Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th November 2018, 02:19   #8711
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Before......

After.....

Before......

After.....

And a gratuitous shot of the pipework leading up the dashboard up to the ABS modulator.

So all in all a productive day, the only original pipework on the car is that from the master cylinder to the ABS modulator, and the brake fluid has been completely changed.

I'm still not 100% happy though, the front to rear pipework, changed prior to my ownership (in copper) isn't as neat as it could be, so once I get my hands on an original set of front to rears (in a week or so time probably), I'm going to make a new set of Kunifer ones, which will be faithful to the originals, and not just cobbled in around the fuel tank

The other work attended to was to remove the seized bolt from the offside rose joint to allow for the removal of the corroded upper rear arm, and after removing the disc, hub bearing and brake backplate, it didn't resist Mr Angle Grinder, nor did the ball bush resist Mr Mash Hammer

So after a quick cleanup with a cup brush, the remnants of the rose joint were extracted, and the new one installed, then the new upper arm offered up for a test fit.

It was late at this point, so tools cleaned and put away, hands washed, and home for a nice hot shower.

Lots still to do later, so look forward to a couple more updates

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (135.7 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4071.jpg (130.5 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4072.jpg (133.4 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4073.jpg (140.1 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0006.jpg (139.4 KB, 151 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2018, 14:24   #8712
Animal
Gets stuck in

Mg ZT

Done to Blackie the new acquisition

changed the single horn to twin horns ( sounds better )

went to reconnect the headlight washers only to find the pump don't work ( new one ordered )

went to change the stereo over to a double din only to find the din plugs are hidden right down the back of the dash ( know what I'm doing tomorrow weather permitting )

changed drivers side fog light

scrap yard visit required for an undertray

Build date: Tuesday, 18th June 2002 @ 08:53:49
This vehicle was the 4th ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
Mean Machine!
Infinite Diversity Infinite Combinations
KAPLAH
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2018, 22:18   #8713
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Took Connie for her first MOT in my care and she went straight through . Then drove home and got the AA, who I work for, to tow my Tourer to the same garage for investigation of why the clutch pedal decided to stay on the floor when the wife was driving last night although I've probably just answered my own question there ! I have breakdown repair cover ,so that should sooth the sting
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2018, 10:59   #8714
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
Took Connie for her first MOT in my care and she went straight through . Then drove home and got the AA, who I work for, to tow my Tourer to the same garage for investigation of why the clutch pedal decided to stay on the floor when the wife was driving last night although I've probably just answered my own question there ! I have breakdown repair cover ,so that should sooth the sting
Pete, give your lass the car with the mongbox, probably cheaper and safer
Old 11th November 2018, 11:48   #8715
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Fitted a poppy onto Tarquin (and to he11 with the snowflakes), and stuck a Kernow sticker on Bones.
Old 11th November 2018, 16:48   #8716
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Pete, give your lass the car with the mongbox, probably cheaper and safer
My last 75 auto was my 2.0 V6 club and back in 2001 she left it in drive at some traffic lights at Doxford Park roundabout , looked down at her phone on the passenger seat and took her foot off the brake and promptly crept forward and hit the Astra van in front. She broke his light which cost a fiver to replace which I fitted for him, but did £1000 of damage to our new car needing a wing and bumper so we had to claim against ourselves ! I got the latest connie auto as she knacked the clutch 18 months ago but won't drive it as she likes to stay ' in control'

Last edited by patrolman pete; 11th November 2018 at 18:11..
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2018, 18:36   #8717
marinabrian

MG ZT

Refitted the driveshafts, then refilled the gearbox......

So next job is the upper rear arms, and the rework on the new ones has begun....

Beginning with pulling the rose joint yokes into shape, and with a bit of additional welding to close up the gaps, they will be ready to be sandblasted and painted properly....a job for tomorrow.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4075.jpg (134.1 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4076.jpg (121.2 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4077.jpg (142.6 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4078.jpg (135.5 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4079.jpg (139.7 KB, 220 views)
Old 11th November 2018, 18:37   #8718
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Finally replaced to rear bumper with a good one today. Me and the ex brother-in-law got stuck into it this morning. His soldering skills came in real handy as we discovered the parking sensors where after market and we no choice but to cut the wires to release the bumper. He re soldered all the wires back up and it now works perfect and looks great too. I did manage to cut my hand open pulling the old bumper away from the wheel arch (ouch) Easy enough to do though and quite satisfying see the end result. Happy days are here again :-) :-)
Old 12th November 2018, 21:12   #8719
marinabrian

MG ZT

Removed the nearside upper arm, decided I would send this one along with the two new ones to the shot blasters.

Made four convex washers to bolt over the pivot bushes to protect them from the sand blast process, then marvelled at the state of the frankly not fit for purpose "paint" finish of the new arms, including the completely bare inside complete with rust flakes and outer paint which can be removed with finger nails........bear in mind these were unwrapped from the packaging less than a week ago

On their return I shall block up the drain holes, and fill them with zinc anti rust primer, then drain, followed once dry with chassis black.

The outside will be etch primed, then four coat of chassis black, followed by a liberal dose of cavity wax, then waxoyl outside once fitted.

You can only hope this slows the deterioration process, as if these were fitted as supplied, I'd be surprised if they lasted more than three or four years

You never know, I might get this thing off the ramp soon

Brian
Old 13th November 2018, 22:27   #8720
Shapfell
Loves to post

Rover 75 Conn SE saloon / MG ZTT cdti auto

I gave the ZTT a birthday today with fresh oil, fuel and air filters, a nice oil change and reset the service clock. Found the PCV had already been swapped for a 'fit and forget' BMW PCV unit - Bonus! Also found the lower engine mount was 'repaired' with garden hose hammered in..... interesting! New one en route.....

2004 Conn SE 1.8
Work so far:-
Gerry T, Rad Fan Resistor, Handbrake Compensator, Bonnet Catch Block, Leather Handbrake gaiter, Journey Camera,
Sean's DD Unit with Freeview!, Towbar, Rear Sunblind, Smiley!, Headlamp Protectors, Alloy Intake, R75 Brolly, Puddle lights, reversing camera.

2004 Connie CDTi Tourer; replacement for the ZTT.

Last edited by Shapfell; 13th November 2018 at 22:43..
Shapfell is offline   Reply With Quote