Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th July 2014, 01:24   #1
Howie666
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

Default Trolley Jacks

Hello. I'm looking for a decent trolley jack and axle stands so I can do some of the jobs the car needs myself. I looked on Ebay and the choice is bewildering along with the price range!
Does anyone recommend a trolley jack/axle stand set at all? I need something that's good value but preferably decent quality. I believe the old saying 'buy cheap, buy twice'. Any advice/links more than welcomed.
Thank you
1a. Headlights polished - DONE! (Magic Mike )
2. Auto dip rear view mirror
3. Seats replaced - DONE! (thank you Mischief)
7. Bodywork repainted
8. Inlet manifold changed for a working one - DONE! (Magic Mike )
Howie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 06:11   #2
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie666 View Post
Hello. I'm looking for a decent trolley jack and axle stands so I can do some of the jobs the car needs myself. I looked on Ebay and the choice is bewildering along with the price range!
Does anyone recommend a trolley jack/axle stand set at all? I need something that's good value but preferably decent quality. I believe the old saying 'buy cheap, buy twice'. Any advice/links more than welcomed.
Thank you

If you want to use axle stands one of the biggest problems I have is how to jack it up high enough to get the stands in position because many trolley jacks don't lift the car enough from the centre point you are supposed to use.

One solution, but an expensive one is adjustable car ramps. Many jobs dont need the wheels off so they are very useful for that.

They also allow you to drive on to them because they start off lower than the front skirt.

What you can then do is use them as a jack with the car still on its wheels, get the car high enough to get the axle stand in, and then let the ramp down if you really do need the wheel off.

As I say, expensive but very handy. Look for CJ auto's website.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 06:35   #3
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Halford's "lifting kit" is on offer again, trolley jack, axle stands, wheel chocks, wheel brace and a padded creeper for £50, usually £75.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 07:01   #4
Alan123
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon

Machine mart have a good range of jacks at decent prices
Alan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 08:12   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

My advice would be to forget the small, cheap, jacks which only give enough lift to get a tyre off the ground - they are only good for changing wheels, brake pads etc..

If you need a jack to get the car up on stands, at a height to be able to work underneath it, you need a jack with a decent lifting height. That basically means a semi- garage type jack. Which is what I have, I can put it under the centre lifting point at either end and lift it in one lift high enough to work under it, but not without stands of course.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 08:20   #6
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
My advice would be to forget the small, cheap, jacks which only give enough lift to get a tyre off the ground - they are only good for changing wheels, brake pads etc..

If you need a jack to get the car up on stands, at a height to be able to work underneath it, you need a jack with a decent lifting height. That basically means a semi- garage type jack. Which is what I have, I can put it under the centre lifting point at either end and lift it in one lift high enough to work under it, but not without stands of course.
Your jack also has a modified lifting point, the jack lifts high enough from the rear to place my higher than normal Draper axle stands.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 08:52   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
Your jack also has a modified lifting point, the jack lifts high enough from the rear to place my higher than normal Draper axle stands.
Not really modified, just a bit of wood turned so as to fit in the jack's cup. Wood on steel gives a better grip/ less chance of slipping, than steel on steel. It also avoids scratching paint off.

My jack also has a feature where it has two up speeds, rapid until it makes contact, then slow as it begins to lift. It cost me around £60 15 years ago from Brown Bros, on special offer.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 5th July 2014, 08:59   #8
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

The profession quality trolley jack I have was acquired from a barn in Kirriemuir. It once lifted a Transit van, I use it for light use only these days.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 09:11   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Halford's "lifting kit" is on offer again, trolley jack, axle stands, wheel chocks, wheel brace and a padded creeper for £50, usually £75.
Problem is, the jack is not able to lift a car high enough to get it onto axle stands, so the creeper cannot be used.

Old 5th July 2014, 10:18   #10
galaxyclass
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT+ 190

I have the halfords kit and as harry says, it doesn't quite lift the car enough to get the axle stands in. Last time i put a paving stone down so to give the extra height that could be slid from under the car once it was on stands. I admit that it looks a little worrying having the whole front of the car being held up by a jack but it worked. If I was to buy again I would look for a higher rated jack.
Mods done - Spyhole mod - Xenons - Blue dash lights (except message centre) - VIS indicators - Illuminated sun visors - Drivers grab handle - Smiley plate - Rear electric blind - Handbrake compensator.

Mods to do - Powerfolds - Better ICE - Headlight washers - Heated seats - cruise - And loads more i can't remember.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
galaxyclass is offline   Reply With Quote