Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th March 2012, 16:13   #81
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis View Post
What made you think that the front needed a fixed resistor to maintain the circuit Harry? Did you assume that the pots were in series or at least that something needed fitting in place of the front sensor to maintain the two-pot circuit.
From Monks comment it would appear that the front becomes redundant and you just tie back the protected connector. That means that those connections would be open circuit due to no completed path through the pot or any added fixed resistor.
It was just a qualified guess, based upon how I would expect it to work and how I personaly would have designed it to work.

I would guess that the two sensors would have independant inputs to the LSM and that the LSM would work out from the two inputs what height the lights needed to be set.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 16:48   #82
vitesse-chris
Gets stuck in

Megane RS F1 R26

Just to confuse things even more

I followed this guide to fix mine, a few days later I noticed that my lights were just pointing to the ground... checked the rear sensor all was fine, however the front clip had snapped and had come off, just to make sure that this what was causing it, I switched my lights on and then put the broken clip in its correct place, tie wraped it on too!, seconds later the lights went back to normall!

I am no expert mind!
vitesse-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 16:55   #83
The_Monk
I really should get out more.......

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse-chris View Post

I followed this guide to fix mine, a few days later I noticed that my lights were just pointing to the ground... checked the rear sensor all was fine, however the front clip had snapped and had come off, just to make sure that this what was causing it, I switched my lights on and then put the broken clip in its correct place, tie wraped it on too!, seconds later the lights went back to normall!

I am no expert mind!
Doesn't really confuse anything, with th broken clip the car thought it was sitting nose up because of the arm position on the sensor. Therefore pointed the lights down.
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 20:27   #84
Ched

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

So, to get this right ,these levellers were only fitted to cars with xenons?
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 20:43   #85
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
So, to get this right ,these levellers were only fitted to cars with xenons?
Yes, the xenon/HID's are legally required to be auto-levelling. A manual levelling system was installed on other lighting systems.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 20:50   #86
Ched

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Thanks Harry, the reason I asked was /is I too have the levellers in place,I took them apart today and greased it all up but...I dont have xenons.
Yesterday I removed the front bumper and replaced the headlamp washer pump.
I noticed the bumper was originally trophy blue but repainted in zircon silver, my o/s headlamp is black inside and the ns has a chrome inner, so it would look as tho' the car has had a bump at some stage and the owner could not afford the price of replacement xenons.
And I have just been out to check in the dark my lights are now levelling.

Last edited by Ched; 12th March 2012 at 20:54..
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 19:59   #87
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

The part number for the arm and new balls means I have just wasted my time cleaning and greasing my balls

Oh well saved £8

When overhauling these things take a look at the bracket
both mine have had the Phosphoric acid treatment this week prior to repainting to remove the rust neither had any paint left and the front one is not that thick.

Here is a batch after 24 hours in 45% acid before washing them off.

Also each sensor has an aluminium insert where the Allen screws go to bolt them on

These disintegrate with road salt.
Well worth giving them a look occasionally and apply grease or some other protection, my rear one was at the the point of falling off

I have drilled out the corroded insert and araldited headless bolts in place instead. An easy fix and for mine, done just before the expansion of the alloy destroyed the plastic surround which it will do.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 22:49   #88
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Hello Keith, welcome back!

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 22:58   #89
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse-chris View Post

I am no expert mind!
Just bring this forward i presume you mean the alloy clip fixed to the wishbone arm mine to broke later i made one up from some alloy i had alos when Dominic came to mine to have his lower engine mount changed we noticed his too had broken we made one up from the metal slot you use in the back of computers, ideal for the job with a bit of work.

few pics of how i shaped the metal clip

What was left of the old bracket clip.

piece from the PC sides filed to fit the gap in the wishbone

Formed and bent round the arm with finger presure only

clip under the arm first then push on

Fits nice and snug hole pre-drilled with size to fit sensor arm bolt

The view under the arm a bit springy

small pilot hole drilled and self taper fixes it tight never to move

Fitted and ready to go

Close up of finished clip after removal to use as a template

Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 23:41   #90
damienp
This is my second home

skoda estate

Arctic - i gave that method a try, but i got fed up because every time i tried to shape the new metal strip, it would bend out of shape somewhere along the line. And when i rebent it back to the shape i wanted, it would snap due to metal fatigue. Grrrrr
To vitesse Chris - How did you strap the the clip/sensor down using a tie wrap? It's something i've done, but i made a small braket to fit over the wishbone first, then i cut a slit into the braket to allow the tiewrap to fit through, then i pulled it tight to the wishbone.
damienp is offline   Reply With Quote