Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th May 2016, 14:15   #1
chubbygordito

MG ZT

Default Disaster has struck

Went in to Tesco's this morning, came out, went to start the car, fired up for 1/2 second and it died.

To cut the story short, the aux drive belt had started to disintegrate and had got caught up in the cambelt pulleys.

Got it towed home by the AA, took cam cover off, and it seems to be out by 1-2 teeth.

I aligned the cam pulleys and tried it by hand, but one of the pistons is hitting on something.

So, I've started stripping the head down in order to take the head off. Took the cams off, and one of the exhaust cam tappets is sat much higer than all the others, and the valve doesn't budge. I'm hoping its just the one valve that will need replacing.

Anyway, I'm really struggling to get the crank pulley off....is an impact gun the only way? Would a 12v one do the job? Tried a t-bar and bar and it wouldn't budge.
chubbygordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 17:20   #2
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbygordito View Post
Went in to Tesco's this morning, came out, went to start the car, fired up for 1/2 second and it died.

To cut the story short, the aux drive belt had started to disintegrate and had got caught up in the cambelt pulleys.

Got it towed home by the AA, took cam cover off, and it seems to be out by 1-2 teeth.

I aligned the cam pulleys and tried it by hand, but one of the pistons is hitting on something.

So, I've started stripping the head down in order to take the head off. Took the cams off, and one of the exhaust cam tappets is sat much higer than all the others, and the valve doesn't budge. I'm hoping its just the one valve that will need replacing.

Anyway, I'm really struggling to get the crank pulley off....is an impact gun the only way? Would a 12v one do the job? Tried a t-bar and bar and it wouldn't budge.
No the only way but probably the easiest. I bought a 240v by Parkside from Lidl. Did the job but you'll have to faff when doing the bolt back up as it has safety torque setting of 100 newtons.
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 18:41   #3
chubbygordito

MG ZT

I'll look at buying one and get it off.

I was looking round for a cheap car to drive while fixing the ZT......ended up buying another ZT
chubbygordito is offline   Reply With Quote