Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th June 2019, 12:00   #1
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default Michelin camper van tyres failure

A friend of mine has had an MOT failure due to his (expensive) Michelin camper van tyres failing after just 2000 miles - bulging. Anyone had similar experiences?
Old 20th June 2019, 14:12   #2
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Were the Michelins the correct ply rating? Caravan tyres are almost invariably a higher rating (often 6 ply) than normal car tyres, and I assume the same applies to motorhomes. If someone has fitted normal car tyres to the motorhome, they would struggle to cope with the extra weight and that could well lead to sidewall problems.

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 14:45   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
A friend of mine has had an MOT failure due to his (expensive) Michelin camper van tyres failing after just 2000 miles - bulging. Anyone had similar experiences?
I dont have an answer but this got me thinking of questions.

2000 miles, over what period of time? Could the bulging have come from standing for a year or two? (although a bulge normally starts from weakness either externally or from construction)

Are camper van tyres the same as van tyres, if not would van tyres be harder wearing - asking more from curiosity.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 16:11   #4
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

How old is the tyre and has it been left standing, tyres don't like being static. If its only a couple of years old I would get on to Michelin and complain The only time I have ever had a problem with a Michelin tyre is when I dropped into a rut with my Land Rover crushing the sidewall on a rock which then showed up as a bulge. With Michelins I have never had a problem with the tyres themselves only problems of my making.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 18:59   #5
Madderz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

if it's a big motor-home (read a 4.5 tonner) they might not have been suitable in the first place
Madderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 19:29   #6
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madderz View Post
if it's a big motor-home (read a 4.5 tonner) they might not have been suitable in the first place
Since posting I've just heard that Michelin have admitted the fault and agreed to pay - less 2000 milesworth of wear. Bit mean I thought. Apparently these tyres are specifically designed for motor homes in that they expect they will be standing still for some time. And they cost £150 EACH!
Old 20th June 2019, 19:30   #7
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Seen it loads of times, normally on one side where the driver has been "kerbing" them.

Failed a 16 plate today due to both offside tyres having huge bulges and they corresponded exactly with the only rim damage on the wheels.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2019, 12:39   #8
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Slightly different but tyre related. Tomorrow I am changing my 4500 mile old with 6mm front and 7mm rear tread left on Avon ZV7s. All have cracked between the treads and are to be returned to Avon under their 6 year warrantee.

Avon have acknowledged that it is a problem they are aware off and is caused by the EU stopping tyre manufacturers using certain products in the compounds. This is causing the tyres to loose elasticity and crack. They told me that they "think" they have resolved it but will not know for 2/3 years when the problem shows up. However they said as the tyres are guaranteed for 6 years replacements are covered less any wear. So its not so much a problem with mid to high mileages but lower use second cars etc.

Because of their not being 100% I've opted to go for Kumho ES31, rated B grip and B fuel economy against A grip and E fuel on the Avons for a similar price. The tyres were purchased within 3 weeks from two retailers, one has already paid out for them, the others will pay out a refund once they have been sent back to Avon and assessed.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2019, 14:06   #9
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSun View Post
Slightly different but tyre related. Tomorrow I am changing my 4500 mile old with 6mm front and 7mm rear tread left on Avon ZV7s. All have cracked between the treads and are to be returned to Avon under their 6 year warrantee.

Avon have acknowledged that it is a problem they are aware off and is caused by the EU stopping tyre manufacturers using certain products in the compounds. This is causing the tyres to loose elasticity and crack. They told me that they "think" they have resolved it but will not know for 2/3 years when the problem shows up. However they said as the tyres are guaranteed for 6 years replacements are covered less any wear. So its not so much a problem with mid to high mileages but lower use second cars etc.

Because of their not being 100% I've opted to go for Kumho ES31, rated B grip and B fuel economy against A grip and E fuel on the Avons for a similar price. The tyres were purchased within 3 weeks from two retailers, one has already paid out for them, the others will pay out a refund once they have been sent back to Avon and assessed.
So, this is presumably why Michelins are suffering from the same problem. This is the last summer for my Michelin Primacys because of the same cracking. Our new 75 has Nokian tires, which I have read do the same cracking thing. Maybe it is time to buy Yokohama, Kumho, Sumitomo, Toyo, etc, Japanese or Korean tires for the next while until the EU manufacturers fix what broke.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote