Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th February 2012, 10:11   #41
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzerk View Post
My theory is that since the vacuum generated for the brake system is done with a pump on the diesels and any pump should have a relief valve in it somewhere to prevent damage so, perhaps the sinking is when this valve is doing its job? It will not occur when the engine is not on since the vacuum pump is not working then?
That would mean SPP in petrol models is due to a completely different cause. Since all models exhibit exactly the same phenomenon (as you correctly describe) a common cause seems most likely. A vacuum pump doesn't require a relief system because the absolute maximum pressure differential possible is 15psi (1 atmosphere). Unlike the aircon compressor or the power steering pump, vacuum pumps only pump air at or below atmospheric pressure. In spite of the reports of SPP elimination after an ABS bleed, the evidence that it's caused by air in the module isn't very convincing (IMO). There would simply be no brakes if that were so. Since the Government department responsible for controlling the MOT test has reported that SPP is not a fail item (providing it only happens with engine running) then IMO, it's not an air issue and the effect has yet to be explained.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 10:17   #42
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglad View Post
Surely you can actuate the abs pump by proving a supply to the abs relay.
Logically, that's all the T4 can be doing.

TC
Old 10th February 2012, 10:23   #43
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

For anyone interested in this, here's the original discussion. It doesn't seem to have got any closer to an explanation (IMO) than it was at the time.

That Sinking Feeling: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=24916
Old 10th February 2012, 11:17   #44
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

When you operate the brakes there is a sudden pressure drop in the system generated by the then vacuum in the pump. After the first drop doesn't the pump carry on increasing the vacuum and cause the pedal to slowly drop further??

Colvert.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 19:15   #45
geofftl1000r
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon in Moonstone Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
When you operate the brakes there is a sudden pressure drop in the system generated by the then vacuum in the pump. After the first drop doesn't the pump carry on increasing the vacuum and cause the pedal to slowly drop further??

Colvert.
if the peddle is dropping, where is all that fluid going? is there a piston in the abs pump that is slowly moving?

My peddle was much firmer with an abs change, and master cylinder change. Last time I checked SPP was gone or very greatly reduced. It's been a few months so need to confirm once the snow goes...

"I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left"
geofftl1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 11:27   #46
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofftl1000r View Post
if the peddle is dropping, where is all that fluid going? is there a piston in the abs pump that is slowly moving?

My peddle was much firmer with an abs change, and master cylinder change. Last time I checked SPP was gone or very greatly reduced. It's been a few months so need to confirm once the snow goes...
I think that the amount of pedal drop we are talking about doesn't take much fluid. I think that it is that some components give slightly because the pressure is quite high.( ie. The casing on the servo for instance. ) And that gives the slight increase in pedal movement. Even though steel is very hard it still can flex under certain circumstances.
Old 12th June 2012, 18:45   #47
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

I use my Sealy sump pump regularly to bleed brakes and clutches never had a problem!!
Sucking it out from the bleed nipple end gets all the air out in one go WITHOUT pressing any pedals. One man job too.

Replaced an ABS modulator recently (so a full drain down)
Tried it without T4 (just as an experiment) and pedal rock solid afterwards

Jules motto
KIS Keep it simple

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 19:42   #48
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I think that the amount of pedal drop we are talking about doesn't take much fluid. I think that it is that some components give slightly because the pressure is quite high.( ie. The casing on the servo for instance. ) And that gives the slight increase in pedal movement. Even though steel is very hard it still can flex under certain circumstances.
I very much agree!

With engine off, vacuum exhausted your foot on the pedal generates very little hydraulic pressure compared to engine running - so the pedal has little movement and will feel very hard. That is alkways the test I use for air in the system following any work on the brakes.

Run the engine and the pressure rises dramatically, with the vehical stood, you will put much more pressure on the pedal than you would ever be likely to do on the road. On the road you barely tickle the brake pedal in normal use. Under extreme pressure things do give, like the flexible hoses the rigid pipes and etc.. Which is why the tuners replace the flexibles with the reinforced ones.

If the pedal goes down and doesn't stop before it hits the floor, then you have an issue.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 09:31   #49
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I very much agree!

With engine off, vacuum exhausted your foot on the pedal generates very little hydraulic pressure compared to engine running - so the pedal has little movement and will feel very hard. That is alkways the test I use for air in the system following any work on the brakes.

Run the engine and the pressure rises dramatically, with the vehical stood, you will put much more pressure on the pedal than you would ever be likely to do on the road. On the road you barely tickle the brake pedal in normal use. Under extreme pressure things do give, like the flexible hoses the rigid pipes and etc.. Which is why the tuners replace the flexibles with the reinforced ones.

If the pedal goes down and doesn't stop before it hits the floor, then you have an issue.
Harry, I think we've finally cracked it. SPS finally resolved.
Old 8th September 2012, 09:48   #50
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

I think I'd need some hard evidence to explain it. A theory that can be tested and demonstrated. It requires measurement of the actual pedal force, changes in pipe diameters, etc. When I first observed it, the pedal didn't require extreme force to sink. I still believe it's an electro-mechanical effect of road speed (zero), engine speed, hydraulic pressure, the ABS system, the ECUs and such things. SPP is observed across a wide spectrum of cars and is known to MOT testers. I can't see hose expansion being an acceptable effect of pressing too hard on the brakes. IMO, no individual could generate enough hydraulic pressure to expand the pipework to any significant extent. And significantly, SPP doesn't happen when the car's being driven. It would be a very hairy experience if it did. I think the jury's still out on this one.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 1st November 2015 at 17:25..