Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th December 2018, 16:45   #1
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Default Diesel remap vs magic box

Firstly Hi to all as this is my first post
I've recently bought a low milage ZT 135 and was thinking about giving it some more power.
I've noticed on eBay various magic boxes which piggyback the ecu and claiming power outputs of around 160 bhp and an improvement in economy.
Does anyone have experience of these as I don't fancy buying one and ending up with melted pistons or something.
Obviously the other route to power is a remap, I'm in north Norfolk so not sure if there are any places which do them locally.
I have a ZR which has been remapped and is about 170 bhp and fun but as the MAF sensor has been written out of the map its a bit smokey and not the greatest economy vehicle which is why next year its having a bespoke remap to sort this out.
I don't want the ZT to be like this just have a bit more power and still good on fuel
Cheers
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 17:20   #2
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
Firstly Hi to all as this is my first post
I've recently bought a low milage ZT 135 and was thinking about giving it some more power.
I've noticed on eBay various magic boxes which piggyback the ecu and claiming power outputs of around 160 bhp and an improvement in economy.
Does anyone have experience of these as I don't fancy buying one and ending up with melted pistons or something.
Obviously the other route to power is a remap, I'm in north Norfolk so not sure if there are any places which do them locally.
I have a ZR which has been remapped and is about 170 bhp and fun but as the MAF sensor has been written out of the map its a bit smokey and not the greatest economy vehicle which is why next year its having a bespoke remap to sort this out.
I don't want the ZT to be like this just have a bit more power and still good on fuel
Cheers
Hi Russ,

Welcome! There are several members here who do the 160 remap. As such, that is the route most folks take. There is also a fellow who makes the Ronbox aka Synergy. His name is RON ( :-) ), and I'm not sure if he is a member here or was, but he doesn't post. His is reputed to be a good box, unlike many eBay ones.

Now, with all that said, the remap from here will get you a clean burning engine with very little (maybe) or no smoke at all. I think most of the eBay boxes will probably make smoke. I don't think the Ronbox will if at the correct setting. I have heard that getting the remap and then putting on the Ronbox can gain you a bit more power than just a remap alone. That means, though, your clutch might be more likely to slip.

Do all the mechanical checks and repairs FIRST - remap/box last.

Now, wait for others to reply. I have zero first hand experience in this area as I have not found my 75, yet. I am relaying what I have gotten from a LOT of reading.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 17:32   #3
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Thanks for that Glenn
The car had a new clutch at 69k just before I bought it, I've heard diesel clutches are weajk
Old 29th December 2018, 17:33   #4
Animal
Gets stuck in

Mg ZT

Your best bet is a remap

Get in touch with Trikey as he's your side in Norfolk

Build date: Tuesday, 18th June 2002 @ 08:53:49
This vehicle was the 4th ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
Mean Machine!
Infinite Diversity Infinite Combinations
KAPLAH
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 17:56   #5
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Cheers, I've sent him a PM
Old 29th December 2018, 18:13   #6
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

As others have said get the remap done and Trikey is your man locally.. I wouldn't worry about the clutch as mine has been done a couple of years now with no ill effects. Makes the car drive like it should and will put a smile on your face from time to time... I've also found my economy has improved slightly if anything.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 18:17   #7
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I have a 160 remap on mine now, but previously I fitted it with a synergy box.

Both made quite a difference to the feel of the car. My synergy also ran with a pierburg MAF. When I called to see Bigruss ( a T4, and remap guy on here) he showed me why it's better to run a proper Bosch MAF. With the Pierburg the fueling was a bit erratic. Russ also explained why the 160 remap is perhaps a better option. Basically, a tuning box bumps up the pressure of fuel in the common rail system so that when the injectors open if squirts more in. All well and good, but the common rail system runs at insane pressures to start with. So any increase could, and I say could cause problems eventually with the fuel pump. Many people have run the tuning boxes for years without any problems.

The remap, doesn't increase power by running higher pressures, so in theory, it gives the pump an easier time. In fact, it's not doing anything more than it would on a standard tune car

So, on that basis, I removed my box and pierburg, fitted a proper bosch maf and had the car remapped by Bigruss. Since then, it has run for nearly two years, drives great, gives low emissions at MOT time, doesn't smoke at all and gives better fuel consumption than it did before. Nothing to lose really.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 18:36   #8
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Thanks for all the replies, I'm sorting it out with trikey to get it done.
Does the MPG display respond to a remap ,ie gives an amended true reading of MPG
Old 29th December 2018, 19:09   #9
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I can't personally comment, mine doesn't have a MPG display. I recorded it on a couple of occasions with brim to brim fill ups. On a run, steady 70 MPH it does better on fuel than before.

However, around town. I have no idea.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 19:15   #10
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

I didn't realise the trip computer wasn't standard