Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th July 2014, 18:25   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default mmmm cant change a belt

Car went for a service yesterday and as a precaution asked them to change the 2 belts in the engine bay. This is on a 2005 diesel.

I think the problem is with the long belt.
I think one of the pulleys need to be lifted to take the strain off the belt so it can be replaced. Apparently this is done by putting a spanner on the centre bolt and lifting the pulley by "undoing" the centre bolt. Alas the nut on the other side of the pulley is not tight enough for this to be done and instead of lifting the pulley, the bolt turns.

To get to the bolt where the pulley mounting bracket is, is I was lead to believe an engine out job. They tried to tighten the but and bolt that holds the pulley in place but could not do it.

have you experienced this and got a tip on what to do?

thanks

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 18:55   #2
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

I don't know about any of that, but what I do know is that the bolt head is in the centre of the pulley and is very awkward to get a spanner on and it needs to be turned clockwise to release the tension on the belt.

I also had to make a special spanner to do the job, which is available for loan (see below), should you need it.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 19:37   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Car went for a service yesterday and as a precaution asked them to change the 2 belts in the engine bay. This is on a 2005 diesel.

To get to the bolt where the pulley mounting bracket is, is I was lead to believe an engine out job. They tried to tighten the but and bolt that holds the pulley in place but could not do it.

have you experienced this and got a tip on what to do?

thanks

macafee2
Yep I've had this happen recently. It certainly isn't an engine out job.

I was in two minds as to either cut the belt and then get better access, or try and loctite the tensioner in situ and then release in the normal way.

As I didn't fancy going past the point of no return I loosened the lock nut, loctited it and then re-tightened it where it was.

Access is tricky though so it was a longer job. Don't forget it is a left hand thread.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 19:43   #4
seancar
Banned

75 tourer and t4

Its not a engine out but its not a nice job I have changed a few tensioners now. Not the best design in the world. It is easier if you make yourself a spanner .
Just remember think about it logically and its not as bad as it looks.
seancar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 20:36   #5
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancar View Post
Its not a engine out but its not a nice job I have changed a few tensioners now. Not the best design in the world. It is easier if you make yourself a spanner .
Just remember think about it logically and its not as bad as it looks.
Wise words of wisdom certainly, but would help if we had an idea as to what to do, is there a how to please.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 20:48   #6
seancar
Banned

75 tourer and t4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Wise words of wisdom certainly, but would help if we had an idea as to what to do, is there a how to please.
Sorry I cant do that, I can do it and show you how to do it. But it woukd not make any sense if I tried to write how to do it. My spelling is awful my grammer is even worse. It would not make any sense at all. I am sure one of the guys who can do it will if its not already been done.
seancar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 21:37   #7
johnny english
Avid contributor

rover 75 club cdti se saloon

Have a look in the "how too`s" for how to replace the alternator on a 2002 rover 75 cdt 2ltr by paulpj and the follow on by arctic which includes loads of pictures of the belts and pulleys. This may give you a better understanding of the layout.
Ed.
johnny english is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 23:46   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post

Just back it off a few turns (as mentioned it is left hand threaded so the opposite of the usual 'Righty Tighty Lefty Loosey'), apply a bit of Loctite with a long thin screwdriver, and then tighten it again and wait a few minutes for the Loctite to set.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 07:43   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Harry, thank you may well take up your offer of a loan spanner. Just a thought having looked on Google Maps, if I were to come to you would you undertake the job of changing the belts? For a condsideration of course.

Mike Noc, thanks I did not know it was a left hand thread.

I will take another look under the bonnet although the garage did say the belts are in good condition, no fraying, so shall I leave well alone?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 09:46   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Spanner dimensions

Always useful for tight situations

Brian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Spanner.pdf (12.1 KB, 34 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote