Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th April 2019, 11:34   #1
cloudbase
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Stereo help please

I have a conne with the HI-Line stereo in, sat nav, tv etc. I was thinking of upgrading the stereo with the large screen which has bluetooth, dvd player. If I have got this correct it is the Harmon Kardon system. Can anyone tell me is it just a direct replacement and will I still be able to use the cd player in the glovebox or do I need any extra bits, cables etc. Thanks
cloudbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2019, 11:58   #2
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

A modern unit will make the CD player in the glovebox obsolete.
It will store 100s of albums rather than 6 CDs.

I removed mine from the glovebox, which is handy space to use.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2019, 12:17   #3
cloudbase
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the info. I don't know anything about these units. How does it store the albums? Is it a direct replacement? Thanks for the help.
Old 12th April 2019, 13:01   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

You'd be better off posting your question in the "ICE" forum as this one is just for spotting members
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2019, 13:34   #5
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbase View Post
I have a conne with the HI-Line stereo in, sat nav, tv etc. I was thinking of upgrading the stereo with the large screen which has bluetooth, dvd player. If I have got this correct it is the Harmon Kardon system. Can anyone tell me is it just a direct replacement and will I still be able to use the cd player in the glovebox or do I need any extra bits, cables etc. Thanks
Which new stereo are you looking at?

The Harman Kardon is an optional extra from the factory, you either have it or you don’t. The tweeters in the front doors will have Harman/Kardon etched on them if you have it.

Disconnecting the Highline to fit an aftermarket stereo is fairly simple, however you will need to extend your radio aerial from the rear spare wheel well up to the front of the car to plug into your new head unit.
If you have Harman Kardon system this will no longer work as it is powered via the Highline systems radio amplifier.
That said, it is possible to reconnect it all back up as I did with mine but it is an involved bit of wiring to do.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2019, 19:57   #6
cloudbase
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I have the hi-line at the moment with sat nav, tv. But wanted to upgrade to the Harmon Kardon which has bluetooth, dvd etc. Speakers are standard. Just wanted to know if it was a straight swap without any extra wiring or other bits involved.
Old 12th April 2019, 20:02   #7
cloudbase
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

How do I move the thread to the ice forum?
Old 14th April 2019, 14:09   #8
cloudbase
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Stereo help please.

What I have got is the Hi-Line system with sat nav and tv. CD rom in boot for sat nav. New dvb unit yet to fit. What I want to know is can I fit the Harmon Kardon head unit and still be able to use the radio, tv and sat nav. I am not bothered about the speakers, sub woofer or amp. But would like to be able to use bluetooth and phone function. Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 13:53   #9
BigBen
Loves to post

R75 V8 Tourer, CDTi Auto Tourer (both Connie SE), MG ZT-T 190+, MG TF 115

The Harmon Kardon system uses the same head unit(s), it's just the Amp and speakers that are different.

I think what you're asking is whether or not the wide-screen BMW head unit will fit, which it will; but you will only get the same 4:3 square display size in the centre of the screen as the original hi-line unless you change the control unit in the boot too.

If you want an aftermarket double-din that will fit then there are a few that will work with the existing changer and have sat nav (it's an Alpine) but most people just buy a cheap chinese unit withor without a DVD player.

With one of these then you will lose the CD-changer but will have the ability to us music stored on SD cards or USB sticks.

Also, in this case, it's easier if you do not have harmon/kardon - because then all you need is a radio harness adapter to go from the 17-pin BMW radio plug to a standard DIN plug and you're good to go.

Edit - you'll also need an aerial extension cable.

[SIGPIC]https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/image.php?u=23989&type=sigpic&dateline=1467731033[/SIGPIC]

Past cars:-
BL: Discovery 3.1 & V8 2WD pick-up, Rover 800 Vitesse Turbo Coupe, 820 SLi 180 Fastback, 600ti, Montego 2.0EFi VDP, Ital 1.3 Estate
Ford: Transit Cosworth V6, Granada 2.9 V6 Scorpio & 2.8 V6 GL
Volvo: 480 Turbo & 1.7 ES, 240 GLE
Porsche: 944 2.7 Lux
Audi: 100 ESE 20v
Peugeot: 405 1.9 GR
Talbot: Alpine 1.6 Rapier S

Last edited by BigBen; 21st April 2019 at 19:35..
BigBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 07:34   #10
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

You need to understand what you have.
The Highline is the TV & Satnav Bordmonitor, the radio and video tuners in the boot.
The Harman Kardon is just a speaker upgrade with an amp and subwoofer. There is no Harman Kardon head unit.

If you are wanting an aftermarket double din, you’ll need the 17 pin BMW to ISO harness adaptor, and you will also need a 5m aerial extension to run from the boot to the new head unit.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote