Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd February 2020, 14:38   #301
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Now I have my “Boris pass “ I try not to use the car for anywhere the parking is difficult. On Wednesday I went to a local town centre about 20 minutes drive away. It took me over 2 hours on the buses - had to change once then every one got turfed off the second as the driver had been instructed to terminate his destination to even out the arrival times.

Oh well, at least it’s free !
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 14:44   #302
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Coventry want you to trade in your old car for £1500-£3000 scrappage money but it will come in 'Mobility credits' towards public transport, taxis or a new bike, not another vehicle https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton...t#2093d2d42042

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2020, 18:36   #303
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Newcastle city council have just admitted that a third of it's charging points are not working , one has been broken for TWO years , so much for the council promoting a carbon neutral future
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2020, 18:54   #304
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Tyres will be the next thing to be banned! EV's don't come out very well because of their weight.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2020, 13:02   #305
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstrover View Post
Newcastle city council have just admitted that a third of it's charging points are not working , one has been broken for TWO years , so much for the council promoting a carbon neutral future

Just a quick point - There is nothing inherently carbon neutral about EV vehicles. The power used to charge may be carbon neutral or it may not. Certainly the manufacture and shipping isn't (although a small percentage may be).

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2020, 17:14   #306
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Had a chap promoting electric charge points last night at the Council of which I am a member. A couple of interesting points emerged:-
Firstly , at the end of his promotion he asked if the talk had clarified any issues, and the response (nearly unanimous) was that most did not want an EV. He did not seem surprised!
Secondly the question of grid capacity was raised, and he maintained that there is currently sufficient capacity - because not everybody would be charging at the same time. However, a home charge point has to be a slow charger, taking 13 hours. He then conceded that at times like half time at a TV screened football match when everyone puts the kettle on, the grid would only cope because the power to the home charge points would be controlled - i.e. switched off, or to a lower level. Nobody has ever mentioned that before, so when you go to work the next day you won't be fully charged!
coolguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2020, 20:57   #307
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
Had a chap promoting electric charge points last night at the Council of which I am a member. A couple of interesting points emerged:-
Firstly , at the end of his promotion he asked if the talk had clarified any issues, and the response (nearly unanimous) was that most did not want an EV. He did not seem surprised!
Secondly the question of grid capacity was raised, and he maintained that there is currently sufficient capacity - because not everybody would be charging at the same time. However, a home charge point has to be a slow charger, taking 13 hours. He then conceded that at times like half time at a TV screened football match when everyone puts the kettle on, the grid would only cope because the power to the home charge points would be controlled - i.e. switched off, or to a lower level. Nobody has ever mentioned that before, so when you go to work the next day you won't be fully charged!
Your last sentence.----You probably wouldn't get there either.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2020, 23:25   #308
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Well having just placed an order for an electric car (MG ZS EV) you can probably guess which side of the fence I'm on!

I'm very much a petrolhead and always anticipate having a petrol car or 2 however electric is the future. I'm also not an ecomentalist by any stretch of the imagination we've gone for the EV purely on its merits as an actual car rather then for some ideological nonsense.

On that note EV's are very nice to drive. As a powertrain you get loads of instant torque which makes pulling out of junctions etc a doddle and they are so smooth compared to even the best combustion engines. There is the obvious range issue however most people don't tend to drive that far on a daily basis and fast chargers are now springing up everywhere.

For us the biggest factor in making the change is the cost savings. Mrs Guru currently drives 60 miles per day and tends to put around £55-60 worth of fuel in an week plus at the weekends we use probably around £20 of fuel in my car. Using a super cheap overnight tarif and taking advantage of the free charging points provided by Norfolk county council we should see that drop to around £5 a week in electricity, possibly saving £70 a week in fuel alone.

We'll be using one of our other cars for long distances although we'll probably take the ZS EV on the Norwich to Bath run to see that family as there's plenty of 50kw fast chargers en-route and having 2 children we tend to make a couple of half hour stops anyway so it won't really be much of an inconvenience.
Old 3rd March 2020, 23:50   #309
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

But for how long will councils be providing free charging points ?
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2020, 00:25   #310
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Very aware that the council won't provide free power forever however might as well take advantage whilst they do! We only park in the city 2 or 3 times a month but the plan is to make sure the car is as low as possible when we do

As for tax, of course the government will have to change the way it charges when most cars are electric and I suspect a per mile 'toll' on road use will be the way they do that as obviously the 'fuel' can't be taxed heavily without hurting everyone.

In the long term I think the days of mass car ownership are numbered. It won't be too long before most people simply call for an autonomous car which will come to their door and take them wherever they want to go. Given that most cars spend a huge majority of their time doing precisely nothing this does make a lot of sense and of course it'll get a lot of less-than-great drivers off the road, probably the type of people who don't really enjoy driving anyway and would rather not be doing it anyway.

Of course there will always be us car nuts who will own and run their own cars and no matter what happens to mass transit that's not likely to change.