Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st February 2018, 16:47   #1
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Default Possible slipped Timing Belt (1.8t)

How'do folks

I've mentioned this in a previous post (1.8t misfire)

I suspect the Timing Belt may have slipped on my 75

I may be wrong - however, this has me a bit concerned r.e other potential causes of my initial misfire - I don't want to run the engine at all now, so won't be trying new plugs/coils...

r.e a slipped belt - If a belt HAS slipped - is it possible to diagnose using the timing marks ?

I was thinking - if the belt has slipped - i'll be rotating the crankshaft in Vain as the marks won't line up - or would it simply be a set number of rotations of the crankshaft would guarantee a thorough check ? .... I'm not sure if that makes sense as to what my concern is.

my current thinking is - I have to just go ahead with a belt replacement - and hope there has been no damage caused - if there HAS - i'll find out after replacing the belt

what damage is likely to occur following a belt slipping and timing being off ?

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2018, 17:25   #2
philm
Loves to post

rover 75 tourer

Firstly i would check all timing marks line up as they should that way you can be sure everything is ok.
Then you can start to find the the cause of the misfire.
If the belt has slipped it could be drastic or you could be lucky & no damage at all
Old 21st February 2018, 17:33   #3
Al_B

ZT saloon

If you turn the engine so the front pulley mark lines up - the cam belt change one not the TDC one - then the lines across the cam pulleys should show if it's all in sync or not. I think a stock engine can be one tooth out without causing contact.

If there had been any piston/valve contact and a bent valve you'd have a misfire or uneven idle. Mine sounded like a Subaru flat four at tickover when I bent a valve.
Al_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2018, 19:55   #4
Shide
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T

Default Re belt

Take a look at my thread in the 'Tech help', 1.8 belt disaster to see what you are facing, good luck!
Shide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 23:11   #5
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

I pulled the top cover off earlier had a wee look - nothing much to report - other than maybe the tensioner seemed off it's mark - there was a maybe wee bit slack in the belt not too sure

I don't have a 22mm?? socket for the crank pulley - and it got a bit cold and dark - i'll acquire a 22mm socket and rotate the crank to check if the timing is off.

I'm of the feeling - i suspect it has slipped - so i should go ahead and replace the belt with timing/tension correct - fire up the car..........and see if any damage has been done from there.

what's the thinking on this ?

if any damage has been done it's already done - and i'll know right away

I think i will have occured some damage to the valves(?) as i heard sounds you don't want to hear - didn't run for long tho who knows i guess we'll see.

Paul.
Old 23rd February 2018, 02:35   #6
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
I pulled the top cover off earlier had a wee look - nothing much to report - other than maybe the tensioner seemed off it's mark - there was a maybe wee bit slack in the belt not too sure

I don't have a 22mm?? socket for the crank pulley - and it got a bit cold and dark - i'll acquire a 22mm socket and rotate the crank to check if the timing is off.

I'm of the feeling - i suspect it has slipped - so i should go ahead and replace the belt with timing/tension correct - fire up the car..........and see if any damage has been done from there.

what's the thinking on this ?

if any damage has been done it's already done - and i'll know right away

I think i will have occured some damage to the valves(?) as i heard sounds you don't want to hear - didn't run for long tho who knows i guess we'll see.

Paul.
Paul, don't change anything until you have verified by the marks that the belt has actually jumped. If it's not loose, jumping a tooth is much less likely.

Good luck,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2018, 03:15   #7
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
Paul, don't change anything until you have verified by the marks that the belt has actually jumped. If it's not loose, jumping a tooth is much less likely.

Good luck,
Glenn

i'm going to get a 22mm socket (sure that's the size - i'll confirm) so i can rotate the crank and check timing

I do think there was a bit excess slack and the tensioner was off it's mark - suggesting it's not tight enough.

Paul.
Old 23rd February 2018, 07:45   #8
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Isn't there a timing mark on the outside (plastic) cover? If so, you could check the timing without removing the bottom pulley.
EDIT. Re-read. I see that you are just using the socket to rotate the engine!

Last edited by roverbarmy; 23rd February 2018 at 07:51..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2018, 09:13   #9
philm
Loves to post

rover 75 tourer

You will have a small amount of slack in the longest section of the belt you could twist the belt about 45 degrees.
Good luck.
Old 23rd February 2018, 17:34   #10
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by philm View Post
You will have a small amount of slack in the longest section of the belt you could twist the belt about 45 degrees.
Good luck.

Is that WILL have or SHOULD have ? i.e - should a properly tensioned belt have 45degrees of twist ?

I'm no further forward today - other than i've been preparing for the "Inevitable" - I'm pretty sure with what i experienced that - timing WAS off causing initial misfires/hunting idle and, whilst chasing faulty coil/plug possibilities and running the engine - Metal on Metal contact WAS heard it's a GREAT sound not....lol

so i'm expecting/preparing for a head off valve replacement

I still plan to check timing before i start pulling her to bits - if i can i'll pick up a 22mm socket over the weekend - funds are that low i can't afford a £7 socket at the minute

I'm not sure what i'll do if the timing lines up

I'm hoping to find timing IS off - in this case i think i would just accept that valves have bent - rather than fit new belt/tensioner and hope for the best - I heard contact and from the way it was last running, i'd guess a few are stuck open.

I think in this case i'd like to have a go at repairing this myself

It may take a week or 2 or 3....lol.... Once i have funds for all the parts i'll need - it adds up ......

Paul.