Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th February 2017, 22:15   #11
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I have used Waxoyle for over 40 years. I can assure you that it creeps very well into all corners even if you don't put any on the full component that you use it on. I had a Rover 2600 SD1. The rust bug was starting to attack the underside of the rear wing. I cleaned it up and put Waxoyle on it. About six months later, I noticed that the paint was starting to lift on the said wing lip and outside the wheel arch. On closer inspection, I found by running my fingers along where the paint was lifting, underneath there was a fine covering of what turned out to be Waxoyle. It had crept along under the paint between the metal and paint and lifted the paint off the metal. This paint was affixed firmly to the metal because I had tried to rub down the bubbling paintwork right down to the metal and it was I assure you it was firm. That is the reason I have always used Waxoyle.
Old 17th February 2017, 14:21   #12
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

Nothing wrong with waxoyl

http://www.auson.se/sites/default/fi...nthly_uk_0.pdf
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 14:54   #13
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerbox View Post
Why is it sills rot on many cars, I believe ours are not too bad for it, but many are? Surely this well known issue could be resolved by manufacturers. Built in redundancy ? It's not right IMO
Built in redundancy. All cars made of stainless steel = no new sales. Average Joe keeps a car for 3 - 4 years from new, I think. Expected manufacturer "lifetime" of cars is around 10 years, I would expect.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 15:14   #14
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
I mix my 5 litre tins of waxoyl with a 5 litre plastic container of WD40, this makes the Waxoyl much more runny and it then creeps into seams and welds much easier.
A few containers under the sills and areas that might ooze the mixture is a good idea as it can be run through a gauze and used again.
I've done it this way for many years, the only thing though is to remove as much rust as you can before doing the job. Make sure cavities are clear of mud and dirt, a light coating of road dust is OK though.
Old 17th February 2017, 19:17   #15
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

In all fairness, I do have an old jam jar & paintbrush in the garage, full of Waxoyl, for any external areas that require some additional protection. I've also found that it softened old underseal on my Discovery, where I brushed some on around the seat mounting bolts.

But having used Dinitrol thinned 50/50 with white spirit on various internal cavities over the years, my thoughts are that Waxoyl (even when thinned) is still the thicker of the two and hence this greater viscosity will reduce it's penetrative effect.

But each to their own
Old 17th February 2017, 19:28   #16
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

I use this stuff, love Bilt Hamber products
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 08:15   #17
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
In all fairness, I do have an old jam jar & paintbrush in the garage, full of Waxoyl, for any external areas that require some additional protection. I've also found that it softened old underseal on my Discovery, where I brushed some on around the seat mounting bolts.

But having used Dinitrol thinned 50/50 with white spirit on various internal cavities over the years, my thoughts are that Waxoyl (even when thinned) is still the thicker of the two and hence this greater viscosity will reduce it's penetrative effect.

But each to their own
Waxoyl will always soften Bitumen sealants due to it containing white sprit. Most cars now don't use bitumen in their sealant these days as it can crack and split leading to water ingress. In fact softening bitumen sealant can reduce the effect of splitting and cracking plus of course the Waxoyl will often bridge any cracking.
My 50/50 mix Waxoyl/WD40 is purely used inside cavities, A pillar B pillar, sills, cavities above and inside wheel arches (often forgotten) where you can see it slowly ooze from the double skinning and spot welds on the arch lip, inside trailing arms and subframes.
Remove plastic, arch liners and once clean and dry a good spray in these areas is an insurance against corrosion, if the weather is dry for a couple of days leave them off to allow the Waxoyl to flash off in the air. In these more vulnerable areas I use 75% Waxoyl & 25% WD40 mixed.

The thinner products on the market to my mind although they may penetrate well do not have a sufficient surface area to withstand abrasion from road debris and large amounts of water from really wet roads......... again each to their own.

Last edited by murphyv310; 18th February 2017 at 08:20..
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 09:55   #18
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
I use this stuff, love Bilt Hamber products
Same here. As their products are designed for ocean deployment Bilt Hamber is an excellent choice. I have previously used Waxoyl and found it good stuff if messy to use. When thinned down it can creep better but the smell from the white spirit can hang for a while.

One area that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the leading edge of the bonnet, which can corrode. Bootlids are easy to do and it's worth getting a good coating in them as the wax also acts as sound-deadening.

Coating behind the wheelarch liners is also a good idea as moisture can be trapped between the body and the plastic.

If there is one thing I will not have anywhere near any of my cars it's old fashioned underseal. Absolutely dreadful stuff.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 10:24   #19
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Can't deny the smell from Waxoyl, gives the missus heartburn.
It's even worse when mixed with WD!! Good job I don't smoke.