Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th March 2019, 18:53   #1
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Default Budget tyre review

I don't normally run budget tyres, in fact in the past I have fitted part worn premiums rather than have budget tyres on the car. This has been backed up by several budget tyres I've inherited on wheels or used cars which were usually frightening in the wet.

So after reading nothing but good reviews of a certain tyre and a chat with a few people who had them, I bought 4 Three-A P606's for the ZT-T. This was approx 13 months ago. Now I don't rag this car, it's a daily commuter car - a diesel auto so I don't drive it hard. It has however covered 16k miles wearing them in all sorts of conditions including snow last year when they were almost new. The tyres have been great, quiet, grippy even in the wet and have worn well. I've not measured but the fronts look like about 3-4mm left and the rears 5mm.

To compare, over the last few years I've had a couple of ZT's and a 75 wearing Conti's, Hancook, various budget tyres and Nexen 8000's. I'd have to say these are as good if not better than the Nexens.

MOT next month, then I'll be looking for another pair for the fronts so I hope they are still available

2001 Connie SE Raven Black, CDT - scrapped
2004 ZT-T+ XPG, 1.8T - sold
2002 ZT+ Biomorphic Supertallic #2 of 10, CDT - sold
2004 ZT-T+ Goodwood Aquamarine, CDT - sold
2004 BMW 320d
GordyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2019, 21:46   #2
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

If you aren't running them on the limit most people would be unlikely to notice a difference especially on a car with decent handling to begin with.

I do notice a difference in wear rate, my work car is leased and the lease company put the worst tyres they can find on, naturally on the back they are mixed, there's a Michelin from the factory on the back after 63,000 miles and the budget one on the other side has been changed twice
Old 8th March 2019, 21:59   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I've the same on the ZT, just because I couldn't justify forking out for a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 3 directly on the heels of a DMF, clutch, two upper rear arms and various other bits and bobs for the MOT.

Verdict, noisier than the Uniroyals, much much much worse in the wet, and I cannot wait until they wear out.

They may be £40 a corner, but you definitely get what you pay for, and when I fitted them, you should have seen the shape of the tyres rotating on the balancer

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2019, 22:24   #4
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Hi Brian, Got rainsport 3’s on my TT so I know how good they are! Not had the back end of the ZTT step out in the wet like it has before on Nexens, though my commute means I’m mostly sat in traffic these days when I’m it!! I don’t think they are as good as a premium tyre but work well for the money if you are motoring on a budget 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004 BMW 320d
Old 8th March 2019, 23:52   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I have always driven to what I believed were the limits of me, the car, tyres and brakes to the road conditions and the idiots around me (everyone is an idiot in the car - well that is how I treat them, it serves me well lol). With that, I have always fitted what I could afford at the time - read that as generally the cheaper end, but not always cheapest. The past few cars I have had have all had matching tyres thankfully, it makes for an easier time.

The last set I had on the ZT lasted very well, but would let go occasionally on wet cambered roundabouts if I went too fast, mainly understeering. These were Maxtrek and whilst quite stable in the wet, I had to watch for certain areas on my commute. At best I could describe these as adequate with caution. They were replaced with around 3-5 mm of tread last year after something like 24-27,000 miles.

The set I have changed to, around Sept. last year, are Zeta Alventi - sounds Italian, so lets say they are related to Pirelli . So far they have been great! They do not look as 'sporty' less square on the side wall, but they have not let go at all, when I have tried to make them. I probably could get them to go though, but I have driven harder than I did with my last set to see where their limits were, but am not stupid enough to take it further than I feel comfortable with, which is where I am at with them lol. So far, no understeer (at all!) very stable with the heavy rain/surface water we have had here recently, and the little ice we had, felt very secure. On one of the streets close to my house, the last set on a wet road, I could spin the wheels as it changed to second gear quite easily, these tyres dont, but being in a built up area, I am not prepared to find out when they would spin. They are also a little quieter too (even though the figures say they are not). So if they last 20k plus, I will call them my perfect tyre lol.

I am normally quite good to tyres, and get good mileage out of them, checking for irregular wear. I have had 25,000 miles from a set of remoulds in the past.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2019, 13:34   #6
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Three As

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyB View Post
I don't normally run budget tyres, in fact in the past I have fitted part worn premiums rather than have budget tyres on the car. This has been backed up by several budget tyres I've inherited on wheels or used cars which were usually frightening in the wet.

So after reading nothing but good reviews of a certain tyre and a chat with a few people who had them, I bought 4 Three-A P606's for the ZT-T. This was approx 13 months ago. Now I don't rag this car, it's a daily commuter car - a diesel auto so I don't drive it hard. It has however covered 16k miles wearing them in all sorts of conditions including snow last year when they were almost new. The tyres have been great, quiet, grippy even in the wet and have worn well. I've not measured but the fronts look like about 3-4mm left and the rears 5mm.

To compare, over the last few years I've had a couple of ZT's and a 75 wearing Conti's, Hancook, various budget tyres and Nexen 8000's. I'd have to say these are as good if not better than the Nexens.

MOT next month, then I'll be looking for another pair for the fronts so I hope they are still available

Our 1.8T running on Three As P606 and like you can't fault them.

Been a good purchase

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2019, 17:45   #7
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I've only ever bought budget tyres due to financial constrictions at the time and have had a few. They have always felt like a compromise. Some have been better than others, but none, and I mean none have matched the more expensive options. If I've paid £40 for a large low profile tyre I'm not going to moan when it shows its true colours in winter wet weather.

Through experience, I'd simply never ever buy cheapo tyres by choice, only by necessity. Sometimes for just a few pounds more there are better and safer choices out there if you do your homework.
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2019, 21:13   #8
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

As has been expressed by the posts above, you really do get what you pay for. Personally I would not buy what are called’budget’ tyres’ for the simple reason, I like to drive my car without having to think about conditions on the road. I don’t mean reckless or anywhere near it, but if it rains I don’t want to be driving like I am on egg shells.When I started out on my longish driving career, I bought cheapo remolds, and soon learnt my lesson, which has stopped me ever using low quality tyres. It’s not that much dearer to buy good tyres than the cheapo ones. Peace of mind in all circumstances I like, not having to ‘think’ for the tyres.
Old 9th March 2019, 21:29   #9
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

It looks like that they have the same budget v premium dilemma in Australia, too.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 11:39   #10
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Hi all, I think we are going off course here. I never said anything about budget tyres being as good as premium, just that not all budget tyres are the same and the Three-A are much much better than other budgets I’ve driven on, and are as good if not better than previous Nexens which used to be well liked on here. I’m not saying buy budgets at all but if you have to then consider these !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004 BMW 320d