Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd July 2014, 19:19   #1
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts
Default One for the T4 guys?

As most will know I dislike diesels and more in favour of the fantastic K series. Marmite broke down today with Mrs sworks and a long story shortened is that the car had to be recovered. In the past there have been isolated cases where throttle effect has had no effect but once released and pressed again all is good. This happened a few times this morning and then the car stalled. Car started but very little drive and when loaded up the car just stalls. When not in gear the car won't rev above 2000rpm. I have had a code of P1260 since we got the car which clears then comes back but has never caused an issue, thinking that possibly the fuel pump is on the way out I checked the low and high pressures which are ok, other than that no codes? What is obvious is that the MAF reads with ignition on but reads nothing when running. The only thing I can think of is an EGR issue which is causing the maf to drop and seeing as you can only burn something once not rev/drive? The maf is about 18 months old and was a gen xpart item, not convinced there is a maf issue as they run without it, which brings me back to egr which looks intact and can be worked with a mittyvac. I haven't checked if it's completely closed or staying open slightly as I only had about half an hour on the car. Am I missing something obvious?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (133.3 KB, 62 views)

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 19:21   #2
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Here's the second photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (136.4 KB, 54 views)

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
Old 2nd July 2014, 19:56   #3
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

Have you tried unplugging the maf, and or low pressure sensor?
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 20:06   #4
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Not yet, maf gets a reading when not running and never known a maf to stop a car from driving, both fuel pressures look ok too so think it's a ghost code of P1260, I know the sensor in the head gives issues but would have thought the pressure reading would reflect that

Old 2nd July 2014, 20:06   #5
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

The maf is not giving any readings at all, unplug it and try again.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 20:08   #6
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Will try disconnecting it tomorrow morning

Old 2nd July 2014, 20:46   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

All of the other figures look spot on Mark, strangely enough I did a 160 last week and the MAF was behaving exactly as per your T4 result.
The MAF had been replaced last year with a genuine Bosch unit, I'm wondering if there are some rogue units out there
Sorry I couldn't take your call earlier, driving back from a job

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 21:00   #8
sworks
Been absent for a while…

The only time I've seen similar was with an egr sticking open, on a more modern vehicle though. Suppose I was just looking into it too deep, looking for a reason why there's no reading I will disconnect it in the morning to see if it's then drive able. Annoying really as the maf that was removed to fit this one was the original and working fine, just happened to be in the right place at the right time for a new one!
Thanks everybody

Old 3rd July 2014, 18:00   #9
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Quick update, maf disconnected and car now at least drives. Can't believe it was just a faulty maf to cause the car to become completely un drivable, every days a school day! Went to fit my spare that I removed when I fitted the new one and realised I loaned it to a member last year, cheeky pm to see if he used it or not

Old 3rd July 2014, 18:22   #10
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

Glad it is working again
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote