Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th January 2017, 20:19   #1
unimatrix1066
Avid contributor

Zt and zr express van morris minor

Default Breakdown cover

I am currently with the Aa, the renewal is due as usual they want big bucks.
Just seeing if any of the other recovery services are good
unimatrix1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 20:44   #2
jonty
Avid contributor

mg zt t 190

for the last ten years I have used tesco clubcard points for the R A C.£10=£40

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
jonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 21:04   #3
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Try Nationwide. I have the Flex Plus account. It gives you travel insurance, mobile phone insurance, breakdown cover - home start, relay and european cover (all for you as driver or passenger) and white goods extra year warranty.

All for £120 year / £10 per month. I think they use Britannia for rescue. I have used them once and they responded fine, within 2 hours, but not so quick.

The AA wanted £200 (for joint cover) and £200 for European cover for a year. No way Jose.

AA when called upon by my brother, took 4 hours near Dover (that back water of the UK ) and that was with a limited mobility passenger.

Other bank accounts have similar offers.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 21:14   #4
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

I phoned the AA, moaned about the cover renewal quote and got it knocked back to the previous year's price, which meant £70 knocked off. Might be worth calling them for a whinge about it.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 21:17   #5
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

I swap between the AA and RAC each year, the renewal is always more expensive, so I go join the competition for half the cost.

This year the AA gave me £95 cover for just £20 to stay, I couldn't refuse. All I did was to call them to question the renewal.

If you join the money saving sites such as QUIDCO and TopCashBack, you can get upto half the cost back, sometimes it can workout with free cover with the cashback, all depends what deals are on at the time.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 21:20   #6
Groundhog
Posted a thing or two

Citroen C5 Aircross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I phoned the AA, moaned about the cover renewal quote and got it knocked back to the previous year's price, which meant £70 knocked off. Might be worth calling them for a whinge about it.
I do this every year with the AA

They say the same thing, that my quote is computer generated, They put me on hold for a few minutes then come back with a cheaper price. Last renewal they knocked £75 off the quote and also gave me "Onward Travel" free.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 21:56   #7
Dart2050
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connie SE CDTI Tourer, MGF and Triumph Bonneville America

Smile

I have Green Flag cover as part of my NatWest account. Used it a few times and service is excellent. Even come to your house. Unusually there is no car age limit, you won't get that if you buy it off the shelf. I won't quote account charges as there a number of choices available with different options to suit different book. Go have a look at www.natwest.com
Dart2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 22:19   #8
good_mojo
Loves to post

Facelift Rover 75 Classic CDT auto and Connoisseur SE 1.8T

Default Autoaid

I've used Autoaid for years.

If you break down they send out a local company to deal with. You pay up front and then claim the costs back. They are very cheap, but I've never had any problems with them.
good_mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 23:24   #9
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Agree on all the above about calling to get the price reduced.

Be careful of going for an outfit you have never heard of especially one that uses local garage services to get you back on the road. I have a customer who used one of these services and was happy with his premium until he actually broke down. It was a bank holiday Monday and he made the call, the operator said he would have to wait a while as they were so busy and also the nearest garage they had to him was about an hours drive away. Eventually the mechanic tuned up in his beat up van and said there was nothing he could do so he would have to get recovered. The mechanic made some calls and told him he would have to wait a while. 4 hours later the truck tuned up and loaded him and then told him he only had an hour tacho time left so he would be taken back to the yard until they had a spare driver to take him home ( 3 to 4 hours). He had broken down at 11am and eventually got home at 3am the following morning and the breakdown was a snapped fan belt.

Also be careful of the breakdown cover that comes with some motor insurance, this often will only take you to the nearest garage to be ripped off. In some cases it will only take you a maximum of 10 miles.

Breakdown cover when you drive a 10 year or older car should be considered part of the annual running costs especially if you are thinking of keeping it a few more years.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 06:41   #10
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

I had RAC with discount from being in this club, but last year changed bank account type and had it built into the Nationwide as mentioned above.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote