Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th February 2019, 09:31   #1
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Default Tyre Protectors

Just received a pair of front tyre protectors from Rimmers. A year or so ago one of the front springs broke and shredded the tyre.

I did have both springs replaced, but mindful of time racing away, I thought I'd best invest in a pair in case of a future break.
Old 25th February 2019, 10:27   #2
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

I've just ordered myself new dampers & spring protectors too. I had replaced the rear dampers last year as one broke through its upper mount, so I though it was time to do the front. It'll be interesting to compare old against new - one of the rears was past it, no obvious leaks but was much weaker than the other. While I'm replacing the dampers I thought it would be silly not to add the spring protectors.

Rob

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2019, 10:33   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

A wise investment. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RSC000131

When they first appeared after MGR's recall, they were fitted FOC at service time. And later, DIYers could buy them from Rimmer for well under a fiver a set so I bought two sets. IMO, every 75/ZT should have them.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2019, 16:12   #4
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
A wise investment. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RSC000131
When they first appeared after MGR's recall, they were fitted FOC at service time. And later, DIYers could buy them from Rimmer for well under a fiver a set so I bought two sets. IMO, every 75/ZT should have them.
TC

For once Rimmers price (40.20€ including usual expensive shipping unfortunally) being below Ebay one at the moment, I've just bought a set for my 75 Connie.
I'm a bit doubtful that a spring of mine may broke but who knows...
Just in case, safer & cheaper than to get a tyre perforated & a staggering drive on the road in the years to come.
EDIT: I was conned. The French guy on Ebay put them down since my last visit hence 25€ including shipping!
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s

Last edited by Dorchester2; 25th February 2019 at 16:22..
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2019, 17:08   #5
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Just bought a set for fitting at the next nano - Endon services on eBay, two quid cheaper than Rimmers and ordered Friday afternoon, were here before 1pm today!
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2019, 18:43   #6
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

I'm just replacing the front broken spring on my 75......which has spring protectors on.

If they had not been fitted this spring would have ripped straight through the tyre. !

A worthy addition for little pennies. !!!
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 08:33   #7
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Smile Job done

I've noticed that oddly the 2 protectors are exactly similar hence that weird vertical tongue with a hole for a bolt (why? which?) below the large cup is either in the front or in the back once fitted on any of both sides. And mind my sealed plastic bag was a genuine MG Rover, so likely no mistake, and they were both fitted without any concern.

BTW Some of us are telling the story of a broken front spring that has totally ruined a tyre.
Never ever so far I'd heard of broken springs on cars but in the early times say before the 70s at large.

Either some roads are stuffed with potholes or some drivers are thinking they are doing a safari when jumping on the road bumpers (more & more of them in France unfortunately...). Last solution - but I give it no credit - during the BMW management era (1994-2000): very low quality springs.

Anyway a tyre being in excess of 50€ (less than £45) and being very worrying to have a break down in the middle of nowhere or worse a tyre bursting out in the middle of a motorway, I decided it was better & cheaper to invest 40€ (£35 Rimmers including shipping costs overseas) or less (25€ or £22 on Ebay France including obviously lesser shipping costs) than to take any useless & silly risk.
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 10:08   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester2 View Post
I've noticed that oddly the 2 protectors are exactly similar hence that weird vertical tongue with a hole for a bolt (why? which?) below the large cup is either in the front or in the back once fitted on any of both sides.

I asked the same question when they first came out. You'd expect them to be left and right handed like so many bits on the suspension. But no, they aren't handed, so the one design fits either side. As I recall, this is because the springs themselves are not handed. This means they tend to fracture in the same 'direction' if you get my meaning. They always turn/skew in the same direction when a break happens, so the guard tongue faces the fractured end on both sides.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 10:18   #9
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
I've noticed that oddly the 2 protectors are exactly similar hence that weird vertical tongue with a hole for a bolt (why? which?) below the large cup is either in the front or in the back once fitted on any of both sides. And mind my sealed plastic bag was a genuine MG Rover, so likely no mistake, and they were both fitted without any concern.

BTW Some of us are telling the story of a broken front spring that has totally ruined a tyre.
Never ever so far I'd heard of broken springs on cars but in the early times say before the 70s at large.

Either some roads are stuffed with potholes or some drivers are thinking they are doing a safari when jumping on the road bumpers (more & more of them in France unfortunately...). Last solution - but I give it no credit - during the BMW management era (1994-2000): very low quality springs.

Anyway a tyre being in excess of 50€ (less than £45) and being very worrying to have a break down in the middle of nowhere or worse a tyre bursting out in the middle of a motorway, I decided it was better & cheaper to invest 40€ (£35 Rimmers including shipping costs overseas) or less (25€ or £22 on Ebay France including obviously lesser shipping costs) than to take any useless & silly risk.

Poor road surfaces don't help but every experienced mechanic that I've ever spoken to says that they never used to have to change springs in years gone by but now their workshops are littered with broken ones being replaced.

They mainly put it down to cheap East European or Chinese steel being used in manufacture.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 10:24   #10
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
For once Rimmers price (40.20€ including usual expensive shipping unfortunally) being below Ebay one at the moment, I've just bought a set for my 75 Connie.
I'm a bit doubtful that a spring of mine may broke but who knows...
Just in case, safer & cheaper than to get a tyre perforated & a staggering drive on the road in the years to come.
EDIT: I was conned. The French guy on Ebay put them down since my last visit hence 25€ including shipping!
About 5 years ago an acquaintance of mine had a front spring go through his tyre on his 75 whilst travelling at 70mph in the outside motorway lane.

He reported struggling like hell to get over to the hard shoulder over three lanes safely after understandably experiencing the fright of his life.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote