Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th May 2016, 15:43   #1
Monty Hotspur
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default KV6 Throttle Issue

Seeing as the weather is so nice right now I took the covers off my car today, hooked up the battery and let it run up to temperature.

As I got in to give it a gentle roll up and down the drive to check the brakes I blipped the throttle gently. Up they went to 2k. And stayed there. Then crept up to 3k, and a bit more, and a bit more.

Thankfully the bonnet was up so out I got and gave the throttle cable return spring a nudge, and it duly wound back. Some lubricant on it later and much wiggling of the arm, it seemed to be better if not exactly snapping back. So in I got and gave the throttle a gentle prod. And up to 2k it went, and stayed there, and went up again, and again. Back out and prodding of the arm got it back down to idle again, and time for a head scratch.

Looking at the problem has given me two areas to dive in and look at.
  • The return action of the throttle arm on the body is rather more mañana than mousetrap style.
  • The throttle cable itself is routed fine with no sharp kinks or snags anywhere, but feel a a bit on the stiff side. So it could be dry and/or tired of it's life.
The pedal seems to be fine in springing back when pressed by the way, although a dab of silicon spray would doubtless keep it like that. So it looks like it's time for the throttle body to come off for a good clean. Lucky I have a good half dozen tins of carb cleaner and some rags handy. Any tips before I get spannering? It looks pretty straightforward to me.

Apart from that all seemed fine, just the one light bulb blown over the winter lay-up and everything else operating as it should. Even the fan came on after a while although the drip-drip from the coolant expansion tank is something I will check later. Just a tad frustrating I can't take it round the village for a shake-down until I sort this little issue out.
Monty Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote