Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th March 2023, 21:28   #11
Steeleyscoot
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Tom mentioned the foam in the sills of the R75 when I chatted to him the other day about sill replacement. His view is the foam holds moisture/damp and aids the rot. When he fits/repairs sills he recommends the foam is removed all together.
Steeleyscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2023, 23:00   #12
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I don't recall any of the ones I've had containing foam inside the sills, and I've had the stainless strips off and flex probes down every hole. That foam thing used to be in some Jags - from memory they put it in the front crossmember to improve NVH but the drainage was at best marginal - so perhaps he is thinking of those?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
My 03 zt had a foam barrier just in front of the rear jacking point, found it after cutting the old sill off.
It was rock hard and was surprisingly stuck in place after all these years.

Stan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I'm pretty sure there are foam blocks adjacent to each jacking point . I have read somewhere they were put in to damp vibration and deaden noise , and apparently stop you spraying underseal etc along the full length of the sill .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeleyscoot View Post
Tom mentioned the foam in the sills of the R75 when I chatted to him the other day about sill replacement. His view is the foam holds moisture/damp and aids the rot. When he fits/repairs sills he recommends the foam is removed all together.
Hi Guys.
yes foam barrier next to jacking points in the sills, which can be seen in the thread below photo 3
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...6&postcount=24

And marked out with the dots in the same photo i have added.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2023, 07:29   #13
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Every day's a school day then! I will soon be doing pretty much the entire length of the nearside on my dark blue saloon soon and the backs of Connie SE. As they're both Cowley cars at least painting them will be straightforward.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2023, 17:18   #14
Southern Star
Loves to post

Rover 75 CTDi Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Every day's a school day then! I will soon be doing pretty much the entire length of the nearside on my dark blue saloon soon and the backs of Connie SE. As they're both Cowley cars at least painting them will be straightforward.
I have a Longbridge car and when I had my sill welded and needed to paint it (and the one on the other side to match, obviously), I decided the quick n' dirty fix was to disguise it as a Cowley car.

Purists might not approve but I prefer the look anyway, makes it look a bit less slab-sided I feel.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2023, 21:21   #15
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes as Steve says there are foam inserts but I've never had a problem when welding sills - a syringe or two filled with water emptied through the jacking point dampens them down.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2023, 12:13   #16
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Hi again and sorry for not replying straight away to all your great advice.
I'm starting thinl that the garage I took my car to didn't really want the job,but were too polite to just plainly say no. They told me that the last 75 they did was an absolute pig of a job as the sills were stuffed full of expanding foam which was put there when manufactured. Well I'm not the sharpest tool in the box granted but from recognition of reading online things I was pretty sure they wasn't and was wondering maybe the car they had was filled up by this stuff by the owner at some point.They said it was a huge fire hazard when welding it up.They where really negative and down beat instead of the usual upbeat attitudes I get towards my car and quoted me somewhere around £1000.
After being fed this depressing news for 30 minutes I was almost on the verge of selling the car on and cut my losses.
After speaking to Tom Hobs and various other people and garages there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel.Yes there is foam in the sills but only very small amounts as the picture above shows.My cars sill has coincidentally rotted through right next to that plastic/foam fillet that's in the picture and the rear jacking point is also looking like Swiss cheese.
I've found a local body shop that's been highly recommended and he's got me booked in for the end of April to weld a new complete outer sill for around £350 to 450 all depending on what's needed ( because you never know what's lurking behind it)
So hopefully my car will still live on ,as the passenger side sill still looks amazing.As my car is in constant use for work ect I am a little concerned that the awful weather will get behind the sill over the next few weeks so for now I will just put some gaffer tape over to hole too keep the snow and cow muck out.
All the very best,
Johnny.
Old 11th March 2023, 12:25   #17
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Manual Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
I've found a local body shop that's been highly recommended and he's got me booked in for the end of April to weld a new complete outer sill for around £350 to 450 all depending on what's needed ( because you never know what's lurking behind it)
So hopefully my car will still live on ,as the passenger side sill still looks amazing.As my car is in constant use for work ect I am a little concerned that the awful weather will get behind the sill over the next few weeks so for now I will just put some gaffer tape over to hole too keep the snow and cow muck out.
All the very best,
Johnny.

Hello Johnny,

Great to read your car is getting the sills fixed and the car is allowed another long journey. I read too many threads about scrapping a car as soon as a light bulb stops working.

Kudos to you and many happy miles!

Sjonnie

Rover 75 2.5 Manual MK2 MY 05 Starlight Silver - Miss March 2022 / Miss May 2023
MG F 1.8i MK2 MY 00 in Anthracite

MG ZT-T 190+ MK2 MY 05 Xpower Grey (sold) - Mr Cover page 2021
Dearly missed: ꝉ ꝉ MG ZT 190+ MK2 MY 04 in Black Olive #8/8 R.I.P. - Miss February 2016

Quote:
If it don't fit use a hammer
Sjonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2023, 14:17   #18
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjonnie View Post
Hello Johnny,

Great to read your car is getting the sills fixed and the car is allowed another long journey. I read too many threads about scrapping a car as soon as a light bulb stops working.

Kudos to you and many happy miles!
Totally agree about trying to save our cars - that why I bought a mig welder and the replacement panels and will attempt to carefully repair my rusty sills. No one round here does welding anymore, except the accident repair place that only does insurance work!! Good luck all with any fixes to keep these wonderful cars alive!
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2023, 15:57   #19
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi John. Glad you decided to get the sill repaired. If the rest of the car is ok, why get rid of it. Hope to see you again at one of our Nano Meets in our new venue.
Old 12th March 2023, 17:57   #20
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Hi David, Hope you're well buddy.
Where are the Nano meets held nowadays.
It would be nice see you again after all these years.