Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th December 2016, 18:09   #1
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Default Are our cars being broken unnecessarily

Have been looking at parts on the bay just for the hell of it, and I must admit I am astonished at the prices of some items, and the range of things being offered for sale, some people must have a very optimistic view of life, and I am left wondering that at this rate most of the cars on the road today will be gone in 5 years time, broken for spares, as soon as a tyre develops a puncture so to speak, why repair just break car sell everything for thousands job done, please convince me that I am wrong, and please remember when these cars are gone, with them goes the very last vestige of British car making.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 18:17   #2
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

I think it's more a question of not being able to save every one we come across.

Take this ad

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...06#post2418406

That fella tried to find someone to take the whole car for £150 and breathe life into it - no takers after 16 days so it was scrapped.

I'd have taken it if I could, doubtless so would many other members. The problem is, to everybody who isn't an enthusiast it's a financial decision not an emotional one
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 18:34   #3
spongeh
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 180 Sport Auto

I broke one of my cars after timing belt failure on a KV6. Initially started trying to just get back what the car owed me, but I also look at some of the stuff being broken and wonder why.

Take a look at this one. It's basically my perfect spec, 75 CDTi Auto Connoisseur SE Highline with driver information pack and some extras like the wood steerin wheel and only showing 86,000 miles at its last MOT. Pictures even show it running so it's not a failed engine or either of the pumps.

Scrap yard will have paid pennies for it and will now make loads breaking it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-C...sAAOSwx2dYExlh
spongeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 18:39   #4
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default But..

If there was an easy way of saving the cars we'd all do it. The factor is cost with most people, clutches cost a lot, timing belts cost a lot and many other items also cost a lot. I did think that the Atlantic Blue one would be fairly cheap to mend...£900 later it was done and I broke even but, If I counted hours put in at £1 per hour, I'd still be way out. I'm glad I did it and it's saved a rare car, but I couldn't do that too many times, it's going to be the repair costs that finish most of them off.
The ZT project I have will cost me at least £2000 and I'm doing all of the work, it will simply cost that much to do if I want it right. The costs of repairs should always be plotted against a replacement car but, many people think that spending thousands on a new car is better than £500 on the old one, it's that mentality that's seeing off the 75/ZT models. In the old days the bodywork rotted out, you scrapped cars because they rusted, these cars get scrapped for basic mechanical failures.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 19:07   #5
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

The Cowley car I bought 2 weeks ago is now being assessed for its potential to save it.
Hand brake, headlight bulb, number plate bulb and 2 front ARB drop links is not going to stop me saving it. If there is extensive rot on the suspension etc I will have to cost it before going ahead. I'm doing it to drive it as it's a rare colour and it oozes quality being a PPD car. Like many, I can't afford to have more than 4 Rovers and no more space.
Old 19th December 2016, 19:19   #6
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I think a lot more of us would look at a second car as a restoration project - if we had the room for it.

Most modern houses that have garages are not long enough for the 75, my 75 is about a foot longer than the integral garage ..
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 19:39   #7
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeh View Post
Take a look at this one. It's basically my perfect spec, 75 CDTi Auto Connoisseur SE Highline with driver information pack and some extras like the wood steerin wheel and only showing 86,000 miles at its last MOT. Pictures even show it running so it's not a failed engine or either of the pumps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-C...-/262742088007
That is still in the yard - I went past it while getting a few bits for the Hippo. As of last Friday it still had a complete leather interior, with heated electric memory seats and Hi-Line system in it.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 19:40   #8
Jdwoodhou
Loves to post

R75 1.8 Con SE Man Saloon

It's just down to economics. It's clearly a classic but until there are only a handful left and prices rise it's not worth restoring them. Just look in the small ads in Classic Car Weekly etc - lots of cars in there that were going for £250 back in the day when nobody wanted them but are now rare and desirable.
Old 19th December 2016, 19:53   #9
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I hate to say this, but the majority of these cars on the road are not cherished and would be better contributing to a few really good ones being saved long-term.

I don't care about prices, but I do like to see those examples which are really cared for by their owners.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 20:29   #10
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default But

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
The Cowley car I bought 2 weeks ago is now being assessed for its potential to save it.
Hand brake, headlight bulb, number plate bulb and 2 front ARB drop links is not going to stop me saving it. If there is extensive rot on the suspension etc I will have to cost it before going ahead. I'm doing it to drive it as it's a rare colour and it oozes quality being a PPD car. Like many, I can't afford to have more than 4 Rovers and no more space.
I spent more hours than enough on the Blue one over the last few weeks, I do feel rather smug now that it's done. If I got another with a good bodyshell I'd save it, I won't bother with rusty ones. The subframes are just a minor nuisance to change, and any car with suspension faults won't phase me at all. If you take a step back and really look at the cars, it has to really be something serious that scraps them. A full rear subframe and refurb will be £200 at the most, not counting lower arms, a front one even less.
So, let's weigh it up for those who can do and those that can't. I'd reckon a £5,000 spend for those that can't would make a car with a good body perfect again. I'd think that would be £2000 for those of us that can. I would also think that both figures are high if you want a budget car, a lot of owners/members own them because they're cheap to buy and run till they break.
So to recap, if you bought a Rover 75 `Connie` for £300 that cost £25,000 new, and you wince at spending £500 to make it good....You have the wrong car and you will scrap it rather than make it good. It's the same old story and it's been here before. A Rover/ZT is not a bargain basement car to own, it is a very expensive car that needs the correct maintenance to keep it on the road. If you buy one because it's cheap you will be one of two classes of owners, ecstatic because you got a bargain you will treasure or, satisfied with your bargain until it breaks down.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote