay with some relies in the US, one night there daughter offered to take us out for a Mexican at there favourite restaurant. They picked us up in the Dodge Pickup ( 5.7 litre ) and we drove for 1.5 hours to a place in the middle of now where, yes the food was good and then they took us back. We had done over 200 miles and probably used 10 gallons of fuel or more. I asked ''do they go there often'' and I was told '' no more than once a week . I know fuel is cheap over there but if they are burning it at that rate we can sleep easy.
And the cost to them as a percentage of income is probably about the same as a local trip to Asda/Morrisons/Sainsbury’s/Lidl’s etc etc...is to us.

Mind you - their chicken is chlorinated...........
Old 16th August 2019, 22:54   #27
wraymond
occidit omnmes emojis

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Ms Lucas is the one and only Green party MP in the House of Commons (that alone possibly indicates the support in the country for 'Green' issues). That’s one, out of 650.

You could say her influence and standing in the House as a result is minimal, but in fact she is supported far and wide largely because she champions the cause of women and to rubbish her green credentials could be seen as an ad hominem attack, both on her and women in general. She is therefore sacred and can harangue all and sundry with her pseudo-science prophesies of doom with impunity. Some Joan of Arc.

Ms Lucas has now proposed an all-women party to sort out her parliamentary colleagues’ apparent taste for continued strife. Another Joan complex. That is surely discrimination?

She also ignores the fact that most of this ‘Green’ and pleasant land is given over to agriculture in general and farming in particular. If she actually believes her doctrine that the release of Carbon into the atmosphere causes the catastrophe she is terrified of, does she know just how much is released in the course of ploughing a field? Of digging the earth? In fact it is far more than is saved by wind farms. Personally she is pleasant, funny and bright and good to be with. But heaven save us from these zealots.
Old 16th August 2019, 23:30   #28
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Indeed - and having realised that REAL credentials are important - and acknowledging that most of them don’t have any, then the zealots pick someone that would - in most peoples eyes be “untouchable”.

That person is currently making a far more dangerous trip across the Atlantic in a sail boat rather than use the considerably safer air journey. This person is 16 and has special needs.

I feel sorry for her having parents that want to use her like this.

Presumably - her “sacrifice” of her own safety will buy enough credits that the Supersessionism, or replacement theology, such that the priesthood of this new religion can continue to hold its bun fight parties all over the world and the attendees can continue to fly around the world with impunity......

I post this in the knowledge that some of the zealots may now go apoplectic and make all sorts of vile accusations - it’s what they do to protect their beliefs.

No discussion or dissent can be tolerated.
Old 16th August 2019, 23:37   #29
impvan
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Location: In the trees, near Caernarfon... and frequently Aberdeenshire, and sometimes Romania..

Quote:
Mind you - their chicken is chlorinated...........

Given the endemic problems we have with Campylobacter and Salmonella with our UK chicken fleet, I actually don't mind if their various component parts get a bleachy wash...
impvan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to impvan For This Useful Post:
Old 16th August 2019, 23:45   #30
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by impvan View Post
Given the endemic problems we have with Campylobacter and Salmonella with our UK chicken fleet, I actually don't mind if their various component parts get a bleachy wash...
How about that impvan! Me too.

Note how our media always look for the negative slant on most things USA related in recent years, particularly during the period of their favourite President who occasionally plays a Trump Card.. with good effect.

The BBC really have warmed to him... .... They are so worth it..

It has to be made to make sense... with emphasis on MADE in GB
MGJohn is offline   Reply With Quote