Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th June 2007, 21:43   #11
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

if you have the driver information pack then you may have the sub harness... thats what I surmised some months back anyway. someone disprove this?
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 14:50   #12
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Right back from the scrap yard with a boot full of loom and ECU's.......now the good news or the bad news........

Well the good news is that I think I've got everything. I'm going to sit down and lay it all out and check, mark everything up etc....

Now the bad news..................

The CC loom is not seperate nor is it a sub loom, it is part of the main loom. It took me over 2 hours to strip it out, and they had already removed the dash, centre consol and engine. The windscreen was also missing whch helped no end. Alo the wiring that goes into the engine bay appears to run down both sides, so again theres a lot of other stuff to strip out.

I've ended up with every wire from the fuse box to the front of the car, and to the bottom of the "A" pillar.

I'll post some photo's later..
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 15:23   #13
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

That is exactly what I expected now if you unwrap the black tape you will find a few wires go to the cluster some to the engine ECU probably also to the ABS ecu etc (any chance you manage to snaffle a duff engine or immobiliser ecu for me whilst you were there?) others will be earths and some will go to headers for the K-bus and power etc.

If things go as I expect you should find holes in yours cars connectors where the pins from this loom needs to go

Just think spaghetti and it becomes very easy :SHOCKED:

Last edited by Keith; 5th July 2007 at 15:37..
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 15:30   #14
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
That is exactly what I expected now if you unwrap the black tape you will find a few wires go to the cluster some to the engine ECU probably also to the ABS ecu etc (any chance you manage to snaffle a duff engine or immobiliser ecu for me whilst you were there?) others will be earths and some will go to headers for the K-bus and power etc.

If things go as I expect you should find holes in yours cars connectors where the pins from this loom needs to go

Just think spaghetti and it because very easy :SHOCKED:
ECU went with the engine, as did the plug and loom, which means they'll be a fair bit of making up to do.

There were a couple of other boxes I couldn't identify, but I did get the throttle body and vacum pump which are specific to the petrol CC set up.
Old 5th July 2007, 15:39   #15
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Oh yes sorry I keep forgetting you are doing a petrol engine so yes lots more bits invloved.
Did the donor car have Traction Control as well?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 15:48   #16
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Oh yes sorry I keep forgetting you are doing a petrol engine so yes lots more bits invloved.
Did the donor car have Traction Control as well?

Don't think so, as the engine had gone and the dash switche panel had 4 holes which I think was

Heated seats x 2
Rear blind
CC
Old 5th July 2007, 16:03   #17
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Ok......

I've started with the under bonnet bits first. The donor car was a 2 litre V6 manual and mines a 2.5 V6 manual.

The first check is that the throttle bodies are the same, as the CC one has some extra mountings for the actuator, and I'm relieved that they are identical.

Next plan is to fit the throttle body and vaccum pump.
Old 5th July 2007, 19:16   #18
Greeners

MG-ZTT

This is how much loom I've ended up with, BUT the good news is, I've been through the wiring diagram and every connector is there. I've marked them all and checked each plug fits it's ECU and has not only the right number of wires, but the correct colours as well.

The only problems to date are:

1) The vacuum pump goes on the inside of the drivers side inner wing. According to Rave it's installed from underneath. Looking from above, it's a very tight fit and the loom comes in from below so it's definately a ramp job.

2) I did ask them to keep all the brackets and screws as they dismantled it, which they didn't, so hopefully there won't be any odd ones required.

3) There are a large number of connections into headers. I haven't dismantled one yet, but I guess that once they are crimped up they're permenant.

I need to identify the rest of the loom to see if anything else is of any use, as the donor car had heated seats etc.

This is not going to be a 5 minute job by any means.....
Old 8th July 2007, 17:18   #19
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

Looking good; looking forward to seeing the pictures of the headers - this is the area that I don't understand too well. But from your experience, it looks as though I'll need practically the whole front wiring loom from a diesel ZT with cruise...?
Rob Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 15:55   #20
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Made some big steps today.

Having started out with the whole front loom, it seemed like a good idea to seperate what's needed and whats not.

Again the loom was laid out on the floor and I carefully unpicked the CC loom from the main harness.

The hardest part was popping the terminal out of the headers. Once I'd worked out how they were assembled, taking them to bits was easy. Some are connected on both rows and some are insulated between rows.

Lots of photos and masking tape to mark each wire. I had a fear of how many wires I'd cut whilst removing the whole lot (only 3 and they are all earths) and how many were in multiplugs that couldn't be dismantled.

Well there are 2 on the speaker wiring which are part of the steering wheel controls that I had to cut, and 2 others that went into a connector that I couldn't dismantle. After a quick cuppa, I established how it came to bits, so I've soldered and heat shrunk them back together.This is now whats left to be installed.

If you compare it to the previous photo, very little.

And this is how much loom tape and heat shrik had to be removed

This next photo shows the hardware that needs to be added

Starting from the top, throttle body, cruise ECU, petrol interface unit, actuator assemby and finally vacuum pump.

Cleaned the throttle body up as it was fully of broken glass. Whent to fit it and discovered, that my original has already got the ball fiteed that the actuator fits on. This is potentialy good news as originally there were 2 different throtle bodies, so my car may already be partially fitted for CC

So all I needed to fit was the bracket and actuator assembly.

Had another look at the vacuum pump's location. I'm now hoping that if I jack the car up and remover the wheel, I may be able to get it in through the inner wheel arch.

I've got to remove the liner at some stage to get the loom through the big grommet. This will be a cut and solder job as the plug is too big for the end of the grommet.

Next stage is to fit the ECU's and see how much wiring already exists, and fit the switches on the steering wheel.