Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th February 2018, 20:22   #21
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

The biggest thing I find wrong with BMW is the repair costs especially electrical components. Before your car runs out of a warranty make sure it needs no software updates as these can be very costly.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 20:27   #22
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I drive new / newer cars than the 75 every day and the difference is night and day. As much as I love my 75 most newer cars drive and handle better. As an owners club most will stick up for the 75 till the very end but realistically they are starting to feel an old car. Enjoy the BMW, a work colleague has a 4 series gran coupe and it’s an amazing piece of kit!

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 20:30   #23
Anon3
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
The biggest thing I find wrong with BMW is the repair costs especially electrical components. Before your car runs out of a warranty make sure it needs no software updates as these can be very costly.
Good point!
I've looked into coding already, as the default stop/start setting, in "always on" has to go as soon as the warranty is out.

I'll read up on the software updates. Cheers

Villa, Stella, Balti.
It's Brummie latin that means, er......

Vis tester available to local V6 owners
Anon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 20:47   #24
Athorpe
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Out of interest what makes you say the Rover isn't a usable car everyday anymore,

Roads haven't really changed since they were new, and if anything there's more traffic so slower progress ?

Certainly a modern BMW will handle better and be faster, that's 20 years progress since the 75 was designed, but I'm not really seeing what makes the 75 unusable, they have plenty of useful toys - heated seats, auto wipers, 2 zone climate control, cruises etc and can sit at very illegal speeds all day.
Fuel economy isn't great on the V6 but that's well offset by maintenance costs and depreciation on a new car.

I'm interested as I've done the opposite and replaced a 4 year old Jaguar XJ with a R75 for 70 miles a day of fast A roads and motorway. I tried a 3 series 335 X drive but was put off by the reviews of long term ownership and the issues with it, and the ride even on adaptive suspension was just to harsh I thought. Brilliant when getting a move on but crushing it was harsh and found bumps the rover didn't, for fun it was great but I thought would be annoying day to day on a motorway. The Jaguar was a better compromise but still rode hard,
I much prefer my commute in the Rover, and while it does role and won't handle like a new 3 series, it's never found wanting in real world driving.
Athorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 20:50   #25
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon3 View Post
Good point!
I've looked into coding already, as the default stop/start setting, in "always on" has to go as soon as the warranty is out.

I'll read up on the software updates. Cheers
Embrace stop start, once you get the hang of it you will love it

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
Old 13th February 2018, 20:53   #26
Athorpe
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Your turbo(s) won't though
Old 13th February 2018, 20:59   #27
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athorpe View Post
Your turbo(s) won't though
It will only stop when it’s software decides it’s safe too

Old 13th February 2018, 21:06   #28
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Best one I've driven is on a Ford, fantastic never had to second guess it. Like it read my mind, brilliant bit of kit.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 21:13   #29
Athorpe
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
It will only stop when it’s software decides it’s safe too
Depends what the manufacturer deemed "safe"
Me and my Jaguar used to disagree on this regularly, and having worked in engine design and testify the things claims safe for them were rather scary certainly not what you'd want to do to it if it were yours. I used to switch stop start off all the time unless in to own centres
Old 13th February 2018, 21:13   #30
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Some work better than others as there are many many parameters to meet but once working it’s really good. I find the Fiat system very good, my son is learning to drive and if the car stalls, foot on the clutch and it’s running far quicker than turning the key.

Last edited by sworks; 13th February 2018 at 21:14.. Reason: Spelling