Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th March 2010, 06:38   #11
italianstallion
Loves to post

Currently - Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
Possibly..........but not something I could advise on...
I seem to been getting a bit confused. Can I just clarify one thing. When were talking about the HK setup, are we just on about radio as this isn't such as biggie for me, I don't listen to radio much. I would be happy to maybe buy a simple antenna, and connect up to the 4 speakers if such an installation is possible. Its the other stuff, like DVD's, Sat Nav, Cd's which I'm more bothered about.
italianstallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 06:45   #12
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianstallion View Post
I seem to been getting a bit confused. Can I just clarify one thing. When were talking about the HK setup, are we just on about radio as this isn't such as biggie for me, I don't listen to radio much. I would be happy to maybe buy a simple antenna, and connect up to the 4 speakers if such an installation is possible. Its the other stuff, like DVD's, Sat Nav, Cd's which I'm more bothered about.
You have the premium HiLine set up. The HK is intergrated into that. You can simply unplug it and plug any old head unit in which will connect up to the existing speakers.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 06:55   #13
italianstallion
Loves to post

Quote:
You have the premium HiLine set up. The HK is intergrated into that. You can simply unplug it and plug any old head unit in which will connect up to the existing speakers.
I know I know I'm a philistine!!! I need beating over the head with a wooden club

So basically the Harmon Kardon, is an additional speaker setup to the existing ZT sound system, and if I what to tap into it with the new head unit, I need to do the mods you suggest?
Old 9th March 2010, 06:59   #14
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Quote:
I know I know I'm a philistine!!! I need beating over the head with a wooden club

So basically the Harmon Kardon, is an additional speaker setup to the existing ZT sound system, and if I what to tap into it with the new head unit, I need to do the mods you suggest?
The HK set up consists of two elements........upgraded speakers, and the sub and amp.

The speakers are on the body harness, and the sub and amp are on the HiLine harness.
Old 9th March 2010, 07:02   #15
italianstallion
Loves to post

Quote:
The HK set up consists of two elements........upgraded speakers, and the sub and amp.

The speakers are on the body harness, and the sub and amp are on the HiLine harness.
So it may be possible to connect the HK sub and amp up body harness, by doing the loom you suggested?
Old 9th March 2010, 08:31   #16
Terryf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon BRG

Quote:
The HK will be a problem, as it's part of the hi line harness and not the body harness.

The aerial amp is easy to get hold of as it'll be fitted to most non hi line spec cars.
I don't have the hi line but I do have the HK and the lo line nav fitted when built. So what harness will I have?.
Terryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 08:39   #17
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryf View Post
I don't have the hi line but I do have the HK and the lo line nav fitted when built. So what harness will I have?.
A similar one to above, but not the same....
Old 9th March 2010, 08:56   #18
italianstallion
Loves to post

Quote:
Quick overview

The HK sub and amp, is wired as park of the HiLine harness. When you unplug the 17 pin BMW plug on the H/L harness, you remove the amp and sub from the set up. The speakers are all wired via the main body harness.

If you want to connect the HK back up, you need to make up a loom and from the head unit to the boot.
Greener's, sorry to trouble you again, is it a big job to make a loom from the head unit to the boot?
Old 9th March 2010, 09:03   #19
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Greener's, sorry to trouble you again, is it a big job to make a loom from the head unit to the boot?
It's a "do able" job, just depends on how much time and effort you want to spend on it.
Old 9th March 2010, 09:14   #20
italianstallion
Loves to post

Quote:
It's a "do able" job, just depends on how much time and effort you want to spend on it.
Not something I can do in a morning, DIY then? I take it, it's not just a case of running a few wires around the car from the rear to front then?

If the sub and amp are currently connected to the high line, then I assume that this is done by cables being routed from the boot to behind the dash, and then the BMW connector you mentions connects into the Hi Line Head unit from these cables. Isn't it feasible then to leave the existing wiring in place, and simply adapt the connector to plug it into the new double din.

I did a similar modification with my rear dvd head rests where I spliced the wires to a car lighter power plug, and it worked a treat with little hassle.

I know this is different but trying to look for a simple solution.