Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th January 2015, 13:25   #1
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Default Speaker installation 50 miles to brighton

Hello all,

I have attempted to get my head around installing a new pair of components speakers onto my connie (R75) and don't think I have the the tools, materials or the experience to deal with it.

Is there anyone within a 50 mile radius area of brighton that can fit some speakers (integrated within the door)?

I probably need better wiring to be installed with it from the head unit to the crossover and speaker/tweeters I have selected.

Can drive X miles to get there or if they are mobile great, I can pay for fuel for you to get here. I am game when I get cash for it within three weeks.

I tried Huets in hove that quoted me £200 just for having them cut into the door cards using the original wiring (even I can do that and I don't think it is worth that in the slightest!)

Thanks if anyone can deal with this predicament, stu
Old 4th January 2015, 19:28   #2
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Angry Thanks for all the amazing help!

So now apart from my contact with Cool cat and my arrangements with him, Don't reply to any of these posts or reply any more to these threads as I've just had enough of the elitist smugness of people that think they know everything and point their fingers and laugh instead of offering help and advice!

PM's are for constructive comments not being nasty so the mods don't see it, I was genuinely trying to ask for help and I just got the complete opposite!

Last edited by maxxpump; 4th January 2015 at 19:36.. Reason: I don't want to start anything as ive had enough! :(
maxxpump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 20:13   #3
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Er max............ are you looking to replace speakers behind the door cards or are you after cut and shut fitments?
Let me know.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 20:29   #4
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
Er max............ are you looking to replace speakers behind the door cards or are you after cut and shut fitments?
Let me know.
I would have liked to have integrated them behind the door card, but if I did just fit them into the door card itself would I have to use some extra fibreglass to strengthen the immediate area to stop it vibrating so much? I was thinking of removing the grill section and replacing that with a flat bit of board/fibreglass so it creates a indented ledge to mount the speakers into, it will also give me space to install a secondary smaller mid/high speaker in the top section while still having the low/mid in the bottom of it, I then could possibly fabricate a grill to go over the top to make it look slightly original. Im not 100% sure what i'm going to do yet, I will draw up some designs and give you a PM.

What would be the easiest way and what is the best way to do it for better sound quality?

The speakers I have got are these:

http://www.fliaudio.co.uk/portfolio/...grator-comp-6/
Old 4th January 2015, 20:32   #5
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Default Coab, one question among the field of them....

Question: what is cut and shut?
Old 4th January 2015, 21:39   #6
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxpump View Post
I would have liked to have integrated them behind the door card, but if I did just fit them into the door card itself would I have to use some extra fibreglass to strengthen the immediate area to stop it vibrating so much? I was thinking of removing the grill section and replacing that with a flat bit of board/fibreglass so it creates a indented ledge to mount the speakers into, it will also give me space to install a secondary smaller mid/high speaker in the top section while still having the low/mid in the bottom of it, I then could possibly fabricate a grill to go over the top to make it look slightly original. Im not 100% sure what i'm going to do yet, I will draw up some designs and give you a PM.

What would be the easiest way and what is the best way to do it for better sound quality?

The speakers I have got are these:

http://www.fliaudio.co.uk/portfolio/...grator-comp-6/
They will fit in behind the original door facia into the plastic speaker pod which is screwed to the door (not the card) so long as they are 165-170mm in size

I'll chat via email further tomorrow Sir.

Last edited by coolcat; 4th January 2015 at 21:56..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 06:49   #7
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Quote:
Question: what is cut and shut?
Cut and shut as in replacing the original speaker mesh on the door card. I upgraded my speakers on my last car and used the plastic holder that held the speakers to the door skin. The speakers are only screwed to the plate so can be modified without too much hassle to fit your own.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 15:10   #8
coolcat
This is my second home

Email sent Sir
Old 6th January 2015, 09:32   #9
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Default thanks cool cat

It seems though I'm on top of it now. But coolcat I will still be requiring you help a bit down the line in my secondary phase of my system upgrade that will be installing parcel shelf speakers, a bass port and new wiring (for once I upgrade all the speakers i'm running the whole lot off a seperate amp, i don't know if I can use the original loom for that or have to upgrade the wiring as these speakers are much heavier than the original rover soap box speakers). Thanks for the support and thanks for the quick reply to quote (as I said still useful as I still need help with the next phase of my speaker upgrade).

P.S: I know that fitting a bass port and parcel shelf spks are hard work, but I will pay you much extra. Ill have to talk to you closer to the time, probably be at the end of feb to beginning of march. Thanks cool cat!
Old 6th January 2015, 10:06   #10
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
It seems though I'm on top of it now. But coolcat I will still be requiring you help a bit down the line in my secondary phase of my system upgrade that will be installing parcel shelf speakers, a bass port and new wiring (for once I upgrade all the speakers i'm running the whole lot off a seperate amp, i don't know if I can use the original loom for that or have to upgrade the wiring as these speakers are much heavier than the original rover soap box speakers). Thanks for the support and thanks for the quick reply to quote (as I said still useful as I still need help with the next phase of my speaker upgrade).

P.S: I know that fitting a bass port and parcel shelf spks are hard work, but I will pay you much extra. Ill have to talk to you closer to the time, probably be at the end of feb to beginning of march. Thanks cool cat!
My suggestion would be to acquire another rear parcel shelf (make sure you get the right colour) as it will be much easier to work on the parcel shelf out of the car and then just drop it in once fettled