Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th October 2018, 08:52   #1
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts
Default Am I doing something wrong?

So, the one person who has contacted me about the black car messaged last Sunday. Didnt bother to message back until yesterday and apparently wants a new one for £700. Wanted loads more interior pics, does this work, does that work (my ad already said it did) Are the seats perfect, are there dents, scratches, lacquer peel....it went on and on. In the end I said look its a £700 car its nice but not concours I think you're expecting too much he seems offended.

Am I honestly asking too much for it because I am seriously now thinking of breaking it for the exhaust and spares for the ZT. I cant take this kind of grilling for what is essentially a banger!

Shame to pull it to pieces when nothing wrong but it seems the way forward. (I assume the exhaust would fit the ZT)
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2018, 08:58   #2
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Don’t take it personally Dawn, people can take on an almost split personality when buying a used car.

£700 is a give away price for a working car, my neighbour pays more than that for the annual service for his Merc.

Try not to take it personally.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2018, 09:02   #3
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

It just got to a point I didnt know what to say to him. I get people need to be careful with money. Lord I know that. But you can only expect so much at the price?
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2018, 09:07   #4
victorgte

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

You will get a small sprinkling of idiots ask about the car. It happens. Most of the time they don’t turn up to view the car and if they do they offer you half what you are asking. It’s your car to sell so sell it to the person you want to sell it to. Sadly it’s the way car selling can be. Try to be patient and it will sell.
Old 27th October 2018, 09:29   #5
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I had an idiot, looked at my immaculate 05 low miles Conny SE and offered scrap price for it. The next person travelled 200 miles to see it, paid very near the asking price, in cash, and left the car with me until he could come back with a family member to collect it. You are doing nothing wrong, it's just that most people assume that buying a cheaper car has got to be a lemon!!! We all know different. The right buyer will be along shortly.
Old 27th October 2018, 09:38   #6
carnut
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Default keep at it

Do not take comments by buyers personally as sorry to say your in the banger market you know the cars good but they don't and trouble is if we search rover 75s for sale there is a lot around sub £1000 depressing I know , so its a buyers market . Yours had a lot done to it and sure it will find a home with someone who appreciate that Good luck
carnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2018, 09:48   #7
75c
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

No, you aren't doing anything wrong. I messaged you about bones, you were polite and responsive. Unfortunately, bones had been sold and so I couldn't have him.

The right buyer will come along.
75c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2018, 10:07   #8
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
So, the one person who has contacted me about the black car messaged last Sunday. Didnt bother to message back until yesterday and apparently wants a new one for £700. Wanted loads more interior pics, does this work, does that work (my ad already said it did) Are the seats perfect, are there dents, scratches, lacquer peel....it went on and on. In the end I said look its a £700 car its nice but not concours I think you're expecting too much he seems offended.

Am I honestly asking too much for it because I am seriously now thinking of breaking it for the exhaust and spares for the ZT. I cant take this kind of grilling for what is essentially a banger!

Shame to pull it to pieces when nothing wrong but it seems the way forward. (I assume the exhaust would fit the ZT)

You wait until the professional negotiators turn up to view the car. You will wish you were just negotiating disarmament between the two Korea's.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2018, 10:11   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Dawn.
Did the person want to come a view it,? if so say yes please come a take a look the car will then speak for it's self, point them to the listing on here if they were not from the club.

If it was someone from the club again point them to the listing & any other threads you may have posted about the car over the time you have owned it, i am sure they will find out all they need.

Also up the price a little to £900 and you may get a few more offers, sometimes a low price can put people off even looking, they can always negotiate with you after looking at the car or reading your sale listing.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2018, 10:25   #10
newhavenhibby
Avid contributor

JDM Subaru Legacy GTB6 twin turbo,, JDM Subaru Impreza WRX

Thumbs up

I have just read your ad and I don't think you are doing anything wrong for £700. ( a lot of car for the money)

I have bought many cars from ebay and ads and I have always related the amount of questions to the price being asked. ( usually based about paintwork, cam belts etc) If I was interested and you were asking £2000, I would have asked all the same questions especially as I try to get my cars up to show standard so need to know what the possible outlay is going to be. It is not always possible to go and view if the car is many miles away and those of us that have bought many cars have had that sinking feeling on seeing a car having travelled 200 miles to see it and know its not as advertised, so questions and even video files are useful. Last year I did this to see an MGZT ( despite all the questions and a 500 mile round trip) but that's another story!

However in this case what your asking is a very fair price for the car and the outlay ( if not a little low) , so just be patient and I am sure a buyer will come along. I don't know if it is advertised elsewhere but in my experience, Owners Clubs are not always the best place to try and sell.

Last edited by newhavenhibby; 27th October 2018 at 10:47..
newhavenhibby is offline   Reply With Quote